#1 Fri 01 Aug 14 10:04am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

August 2014 Challenge!

Welcome to the August Challenge:

'Childhood Favourite!'

What is the meal you associate with happy childhood memories?

Or What was the meal or food you loved most as a child?

Cook it up and share the photo and recipe with us and hopefully you will tell us a bit of the story too!
(Yes! If it is some processed junk food see if you can make a home cooked version! Challenge!)

I have no idea how I will judge these because how could one be better than another? But I will pluck someone out to set next months challenge! I hope there are lots of nostalgic wonders to choose from.

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 01 Aug 14 11:04am

Earthmum

Forum champ
Occupation HR / mum / jack of all trades
From England
Member since Mon 21 Sep 09

Re: August 2014 Challenge!

Good challenge, a trip down memory lane is good at any time, I will start the ball rolling with these - my mum called then "maids of honour" not true to the orginal recipe, line a bun tin with pastry add a dollop of jam and top with sponge mix then ice if liked.  Made these yesterday and thought they looked good enough for a photo as they cooled on the tray.

Likes (3)

#3 Fri 01 Aug 14 11:37am

user2014

Forum champ
Occupation student
From kuklen,plovdiv,bulgaria
Member since Sun 05 Jan 14

well my dad always bringed fish to us and we had fried it i loved it eating it with potato salad...yum.today i dont eat fish just much as in my childhood.we also had some simple bulgarian dishes such as meatball soup or supa topcheta-a type of eggdrop soup,banitsa-yes,i remembered when our grandma made a big one.liked it very much and was not as greasy as the store-bought... walnut biscuits or orehovki ,wow i just remembered one time in which grandma used to bake two tins,wow...my mum was also master of the spareribs,she also cooked very delicious bulgarian traditional dishes which grandma taught her,grandpa was also a great "bbq cook" he always cooked things such as meatballs,steaks,sausages on the grill and today he does the same...we loved the traditions and we always obeyed them...

enjoying cooking easy and fast...
    Likes (2)

#4 Fri 01 Aug 14 3:38pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

for me it was beaten egg yolk with sugar or bread smeared with butter and sugar on top, eaten the sugar we got back saying there was none, it did not work ! I think you all have pics of these complicated dishes in your minds and memories
wink  big_smile

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 01 Aug 14 5:27pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

good challange Joy .
I try not to dwell on the food from childhood as it wasnt always great but I will try to think of something and take part if I have time ( but please dont choose me as a winner if I do ) .

some of my favorite childhood food memories are climbing the apple trees and eating the apples straight from the tree , or getting in the middle of the runner beans growing in the garden and eating then straight from the plant .

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 01 Aug 14 6:16pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Congratulations on winning the July challenge Joy and good luck judging this months challenge. Nice topic, I am not online a lot this month either but thankfully I am visiting my childhood home so I should be able to come up with one.... or a hundred things.

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 01 Aug 14 6:30pm

user2014

Forum champ
Occupation student

we had cherry trees,apricots and was a joy for me to go to the fields with grandpa,grandma and dad to look after them...well i didnt do that i picked the fruits and ate them straightly from the trees,my hands were dirty from the cherries,thought...

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 01 Aug 14 6:35pm

user2014

Forum champ
Occupation student

another was when i ate a whole beefsteak tomato with some cheese in the garden and bread with butter. i just love the simple pleasures of life...we also had blackberrie bush which i loved to [well it was tricky to get them] pick the fruits...we also had plums and pears in our garden...so many things on my mind-the most funny stinged by a nettles,will not forget it
lol ...

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 01 Aug 14 6:38pm

user2014

Forum champ
Occupation student

also loved grannys spinach soup which was eggdrop and with rich tomato sauce,she said that i will get strong like popeye the sailor  lol ...if i eat more of it,which i liked... my great grandfather also fed me some of the offal of meat which was very tasty,but from mum it was not...[will you believe i eat the animals balls]...

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 01 Aug 14 7:19pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Like Mummza, I try not to dwell on the food of my childhood, but I'll see what I can manage that isn't so awful wink.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)