forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 10 Dec 06 8:34pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

greek agovolemono soup?

i have a local greek restaurant that makes this awesome soup.. i have done quite a bit of searching for recipies and trial and error testing to get close to the way they make it.i have only achieve mixed results in replicating it.  i wondered if anyone else has variations for this recipe? the only clue as to why they may make it a bit different than alot of the recipes i have researched is that i beleive the family that owns the restaurant is Ionian.   Pretty much all the recipes i have tried out are excellent, but their version is my fav.

Ashen

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#2 Wed 13 Dec 06 1:30am

Rofon

From Wodonga - Australia
Member since Tue 21 Feb 06

Re: greek agovolemono soup?

Hi Ashen
I grew up having this soup once a week.  My dear old mum still cooks a mean AVGOLEMONO SOUP (Egg-Lemon Soup).  I also cook this when I get the craving for it.  Hope you try this recipe, I amsure you will LOVE it.

6-7     cups hot chicken stock
1/3     cup of rice
3     large eggs separated
1/4     teaspoon salt
1/3     Cup fresh lemon juice

1.    Bring the stock to boil – season with salt and pepper
2.    Add rice to the boiling chicken stock
3.    Simmer about 15 minutes until cooked.
4.    Remove from heat.
5.    Separate eggs and beat the whites with salt until stiff
6.    Add yolks one at a time, beating gently until frothy.
7.    Slowly add lemon juice, still beating.
8.    Take a ladle of the hot stock SLOWLY add it to the mixture, mixing well. Then add another ladle.
9.    Pour mixture into remaining stock, stirring constantly until thickened enough to coat spoon.
10.    Do not boil or curdling will result!
11.    Add salt to taste, if necessary.
12.    Serve immediately.
13.    DELICIOUS!

As a variation, you can also shred the chicken you used to make your stock and also fold into the soup mixture.....it is Yummy.

Will be interested to hear what you think.

Best wishes
Rofon

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 13 Dec 06 7:17am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Avgolemono Soup (Greek Egg-Lemon Soup)

2  cups milk 
2  tablespoons cornstarch 
6  egg yolks, beaten 
2  quarts chicken stock 
1/2  cup long grain rice 
1/4  cup butter 
chopped parsley 
1/2  cup fresh lemon juice (or more to taste) 
1  lemon, rind of, grated 
salt and pepper 

Stir the milk and cornstarch together and beat in the egg yolks.
Set aside.
Bring the stock to boil in a 4 quart soup pot and add the rice.
Cook, covered, until the rice is puffy and tender, about 25 min.
Remove the soup from heat, add milk and egg mixture, stirring carefully.
Continue to cook for a moment until all thickens.
Remove from the heat again and add the butter, chopped parsley, lemon juice, and finely grated lemon peel.

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 13 Dec 06 11:31am

ZORZOU

Forum champ
Occupation STAYING AWAKE BECAUSE OF MY SECOND BABY!!
From ATHENS - HELLAS
Member since Sun 15 Oct 06

Dear Ashen I must tell you that avgolemmono is not quite a soup... is pretty much the way greeks use to make tastier a soup.  they use eggs (avgo) lemmon juice and some of the soups' stock they've made. It's either chicken soup, maybe stuffed cabbage leaves etc... It's something like a dressing to make food taste better and be more nutricious... Whwn we put this dressing to aour food we say that we "avgokovoume" the food.  Rofon gave you the most common recipe where eggelemmon is used.  Try this and I'm sure is what you're looking for!

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 10 Feb 07 11:01am

Ashen

Forum champ
From out to lunch

thanks for all the responses.. Rofon. that recipe looks killer.   and thank you ZorZou for the suggestions on how else to use it.

Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#6 Mon 11 Jul 11 5:18pm

runneralps

Forum champ
From GREECE,region of MACEDONIA,SKG
Member since Sat 08 Nov 08

Dear Ashen...i TOTALLY agree with ROFON(by the way is he a Greek?)i usually put 1-2 egg yolks not more.The procedure is the same and i use a stock of free range chickens ...ONLY!! Happy you like it  Enjoy!!!

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 12 Jul 11 9:59am

Ashen

Forum champ
From out to lunch

runner.. I believe rofon is actually a couple, not just one person  if I remember right.  Their  son worked for 15 london, I am not sure if he still does or if the family is greek . They havn't  posted on the forums in a very long time though.

Last edited by Ashen (Tue 12 Jul 11 9:59am)

Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#8 Tue 12 Jul 11 3:28pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Avgolemono is my favorite.  Can you please describe though what you like about the soup?  Different people make it different ways.  My mother makes it with rice and only a bit of egg/lemon.  It's runny and seperates quite easily.  I on the otherhand make it with orzo and go heavy on the eggs and lemon which makes it a bit starchier and heartier and I have no problems with separation.

It's all a bit of an experiment really.  The ratio is 1 lemon to 1 egg.  And the secret to my stockpot is to add 1tsp of tomato paste.  It's not enough to change the color but enough to add depth of flavor.

So please tell us, what is it about the soup the restaurant makes that caught your attention?

Likes (0)

#9 Sun 17 Jul 11 12:14pm

Steadam2011

Occupation Business
From Seattle
Member since Sat 16 Jul 11

You could add a little sour cream and white wine.I would add dillweed,white pepper,granulated garlic,onion powder,paprika and a little celery salt.
Add your chicken about 15 mins.before its done.Just to heat through.Whatever amount you would like to add...some people like lots of meat in there soup and some like less,use your own judgement.
Happy eating!!!

Last edited by Steadam2011 (Fri 26 Aug 11 11:39am)

Likes (0)