#11 Wed 08 Nov 06 9:50am

Dave Barker

Forum champ
Occupation Chef
From At the stove...
Member since Tue 29 Jun 04

Re: Dave Barkers Christmas Kitchen...

Great stuff VENUS!

I like the sound of the apple and gingerbread trifle...and a nice idea, putting fresh mint inside the lamb...

Thanks mate

Dave

Last edited by DB27 (Wed 08 Nov 06 9:50am)

Likes (0)

#12 Wed 08 Nov 06 9:54am

young mum

Forum champ
Member since Tue 22 Mar 05

Hi Dave wave great thread thumbsup ive jotted down the ITALIAN SAUSAGE AND CHESTNUT STUFFING it sounds awesome tongue

Likes (0)

#13 Wed 08 Nov 06 10:05am

Dave Barker

Forum champ
Occupation Chef
From At the stove...

ROAST PARSNIPS AND MY BEST ROAST POTATOES...

I love parsnips, but unfortunatly my mrs doesn't like them at all... so I tend to roast them in seperate dishes, this has turned out to be a good thing because now I add different flavours to each veg...

ROASTED PARSNIPS WITH HONEY AND THYME

INGREDIENTS

goose fat
8-10 parsnips, split lengthways
honey
sprig of fresh thyme (to be used as a brush)
salt and cracked black pepper

METHOD

I dont peel the parsnips because I like the rustic nobbly skin look of the final dish, plus peeling them can be a right pain...

Instead I give them a bit of a scrub to remove traces of dirt etc...

Then split them lengthways, so that you have long pointy srtips of parsnip

add goose fat to a roasting dish and place in the oven to get really HOT. 200oc / gas 6.

place them in a pan of cold water and bring to the boil, let boil for 5 mins then drain thoroughly then season well and toss them (carefully) into the hot goose fat.

cook for 45 mins in total or until golden and crispy.

after 30 mins, remove from the oven and drizzle with the honey. Use the fresh thyme to brush the honey over the veg!

put back into the oven for the final 10-15 mins, this will allow the honey to become a sticky glaze!!!!

Likes (0)

#14 Wed 08 Nov 06 10:23am

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Oh those parsnips sound good!!  Will definitely be giving them a try  big_smile   One of my favourites for Christmas is a recipe for Brussels Sprouts:

Serves 4

1lb baby sprouts, with the outer leaves removed (but NO cross cut in the base)
4oz flaked almonds
2oz butter
1 - 2 cloves crushed garlic

Cook the sprouts in boiling water until just tender (5 - 6 mins).  Whilst they're cooking, melt the butter in a pan, add the garlic and flaked almonds and heat gently, but do not brown.  The almonds will absorb some of the butter, and take on the flavour of the garlic.  When your sprouts are cooked, toss in the butter, garlic and almond mixture and serve as soon as possible.  This is also good if some finely chopped roasted red pepper is added.

Likes (0)

#15 Wed 08 Nov 06 10:23am

Dave Barker

Forum champ
Occupation Chef
From At the stove...

MY BEST ROAST POTATOES...

I have been ccoking roast potatoes for years.... over the years I have tried loads of things to make them a bit more interesting,

These days I have gone back to basics...with a little twist

INGREDIENTS

enough potatoes to cover the bottom of a roasting tray in one layer.The potatoes need to be floury, I nearly always use maris piper these days as I have found them to be a really good potatoe for roasting.

1 tin of goose fat
8 nice juicy, fat garlic cloves
sprig of fresh rosemary,finely chopped
salt and pepper

METHOD

Peel the potatoes (I use a speed peeler! gets the job done really fast, but do watch your thumbs!!! they hurt...)

Slice the potatos in half or quarters depending on size. make sure you cut them so that you get a large, flat base for the potatoe to sit on whilst it roasts, this gives you a great crispy base for the finished potato.

place into a large pan of cold, salted water and bring to the boil, boil for 5-8 mins.

add the whole tin of goose fat to a roasting tray and place in a HOT oven, 200oc / gas 6. dont be shy with the goose fat, its not health food... just at xmas eh!

drain the potatoes and let them steam dry... this will help the final potatoe to crisp up nicely!

season well with salt and black pepper and toss them (carefully) into the roasting tray. Baste with a little of the hot goose fat. throw in some unpeeled garlic cloves and sprinkle the rosemary over the top, place in the oven until golden brown and crispy as!

Dave

Likes (0)

#16 Wed 08 Nov 06 10:29am

Dave Barker

Forum champ
Occupation Chef
From At the stove...

Hi Oliviascotland

Sounds great! if you love brussels I have a brillaiant recipie that I know you will LOVE...

Will post it later... brussels with pancetta, and chestnuts topped with Pangrattato  wink

Dave

Likes (0)

#17 Wed 08 Nov 06 1:01pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Dave, have you tried using maple syrup instead of honey on parsnips?  It's excellent.  For 'fake Christmas' at uni this year, I've decided to do something other than turkey (everyone will be having turkey on 'real Christmas', and no one wants it twice within a ten-day period).  Shortlisted suggestions so far include beef Wellington, goose, ducks, venison or lamb... I'm rather partial to the beef suggestion, it'd take less time in the oven than say a goose.  However, any ideas for accompaniments?  I need to Christmas it up a little.   wink

Likes (0)

#18 Wed 08 Nov 06 1:33pm

Stefanie

Forum champ
From Flashing my gold
Member since Fri 09 Jul 04

Dave...excellent thread...back to basics is good!
Oh and I HEARD...congrats mate,you deserve it...hope you are having a blast there!
mrgreen

Anna...love your new avatar... thumbsup

Likes (0)

#19 Wed 08 Nov 06 3:01pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Thanks... that was a good night!  Home-made vanilla and chilli vodka.   wink
Dave, I heard there was news but not what the news is... any clues?   wink

Likes (0)

#20 Wed 08 Nov 06 6:21pm

ANN

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Dave,  Thanks for starting this thread.  I loved last years Christmas and Thanksgiving threads.   smile

Ann

Likes (0)