forum: Everything else

#1 Sun 10 Jul 16 12:33pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Quartz vs timber bench top

I'm nearing decision making time for the new kitchen. Already planning simple plain white doors for cabinets (IKEA). The bench top is still undecided; any opinions on timber or the composite quartz tops?

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 10 Jul 16 1:48pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Re: Quartz vs timber bench top

Timber's nice - looks good and has a nice feel, but can be hard work to keep nice.  Quartz composite might be easier to keep clean, but you're also more like to break anything dropped on it even from a small height.  However, I think I'd go for the quartz composite over timber...

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 10 Jul 16 1:51pm

Sandy

Forum champ
From Durban South Africa
Member since Thu 24 Jun 04

Would also go for the Quartz

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 10 Jul 16 11:38pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

I wouldn't have wood. I don't like the look (too dark/ oppressive) abs then there's the maintenance issues as Olivia pointed out.

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 11 Jul 16 3:02pm

SherylS

Occupation Totally food obsessed bookkeeper
From Melbourne, Australia
Member since Wed 13 Aug 08

Quartz.   We had Corian,  a quartz resin mix - sort of.  It was fab, in ten year i had about 3 very small chips in the edges and all stains polished of and we are talking about an all white bench top!

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 07 Aug 16 6:21am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

We're going Quartz. Tossing up between a brownish grey or a creamy white. This is for the island, the stove bench is barely bigger than the stove so it didn't seem worth paying so much for it. We're doing timber there.
Mr rabbit is putting the drawers in and we are about 2 and a half weeks from a functioning kitchen. The nearby Thai takeaway is going to miss us.

Likes (3)

#7 Sun 07 Aug 16 10:17am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Nice choice White Rabbit , I've got timber , apart from around the sink area it's needed little in the way of maintenance .

Why I chose beech wood work tops was that if they got marked they could be sanded down and re oiled , I have not needed to do this as they didn't mark !
Having said that my daughter and son in law moved into a house with wooden work tops and that was covered in marks and scuffs .
my son in law simply sanded them down and reoiled then and they looked really good again .
I think that this issue was the quality and age of the wood that was used for the work tops when they were made , I know what I bought from the kitchen suppliers was beech wood that was very hard , well seasoned  and heavy , I think what my son in law and daughter inherited with their house was a different wood and not such a good quality .

I'm changing my kitchen soon as the one we put in 20 plus years ago hasn't worn as well as I'd hoped . Broken draw fronts and doors , the work tops however are still fine .
In my head I'm planning a 'free standing'  kitchen , so will use free standing units rather than one sweep of fitted units, I think it will both suit the  odd shaped small kitchen better and be more practical , it would also give me more room as with a fitted kitchen the units need to be set away from the wall .  The existing work tops ( if they are not needed )  I am planning to cut and use as shelving as they are still really good.

I do plan to have a piece of marble on one of the units , I used to have a marble slab in the kitchen years ago and it was so good for rolling pastry out on . I have 2 large marble slabs in the garden shed at the moment that came from Victorian washstand so , they are pretty old . One of them is the marbles slab I used to use in a previous home but never quite made it into the kitchen here .

I have freinds with quartz work tops and they love them.
With chips on them ( as mentioned by Sheryl) I think it partly depends on the way the edges are finished , from visiting people , I've noticed that the straighted edges seem to chip easier than if they are rounded . So I've done to the conclusion that rounded edges on the quarts are more practical !

Last edited by mummza (Sun 07 Aug 16 10:18am)

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 07 Aug 16 11:23am

Sandy

Forum champ
From Durban South Africa
Member since Thu 24 Jun 04

Great choice WR, post photos when finished please.

Likes (0)

#9 Sat 13 Aug 16 9:34am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

Only a week away from a bench top. It's 3m by 1m island so there was a limited choice of the reconstituted quartz.

So it's a cooler grey than we wanted but any other colour was $900 more.

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 23 Aug 16 12:36pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

Quartz island

Likes (0)