forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#51 Fri 02 Sep 05 1:01pm

Mona Lisa

Occupation Mum
From Melbourne, Australia
Member since Wed 11 Aug 04

Re: COOKIES ANONYMOUS

I remember when I went to Hawaii for my honeymoon (10 years ago), I filled my suitcase with all different types of macademia nuts as I love them to bits (honey coated, chocolate coated, salted, unsalted etc. etc.) only to find out upon return to Melbourne that Hawaii largely imports their macademias from Queensland here in Australia.  Alas, here's a family favourite.  lol

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 (12-ounce) package or 2 cups white chocolate chips
1 to 2 cups macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped

Preheat oven to 375*F (190*C).
In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
In large mixing bowl, with an electric mixer at medium speed, cream together the butter and both sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Gently stir in flour mixture until just combined. Fold in the white chocolate and
macadamia nuts.
Drop cookies by rounded tablespoonfuls onto a non-stick cookie sheet (or lined with parchment paper) about 1-inch apart.
Bake for 9 to 12 minutes or until lightly golden, turning cookie sheet around after 5 minutes to ensure even browning.
Transfer cookies to a wire rack and cool completely. Store in airtight container.

Makes about 5 dozen cookies.

Likes (0)

#52 Fri 02 Sep 05 1:05pm

Mona Lisa

Occupation Mum

I'm on a roll.  By the way these recipes are tried and tested by moi (io)(me) and are truly delicious.   lol

Cookie:

1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/8 tsp. almond extract
1 egg yolk
1 cup flour
a dash of salt

Grease 24 miniature muffin cups, or put little paper cups in the tins. In a small bowl, beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add vanilla, almond extract, and egg yolk; blend well. Lightly spoon flour into measure cup; level off. Stir in flour and salt; mix well. Chill dough for one hour for easier handling. (Note: I don't like almond flavor, so I leave that out and increase the vanilla accordingly.)

Place about 2 teaspoons dough into each muffin cup; press dough into bottom and up sides to form shells. (Note: spread the dough pretty thin; it puffs up a lot in baking. Also, it helps to flour your hands.) Bake at 350 degrees for ten to fifteen minutes or until light golden brown. Remove from tins carefully; cool.

Filling:

2 tbsp. (that's one ounce) unsweetened cocoa
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp. (one ounce) Kahlua

In small bowl, beat cocoa and 1/2 cup butter until light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar and liqueur; blend well. Spoon filling into pastry bag with desired decorating tip; pipe filling into cookie cups.

Store in refrigerator. Makes two dozen.

Likes (0)

#53 Fri 02 Sep 05 2:21pm

Montana

Forum champ
Member since Mon 21 Feb 05

Mona Lisa

WOW!!   

The pecan brownies sound divine :!:

Kahlua cupcakes - oh yum!  I'll have to print those out and try them.

Thanks for sharing.

Montana 8)

Likes (0)

#54 Fri 16 Sep 05 12:11pm

Marie M.

Occupation Student, cookbook reading procrastinator
From Tübingen
Member since Wed 14 Sep 05

Hi!
I loooooove this topic! As seasonal recipes are okay, I'll just contribute a few German Christmas cookies...

Ausstecherle

Sift 1 pound flour onto board, make well in center. Add 4 eggs, 250g sugar and 250g butter. Knead until well mixed, refrigerate for one hour. Cut into any shape you like. Brush with 1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon milk, decorate with raisins, chopped nuts or dried fruits, chocolate chips or coloured sugar. Bake at 180 degrees C for about 15 minutes.
Or: Cut out rounds (about 4 cm diameter), bake as instructed above, glaze half of them with icing sugar and lemon juice, spread the other half with sour jam (cherry or black currant), cover with glazed ones.

Kokosmakronen (coconut snwoballs)

Beat 5 egg whites until stiff, gradually add 300g sugar. Fold in 250g grated coconut, grated peal of 1 lemon and 30g flour. Use 2 teaspoons to place little heaps of dough on cookiesheats. Bake at 150-175 degrees C for about 20-25 minutes. They're best fresh from the oven, when they're still hot and soft....Oh, the smell!!!

Nougatkipferl

Sift 300g flour onto board, make well in center. Add 100g butter, 1 egg, 1 packet vanilla sugar, 1/2 package baking powder and 200g chocolate breadspread (Nutella). Knead until well mixed, refrigerate for 30 minutes. Shape into little croissants, place on cookie sheats and bake at 190 degrees for 12-15 minutes. After cooling , dip ends into melted chocolate.

Hope you like these!

Merry Christmas!

Marie

Likes (0)

#55 Fri 16 Sep 05 12:25pm

Kaff

Forum champ
Member since Fri 11 Feb 05

Yum! This thread has made me so hungry... yum to pecan brownies. And Marie, those ‘Nougatkipferl' look divine. How much is a package of vanilla sugar, and also of baking powder? We dont get them in packets like that here.

How long do they last?

Thanks
Kaff

Likes (0)

#56 Sun 25 Sep 05 10:50am

Montana

Forum champ

Kaff,

Packets of vanilla sugar:  that's the way they are conditioned here.  My packets are 7.5 g.

I've never found vanilla extract easily available, so I just substitute this. 

Anyone got anything new and exciting :?: 

I haven't baked any cookies/biscuits recently.  sad

Likes (0)

#57 Mon 26 Sep 05 1:16pm

Mona Lisa

Occupation Mum

These are pretty quick to whip up if you know guests are coming around or for the kids for school or just to have something different for a change.

1 3/4 cup self raising flour
60g (2oz) butter
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon liquer (eg. Galliano, Grand Marnier, Cointreau, Amaretto - whatever you have).
whipped cream
icing sugar

Sift flour into basin, rub in butter, add sugar, mix well.  Make well in centre of dry ingredients, add combined lemon rind, vanilla, egg and milk, mix with wooden spoon to a soft pliable dough.

Turn onto a lightly floured surface, knead gently until dough is smooth; dough should be soft and pliable.

Roll dough out gently until 1cm (1/2 inch) thick, cut into rounds with a 5cm (2 inch) cutter, place on lightly greased oven trays, about 2.5 cm (1 inch) apart.  Bake in moderate oven 15 to 20 mins or until light golden brown; cool on wire rack.

When cold, split each biscuit in half with fine serrated knife, brush cut side of each top half of biscuit with combined water and liqueur.  Join biscuits with whipped cream, dust tops with sifted icing sugar.

Makes about 12.   lol

Likes (0)

#58 Mon 26 Sep 05 2:39pm

Montana

Forum champ

Great suggestions ladies!

Marie M - do you have any gingerbread recipes or other traditional German Christmas items???

Mona Lisa - Keep them coming in they sound devine!!!

Sounds like both of you love baking  wink  wink

Likes (0)

#59 Mon 26 Sep 05 5:04pm

Stefanie

Forum champ
From Flashing my gold
Member since Fri 09 Jul 04

Lisa....I echo Montana,and loudly...KEEP 'EM COMING!!!

I'm chuffed to bits about the Kahlua Buttercream cookie cups...so excited!!!!
I'm making them tomorrow...oh yes I am!

Ah well...what am I gadding on about.
I don't have any time tomorrow,much less this week!  :x
But I'm definitely gonna find some time this weekend to try them out,so watch this space!

Likes (0)

#60 Mon 26 Sep 05 10:02pm

Montana

Forum champ

Were you going to send me any???

lol  lol

wink

Likes (0)