Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#61 Tue 27 Sep 05 3:18am

ChookM

From Melbourne
Member since Wed 07 Sep 05

Re: COOKIES ANONYMOUS

All of the above recipes have been or sound delish, so I thought I'd add two of my basic and yet fav choc chip recipes.

250g butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup (165g) sugar
3/4 cup (165g) firmly packed brown sugar
1 egg
2 1/4 cups (335g) plain flour
1 tsp bicarb of soda
2 cups (300g) dark choc melts, chopped coarsly

1.Preheat oven to moderate - 180-200c ish
2.Beat butter, extract, sugars, and egg in small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Transfer to large bowl.
3.Stir in combined sifted flour and soda in two batches, into the egg mixture. Stir in chocoalte, cover and refrigerate for one hour
4.Roll level tablespoons of the dough in balls; place on greased oven trays 3cm aprt.
5.Bake uncovered in moderate oven aprox 12-15 min.
Cool cookies on trays.

Makes aprox 40

This is a Aus Women's Weekly recipe from "The Weekend Cook" cookbook.  It also contains snickerdoodles and refigerator cookies which are also yum and easy to make.  A great buy with quick and easy sweet and savoury recipes.

Red Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies

For all fans of M&M's this is by far the best recipe.

3/4 cup butter softened
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 firmly packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 vanilla extract
1/3 baking powder
1 1/3 plain flour
pinch salt
230 grams M&M minis
1/2 cup of chopped nuts (OPTIONAL)

1. Preheat oven to 180c
2. In a large bowl cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Beat in egg and vanilla
4. Blend in, sifted flour, baking soda and salt.
5. Stir in M&M's minis and nuts if using.
6. Drop heaped tablespoons about 5 cm apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 10-13 minutes or until edges are slighty browned making sure centres arte still soft. DO NOT OVERBAKE
7. Cool for 1 min on cookie sheet then cool completely on wire racks.

Makes aprox 24

With both of these recipes I have found that they will freeze weel as they still taste yummy and do not loose their crunchy texture once defrosted. I find this handy so my children, or me for that matter, don't end up eating them all in one hit.

Likes (0)

#62 Tue 27 Sep 05 11:37am

Marie M.

Occupation Student, cookbook reading procrastinator
From Tübingen
Member since Wed 14 Sep 05

Hi Kaff, Montana and everyone!

sorry for replying so late, but I've been busy with start of term- preparations...
Now, about the baking powder and vanilla sugar: They're sold in little paper pockets here, keep for a few months and contain about 3 slightly heaped teaspoons...

I've found you a rather quick and easy gingerbread recipe you can also use to build these little decoration houses with... All the other recipes seem to contain exotic spices or raising agents or require 6 weeks to mature before baking...

SIMPLE GINGERBREAD
Ingredients :
240g honey (spoon out of the jar into the doublecooker and check the weight difference9
160g sugar
200g wholemeal rye flour
400g wholemeal wheat flour
2 eggs
4 egg yolks
160g butter
16g baking soda
30g gingerbread spices (available in shops here, mixture of cinnamon, ground cloves, nutmeg, powdered ginger, fennel seeds, coriander, anis)

Method:
Combine honey and sugar, cook over low heat in double cooker until sugar has dissolve. Allow to cool down to room temperature. Add flour, eggs and egg yolks and knead until dough forms. Add butter a little at a time, mix in. Add soda and spices, knead. Refrigerate over night. Preheat oven to 170 degrees C, roll the dough out to about 8mm thickness, cut into shapes, brush with milk and bake for 15-18 minutes. Glaze with castor sugar dissolved in water or lemon juice.

ALMOND HEARTS
These are delicious and crunchy, but not the kind of cookie you could bake in november and keep until New Year's Eve. They keep for about 2 weeks.

Ingredients:
250g sugar
250g grated almonds
60g grated chocolate
1 pinch(or more) cinnamon
120g flour
3 eggwhites
milk to brush
more chocolate to decorate

Method:
Combine dry ingredients in bowl, mix well. Beat egg whites until stiff, fold into mixture. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, then roll out thinly and cut out little hearts. Place  on greased cookie sheat,brush with milk and bake at 175 degrees C for 15-20 minutes . Dip into melted chocolate when cooled down.

