forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1171 Thu 06 Jul 06 10:15pm

Montana

Forum champ
Member since Mon 21 Feb 05

Re: COOKIES ANONYMOUS

where did you find that?!  I'll bet they were good!

If you run across Eilen - tell her I was asking about her, please.  I've e'd but not gotten a response.

Thanks!

Likes (0)

#1172 Thu 06 Jul 06 10:35pm

Sabs

Forum champ
Member since Mon 09 Aug 04

Montana,
If I "see" Eilen I'll tell her you asked for her.
About the convent : I'm preparing our trip to Andalucia in september and a friend who lives their permanently told me about the custom of some convents to make a living by selling cookies.
This convent in Arcos de la Frontera is only one of many.
If in the neighbourhood I'll certainly stop over in Medina Sidonia for some alfajores.

Ciao. smile

Likes (0)

#1173 Fri 07 Jul 06 4:07am

Bindy

From australia
Member since Wed 22 Mar 06

Can't seem to find these famous brownies, can anyone help me out pleeease. big_smile

bindy wink

Likes (0)

#1174 Fri 07 Jul 06 8:42am

BigstU

Occupation Polar Bear Farming season finished, doing penguins now!
From South Pole
Member since Wed 21 Dec 05

Chocolate Brownies

200 grams butter
200 grams plain chocolate
600 grams caster sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 eggs -- large
250 grams plain flour
4 tablespoons cocoa

Preheat oven to 180C, Gas 4

Prepare a small rectangular roasting tin or oven proof dish approximately 8 x 12" (20 x 30cm). Grease or line with baking parchment.

Melt the butter and chocolate over a pan of simmering water. Cool slightly.

Stir in the sugar and vanilla.

Add the eggs, one at a time, stirring until well blended each time.

Sift the flour and cocoa together, add to the mixture and beat for about 1 minute, until smooth.

Pour into prepared tin, and bake for about 45 - 50 minutes. The mixture needs to be just cooked, so start testing with a cocktail stick at about 40 minutes - it should have moist crumbs, but not wet batter, still clinging to it.

Cool in tin until cool enough to handle, then cut into pieces, but leave until completely cold before removing from tin.

I cut this size into 24 pieces (8 x 3), but it could easily make more smaller pieces as it is very rich.

You can make a half quantiity and bake in a 7 x 7" tin for about 40 minutes (test after 35 min)

NOTES : Use the best chocolate you have; 40 - 50% cocoa solids makes great brownies, but 70% cocoa make superb ones!

Enjoy big_smile

Likes (0)

#1175 Sat 08 Jul 06 7:08pm

LuLuBell

From Cardiff
Member since Sat 08 Jul 06

Hi, I'm Mummza's daughter, just wanted to say thank you all for recommending those recipies for me  big_smile 

I'm trying AndyH's cookies at the moment, they're in the oven and they smell LUSH!!!!

SOOO, as a thank you, i thought i'd give you cookie-lovers an interesting recipie to cool you down in the summer-heat...

B&J's COOKIE DOUGH ICE-CREAM
Note: you do need an ice-cream maker for this!

FOR THE DOUGH...
1/2 cup butter at room temp.
1/4 cup of granulated sugar
1/3 cup of brown sugar
1large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1cup & 2Tbsp self-raising flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup plain chocolate chips

*Cream together the butter&sugars.
*Add the egg and vanilla extract &mix well.
*Mix the flour, salt and baking soda in another bowl and then mix into the mixture.
*Fold in the chocolate chips.
*Roll 1/2 of this dough into bite-size pieces, cover and place in the freezer. If you bake the other half of the dough, you can make ice-cream sandwiches smile

FOR THE ICE-CREAM...
2 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
2cups whipping cream
1 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla extract

*Whisk the eeggs until light and fluffy, then whisk in the sugar a little at a time.
*Add the cream, milk and vanilla extract and blend.
*transferr the mixture to the ice-ceam maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.
*About a minute before the ice-cream is done, when it is quite stiff add the frozen pieces of cookie dough.
*transferr to a container and freeze further in the freezer.

NOTE: wait until the very last minute to add the frozen-dough to the ice-cream, otherwise it all sinks to the bottom.

I've made this loads of times and it tastes just like the real B&Js ice-cream. Yum.  :P
Enjoy x x

Likes (0)

#1176 Sun 09 Jul 06 7:52pm

Montana

Forum champ

Lucky you!  I'm envious.  I'll probably make a quick jaunt to Spain next weekend with friends, but won't be able to find those delicacies though...

LuLuBell - so, how did you like AndyH's cookies?

Montana  wink

Likes (0)

#1177 Mon 10 Jul 06 1:00am

Bindy

From australia
Member since Wed 22 Mar 06

cheers BigstU,
I find I usually go looking for something on a thread and before I know it I'm caught up reading everything and still don't find what I'm looking for (but find heaps of other great recipes to try)
I'll be giving these a go this week.
bindy wink

Likes (0)

#1178 Mon 10 Jul 06 1:56am

Eilen

Forum champ
From Oregon
Member since Fri 23 Sep 05

Sorry for the lack of response. sad   It's been so hot here and my computer is upstairs and I can't be bothered to even sit up there for one minute!  You all are crazy for turning your ovens on in July (well, except those in the southern hemisphere).  Keep on baking, it all sounds great!

Montana, I'll 'e' you I promise!

Eilen

Likes (0)

#1179 Tue 11 Jul 06 10:26pm

Montana

Forum champ

You're back!!

I didn't know what had happened to you!

Very very busy at work these days.  we'll catch up with email.

glad you're ok - was a bit worried!

Montana wink

Likes (0)

#1180 Tue 11 Jul 06 10:52pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Montana.The cookies that LuLuBell cooked(AndyH's) were as my husband put it...Totaly Awsome big_smile  We had deserted the family and gone for a rare night out and we came back to see a huge..and I mean huge, pile of cookies my husband could not resist eating one..only one somehow turned into 3 ,then 4!! (and all  after a chinese meal!!).
As for the other recipies an this site,well we all have high hopes of her trying them all !lol  oops  lol
Thanks to everyone for your help.

Likes (0)