Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Tue 07 Sep 04 3:07pm

LadyRed

Forum champ
From Vienna, Austria
Member since Wed 18 Aug 04

Re: Foodology

Hi there!

Just stumbled over this recipe of "Figs Stuffed with Foie Gras Mousse" and remembered your question. Here is the recipe + picture!

http://www.leitesculinaria.com/recipes/ … _figs.html

Likes (0)

#12 Wed 08 Sep 04 7:41am

foietruffledisiac

Forum champ
Member since Wed 07 Jul 04

Nice one! I love the taste of fig, particularly black figs, and foie (forget about it). I have yet to try both together........look forward to it, sounds good. big_smile  Thanks for the recipe.
Just last night, we did a degustation item that incorporated foiegras butter. It was filet mignon grilled, then we made this sauce with veal reduction, shallot and garlic, hard herbs, green peppercorns, and then mounted it with loads of foiegras butter, salt and freshly ground black pepper..........talk about heaven.....(just a beautiful, velvety consistency, and well rounded flavour)

Likes (0)

#13 Thu 09 Sep 04 9:38am

LadyRed

Forum champ
From Vienna, Austria

That sounds really delicios foietruffledisiac! I'll try it the next time when I need something special!

Just a question, the green peppercorns you used, are they fresh or the ones you get in a sort of marinade? And how do you make foiegras butter?

THX in advance
LadyRed ;-)

Likes (0)

#14 Thu 09 Sep 04 8:34pm

foietruffledisiac

Forum champ

Hi LadyRed,
The green peppercorns that we used are the ones bottled/jarred in brine. Along with the green peppercorn taste, the brine that they are in also gives whatever you are cooking a more intense flavour.

Foiegras Butter
In a large bowl place butter. It's better to use a high grade butter, like Plugra. Let the butter come to room temperature; so that it's pliable with your hands. Being that the foiegras is of soft texture, cut into about medium dice, place in a food processor, puree until close to smooth. You want a fair amout of foie to mix in with the butter. Place the foiegras in the bowl with the butter. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mix all ingredients well. Make sure the foie is distrubuted well in the butter. Take parchment paper / wax paper, place a good amount of the butter mixture in about the center of the parchment paper, fold a piece of the parchment paper over the butter mixture, then with the side of a cookie baking sheet / or sheet pan, press on top of the parchment and butter mixture to make even individual rolls. Once the butter mixture is even in the parchment, just roll and set aside. After you have finished making your individual rolls, place them in the freezer; so that they hold their shape. You can also even out the rolls with your hands, but I find you get more uniform rolls with the side of a cookie baking sheet or 1/2 sheet pan. Let me know how it turns out. Have fun with it. big_smile

Likes (0)

#15 Sat 11 Sep 04 10:38am

foietruffledisiac

Forum champ

Hi Elizabeth,
Here's anothe take on using the vanilla bean. This goes great with a Duck Confit Salad with Dried Berries, Stilton Cheese, and Arrugula.

4 shallots, peeled nad trimmed
1 teaspoon olive oil
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
1 vanilla bean
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
Place the shallots in a small baking pan. Add the olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, 1/4 teaspoon of the white pepper and toss to coat. Roast until the shallots are tender and just beginning to colour, 30-35 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
Thinly slice the shallots and place in a medium bowl.
Split the vanilla bean legthwise in half. With tip of a sharp knife , scrape out the seeds and add them to the shallots. (Reserve the vanilla pod for another use or add it to your canister of sugar). Add the olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, the black pepper, the remaining 1/8 teaspoon white pepper, and the sugar to the bowl with the shallots, and whisk well to blend. ( The dressing will keep refrigerated in an airtight conatiner for up to 5 days.)

Likes (0)

#16 Thu 07 Oct 04 9:41am

foietruffledisiac

Forum champ

Hi LadyRed,
I forgot to mention to you that you might want to squeeze some fresh lemon juice in the foie butter (the juice of 1-2 lemons). This gets the flavours going.

Horsdeouvres

"Cured" foie gras on sweet potato brioche toast points, with port wine syrup (gastrique), topped with buck wheat micro greens.

Likes (0)

#17 Thu 07 Oct 04 10:50am

LadyRed

Forum champ
From Vienna, Austria

Thanks foietruffledisiac ;-) I'll keep that in mind. I haven't had time to try it yet but there is a special occasion coming  up in October (in love for 6 years ;-)) where it will be perfect!

BTW what did you have as a side dish with the grilled filet mignon and veal reduction/foie butter sauce??

Likes (0)

#18 Fri 08 Oct 04 11:28pm

foietruffledisiac

Forum champ

Hi LadyRed,
We served sauteed haricot verts in shallots, garlic, white wine, finish with good butter, and salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. You can also serve either roasted rosemary fingerling potatoes, sauteed Peruvian blue potatoes or Asian potatoes with herbs, white wine, and butter, or sweet potatoes with cinnamon, brown sugar, butter, salt and pepper.

*I cured some foie gras last week and it turned out really good. If you are interested, I'll post the recipe for you.

Likes (0)

#19 Sat 09 Oct 04 1:25am

foietruffledisiac

Forum champ

1 pound foie gras
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound duck meat, cubed to 1 inch pieces
1 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon cumin, or more to taste
1/2 cup zucchini, brunoise (very small uniform dice)
1/2 cup yellow squash, brunoise
1/2 cup carrots, brunoise
1 tablespoon minced jalapenos 1 tablespoon
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 cup chopped tomato

1 1/2 quarts rich duck stock
2 cups cooked white hominy, rinsed and drained
2 cups blanched sweet corn
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
2 limes, juiced
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Divide foie gras in half. Slice 1 portion into 6 slices, wrap well in plastic wrap and keep refrigerated. Cut remaining portion into 1/2 inch pieces.

In a large pot render the foie gras pieces with the olive oil until only crispy bits remain and all fat is rendered. Remove the foie bits with a slotted spoon or skimmer and set aside (reserve). Add duck meat and sear well on all sides. Add onions and cumin and continue to cook until onions are soft and have begun to caramelize, about 4 minutes. Add zucchini, yellow squash, and carrots and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add jalapenos and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes, making sure to scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Add duck stock and drained hominy and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 1 hour. Add blanched corn and cook for 10 minutes. In a very hot skillet sear foie gras slices briefly on both sides until golden brown. Remove from skillet and drain on paper towels. Add cilantro, and reserved foie gras bits to pozole and season with lime juice and salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately, topped with 1 piece of seared foie gras.

*Pozole is a dish served around New Year's in parts of Mexico and the Yuccatan Peninsula.

*Just think of all of the flavours. Lovely!

Likes (0)

#20 Sat 09 Oct 04 6:08pm

LadyRed

Forum champ
From Vienna, Austria

Hi Mary!

Many thanks for the suggestions - the blue potatoes sound interesting! I've seen them in the shops some time ago and thought they look very nice, but haven't tried them yet. So I thinks I'll give them a shot (if they are still available)!

The pozole recipe sounds also great! I really like foie but only get it very seldomly, as it is so frightfully expensive!

How is everything going in Miami, is the hurrican season over now, and everything back to normal? It's hard to imagine for someone who's always lived in middle Europe!
Here everthing is fine ;-) Just that the wheather turned and were heading for deep autumn/winter **brrr** But lovely long evenings in and long simmering stews in the oven ;-)

best greatings from Vienna ;-)

Likes (0)