GRANDMA'S NUTTY COOKIES;-)

These are really classic and delicious , though the recipe hasn't been passed on by my own grandma...One musician  (not a very serious one, though he competed in the Eurovision song contest, even metionned them in a song)

Ingredients:
65 g butter
65g sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla sugar
1 egg
150g flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 jar apricot jam
another 100g sugar
another 100g butter
another tablespoon vanilla sugar
200g hazelnuts, chopped or shaved
chocolate for decoration

Method:
Beat butter, sugar, vanilla sugar and the egg until foamy. Sift in flour and baking powder, mix well and spread onto greased baking tray. spread with apricot jam. Melt butter, sugar and  vailla sugar over low heat, bring to boil and add hazelnuts. Spread on dough, bake at 180 degrees C for about 20 minutes. Cut into triangles while still hot, allow to cool and dip corners into melted chocolate...

Hope you like! And there's much more to come...There are so many traditonal Christmas cookies and breads...Have I ever mentionned that I'm absolutely mad about Chritsmas and start preparations some time in late october? shops here are even earlier,though. They start selling gingerbread in early september when school barely has restarted after the summer  holidays...
Merry Christmas!

Marie

Likes (0)

#63 Tue 27 Sep 05 7:40pm

Montana

Forum champ
Member since Mon 21 Feb 05

Lucky you Marie!

Nothing more fun than a Christmas fair and finding new decorations or figurines (santons) to go under the tree!

ChookM, I'd love the snickerdoodle recipe - haven't had those in years!

Thank you for the others as well.  I'm printing them out to try them.

Montana 8)

Likes (0)

#64 Tue 27 Sep 05 10:32pm

Soft

From Cookin' in Canada
Member since Sun 25 Sep 05

Mains à la mélasse (Molasses "Hands")

5 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup lard or shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 cup molasses
1/2 cup strong tea

1.    Sift together flour, soda, baking powder, ginger, and cinnamon.  Cream shortening, gradually add egg and sugar, beat until the consistency is that of light cream.
2.    Add molasses and tea, then dry ingredients.  Mix well and refrigerate for several hours.
3.    Roll out to about 1/4-inch thickness.  Cut with a cookie cutter in the shape of a hand or other desired shape.
4.    Bake for 8 to 10 minutes at 400°F.

Applesauce Cookies

1/2 cup shortening or butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, unbeaten
1 teaspoon vanilla or other flavoring of your choice
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 to 3/4 cup chopped nuts
1 1/2 cups applesauce
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
2 cups pastry flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1. In a mixing bowl, beat shortening or butter, eggs, and flavoring until light and fluffy.
2. Add raisins and nuts.  Sift together dry ingredients and add to mixture gradually, alternating with the applesauce.
3. Pour batter into a greased 9"x 13"x 2" or 8"x 8"x 2" (depending on whether you want a thin or thicker cookie) baking pan . Bake in a 350°F oven for about 30 minutes.  To test for doneness, press the cookie with your finger.  A small impression will remain when cookies have finished baking.
1.    Place baking pan on a wire (cake) rack.  While cookies are still warm, cut into sticks measuring 1 1/2" x 2".  Roll in powdered sugar.

Variations :

Banana : Substitute ripe, mashed bananas for the applesauce.
Fig : Replace raisins with 1 cup figs, cut into small pieces.  Omit ground cloves and add 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg.
Brown Sugar : Substitute brown sugar for white sugar.  Only use butter, and flavor with 1/2 teaspoon almond extract.
Pumpkin : Substitute chopped dates for raisins and applesauce with puréed pumpkin (canned pumpkin works well).

Carrés d'amour (Love Squares)

Base :
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 egg yolks
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder

Topping :
1 cup chopped nuts
1 cup dates, chopped and pitted
2 egg whites
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

1. Cream butter, add sugar and egg yolks.  Sift together flour and baking powder.  Stir flour into batter.  Mix well.  Spread batter into an 8"x 8" greased baking pan.
2. Mix together nuts and dates.  Spread over base.
3. Beat egg whites until they form snowy peaks.  Add vanilla and brown sugar.  Pour over date-nut mixture.
4. Bake in a 350°F oven until cookies are a nice, golden color (about 30 minutes).

Likes (0)

#65 Tue 27 Sep 05 11:02pm

Montana

Forum champ

Those Mains à la Mélasse sound wonderful!  What does the strong tea actually do to the taste?

:?

Montana 8)

Likes (0)

#66 Wed 28 Sep 05 4:47am

foietruffledisiac

Forum champ
Member since Wed 07 Jul 04

Does anyone by chance have a recipe for those incredible cookies with white chocolate chunks and macademia nuts? I love those! Thanks in advance.

Foie
big_smile

Likes (0)

#67 Wed 28 Sep 05 11:15am

Marie M.

