Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Fri 19 Jan 07 4:43pm

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

Re: apricots made my bottom explode

The couple that worked for us used to use their own, you know whats, to water and feed their garden... My garden was WAAAY on the other side though, lol!

Likes (0)

#22 Fri 19 Jan 07 10:25pm

ady+deb

Occupation ady=warehouseman, deb=powerhouse/godess
From nr Heathrow , London
Member since Thu 12 Oct 06

Puts a whole new meaning to...Falling into s**t and coming up smelling of roses !.
   Keep smiling,
        Ady.

Likes (0)

#23 Sat 20 Jan 07 2:57pm

Chanr

Forum champ
From Melbourne
Member since Mon 14 Mar 05

Actually, when I was a toddler, my mum used to take my 'you know whats' to fertilise the garden. Thankfully not anymore!  whistle

Likes (0)

#24 Sat 20 Jan 07 5:19pm

bcrain

Forum champ
From Greater Vancouver

You can what you want to your garden, lol, but I just couldn't eat the chives they had offered, lol!

Likes (0)

#25 Sat 20 Jan 07 6:09pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

In my youth, I had a friend who worked at the local sewage works.

There they dried the "end product", and sold it bagged as fertilizer - said to be especially good for tomatoes.

Another friend worked at the local Electricity Power Station.

They got together, and friend one supplied friend two with bags of fertilizer he smuggled out. They planted tomatoes in the fertilizer inside the two cooling towers at the power station. You can guess how long ago this was if I tell you that the cooling towers were made of wood!

The warm, wet conditions inside the towers, combined with the strong fertilizer, produced a wonderfully prolific crop of the best tomatoes you could hope to taste - and totally organic, of course (though no-one bothered about that back then).

Likes (0)

#26 Sat 20 Jan 07 6:14pm

Dubai Vol

Member since Sun 14 Jan 07

As you've brought it up, composting your own waste is becoming rather popular in some circles. Google "humanure," if you're interested. But like most manure, it needs to compost for a length of time, mixed with other organic material such as sawdust, grass clippings, etc. Most people wait a couple of years before spreading it on the garden. Herbivore manure composts faster, I think.

I'd do it in a heartbeat, but I'd never get planning permission from Mrs Dubai!  mrgreen

Likes (0)

#27 Mon 22 Jan 07 11:43pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

This topic wouldn't bother me if it weren't for the imminent Wenlock Weekend... I'll refrain from adding any anecdotes of my own as otherwise I won't be able to look anyone in the eye. 

puke

Last edited by Anna (Mon 22 Jan 07 11:43pm)

Likes (0)

#28 Sun 18 Feb 07 2:02am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

*bump*

There might be another explanation to the fireworks. Dried apricots as a general rule contain a fair amout of sulphur dioxide. not the greatest thing for anyone to eat but some ppl have  allergic reactions.
I know that within a 5to10 mins max after eating just a couple dried apricots i   puke  puke  puke  violently. I can eat fresh apricots without worry though.
I think it takes a fair amount to get to me as other things containing trace amounts of sulphur dioxide don't seem to affect me .

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#29 Sun 18 Feb 07 7:13pm

bcrain

Forum champ
From Greater Vancouver

It especially works that much faster if you have an empty stomach. I just can't eat very many anymore unless I have eaten a meal prior. I can feel them turning in my stomach... much like the horrible calamari we had the other night. It was the worst I have ever eaten out.

Likes (0)

#30 Mon 19 Feb 07 2:30am

amberpamba

Forum champ
Occupation Registered nurse
From Australia
Member since Thu 24 Jun 04

They add sulphur to the dried fruit dont they? Same as with meat to keep it red.

Likes (0)