Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Fri 01 Aug 14 11:53pm

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

Re: August 2014 Challenge!

O my I will love this challenge...lots of good food memories.

Likes (0)

#12 Sat 02 Aug 14 1:09am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Lovely to see such memories written here already!

And Eathmum, what a wonderful recipe to start. They look so delicious and I love  that they have morphed from Maids of Honour, or taken their name, somewhere along the line. Recipes and words, they both move and morph and cross boundaries and make their way into our hearts.

For poor Mummza and Marie and any others who have bad memories of childhood food, were there no exceptions? A meal at a friends place? Food at a fete? Meals in a favourite story?

Likes (0)

#13 Sat 02 Aug 14 11:46am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Fresh mulberries in a tree. Piklets, eaten hot with cold butter, as they came out of grandmas electric frypan. Pecans scavenged from the ground in her backyard. Rice, warm milk and brown sugar. The lasagne my mother made in my last two years if high school because she thought I needed it to help me think. Being allowed to mess up the kitchen creating things and learning how to make marmalade in my own. Christmas foods, icing cake, cherry chutney that stank out the house and the drama of the glazed ham one year.

Likes (0)

#14 Sat 02 Aug 14 11:50am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

My childhood was fairly plain food, freshly made but not interesting. My mother didn't enjoy cooking, still doesn't, but it was freshly made and she was happy to cater to my fussiness and foibles (like the times I wanted a different plate for each food). Being a fussy eater means I probably would've rejected anything more interesting. I had a lot of creative freedom as I got into my late teens and then in my early 20s when Jamie's shows started.

Likes (0)

#15 Sat 02 Aug 14 12:47pm

user2014

Occupation student
From kuklen,plovdiv,bulgaria
Member since Sun 05 Jan 14

i also had remembered a thing-aunt used to make macaroni and cheese,but recently she forgot about it...i asked her to make it again sometimes,because we got fresh pasta.i like it the greek way-pastisio. i loved it,bechamel sauce- one sauce that i will remember... yum ! oh,and porkbelly soup my grandma used to make,i like it.

enjoying cooking easy and fast...
    Likes (0)

#16 Sat 02 Aug 14 12:48pm

user2014

Occupation student

cohphanta wrote:

O my I will love this challenge...lots of good food memories.

what are your memories,coco ?

Likes (0)

#17 Sat 02 Aug 14 1:35pm

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

Growing up in Louisiana, I think just about every meal was a food memory. I will share stories every time I post a pic.

Likes (0)

#18 Sat 02 Aug 14 8:57pm

user2014

Occupation student

this is good coco. another favourite childhood dish was the bulgaria-style goulash.in my bulgaria we have two kinds-segedin goulash or hungarian and with peppers,i liked it a lot and it was my weekend favourite dish.my grandma worked in a restraunt ,and was a very good cook.when we got back home she cooked for us her delicious dishes. i liked alot her spaghetti with chicken recipe  and is my other favourite,she also has been in italy.she liked it there and stayed,dont know but maybe two-three years,then she got back home...because of my uncle,she is a parent of dad and uncle.when uncle came home she was happy to cook some of her recipes again...i will remember that night when we got home and offered spaghetti,and all but uncle ate. i was surprised that he never tried and has known what is real italian cuisine...

Likes (0)

#19 Sun 03 Aug 14 11:14am

beerforyorky

Forum champ
Occupation Retired
From Surin, N.E. Thailand
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

Well done JoyTomYamDaisy.

You now have me dreaming. Forget the tomato and even the haslet sandwiches. And Yorkshire's are so "common" now. My dear old mum (rest her soul) used to cook the most delicious beef and potato pie (pastry crust only on the top) but my favourite of her dishes must be what she called "seasoned pudding". It was a starter and was served with lashings of onion gravy. I haven't cooked one for a while but this is a picture of one when I did.

Likes (0)

#20 Sun 03 Aug 14 11:22am

beerforyorky

Forum champ
Occupation Retired
From Surin, N.E. Thailand
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

Oh, I forgot - I should post what's in it...........

1 loaf of bread (preferably past it's sell-by-date) broken up and soaked in milk for 1 hour.
Beef suet (or vegetable suet) to the equivalent of 1/3 the quantity of the loaf.
Chopped onion to the equivalent quantity of the loaf.
1 Egg.
1 tsp Sage.
Salt and pepper

Squeeze the bread with your hands or in a sieve to remove the majority of the milk. Discard the milk. Add the remaining ingredients to the bread and mix well. Place the mixture in a greased tin or oven-proof dish to a thickness of 30 to 35 mm. Bake in a preheated oven (200 degC) for around 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until the pudding is brown on the top.

Likes (0)