Occupation Student, cookbook reading procrastinator
From Tübingen
Member since Wed 14 Sep 05

Hi Montana, Soft, Foie and everyone!

Sorry,  Foie, I haven't got the recipe you need, but I think a similar one was posted earlier here under this very topic.
Soft, your recipes sound great... Will definitely put the Mains on my to-try-list (I've got one every year before Christmas and as my mother hates baking and is glad for me to do most of it, I get to try all the cookie recipes I'm interested in;-))
Montana, I'll just post two more recipes today, both very traditional. Yes, christmas fairs are absolutely lovely, especially when you go there with friends and have a cup of Glühwein (hot, red wine with sugar, cinnamon and other spices; if you like I'll find you a recipe)... But preparation at home is great ,too. Don't know if that's common in other countries too, but here in Germany we decorate our living room with a wreath of twigs (apples, stars, baubles etc on it) with 4 candles on it and start lighting the candles 4 weeks before christmas on sunday evenings. That's the time to eat cookies, listen to records, sing christmas carols etc...

anyway, here are the recipes...

ZIMTSTERNE (cinnamon stars)
My mum hates these , because they contain lots of sugar, are rolled out on sugar, glazed with lots of sugar and the kitchen's really sticky afterwards if you're not really careful. But they're traditional and delicious- and for some reason she insists on making them personally every year;-)

Ingredients:
4 egg whites
pinch salt
300g castor sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
450g grate almonds
grated peel of 1 lemon
2 teaspoons cinnamon
extra sugar 8or almonds) to roll the dough out on

Method:
Beat eggwhites and salt until very stiff, add castor sugar and lemon juice , stirring continually. set aside 4-5 tablespoons of egg white mixture. Fold almonds, peel and cinnamon into rest of the mixture. Roll out the dough to 1/2 cm thickness and cut out stars. place on greased / paper lined baking tray. Spread starts with reserved egg white mixture and bake at 160 degrees C for about 20 minutes.

KISSINGER BRÖTCHEN
They've got nothing to do with Henry Kissinger. They're from the town of Bad Kissingen. Brötchen (which usually means bread rolls) is another word for Christmas cookies.

Ingredients:
600g flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
200g grated hazelnuts (+ more for decoration)
300g sugar
pinch salt
1 tespoon cinnamon
2 eggs
200g butter
apricot or red currant jam
chocolate for decoration
halved walnuts

Method:

Combine dry ingredients, make well in center. Add eggs and butter, knead until dough forms and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Roll out to 3mm thickness and cut out hearts or other shapes (even number of cookies of the same shape, they'll be "sandwiched" later).Place cookies on greased baking tray and bake at 200 degrees C for about 10 minutes. Put on wire rack to cool down. Spread half of the cookies with jam, place the others on top. Spread sides with melted chocolate, dip into grated nuts. Spread top with chocolate, decorate with walnut halves.

Hope you like!

Cheers,

marie

Likes (0)

#68 Wed 28 Sep 05 7:21pm

foietruffledisiac

Forum champ
Member since Wed 07 Jul 04

I had skimmed through this thread.......... and must have missed it. I'll take a closer look. Thanks just the same.

All The Best!
Foie
big_smile

Likes (0)

#69 Wed 28 Sep 05 9:08pm

Montana

Forum champ

Marie M., I worked with a German man in Paris and the first Christmas with us he and his (German) wife made all sorts of cookies (although I cannot remember the names of the ones with the almonds), very thin shaped like windmills...ring any bells?

And of course Glüwein!  Have you got the recipe for Glüwein?

ChookM, I must have missed your M&M cookie recipe the first time around - sounds delicious and I've got a mission to get some with Halloween colored M&M's very shortly!  Thank you!!

wink

Likes (0)

#70 Wed 28 Sep 05 9:11pm

Montana

Forum champ

Just for you - I recopied this from early in the thread. 

Must give credit where credit is due - it's Stefanie's recipe  :!: 

Macadamia Nut-Chocolate Chunk Cookies:
4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 ounces best quality dark chocolate,chopped
3/4 cup roughly chopped macadamia nuts*

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet and set aside. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Add the egg, almond extract, and vanilla and mix well.
Onto a sheet of waxed paper or into a bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and mix well. Fold in the chocolate and nuts.
With a 1/4-cup scoop, portion out the dough onto the baking sheet, leaving 2-inches between each piece. Bake until the edges are golden brown but the centers are still slightly soft, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes. With a spatula, transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool.

*NOTE: If the nuts are salted, rinse under cold running water and pat dry before using
Yield: 1 dozen large cookies

Likes (0)