Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 28 Jan 07 6:33pm

Lui

From La Paz, Bolivia
Member since Sat 26 Jun 04

What kind of oil?

I was wondering what kind of oil is best for deep frying, especially french fries(chips).
Does anyone know which oil is most common in restaurants and snackbars for this purpose?

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 29 Jan 07 7:53pm

sweetie-pie

From England
Member since Sun 01 Jan 06

Re: What kind of oil?

I don't make chips at home (no deep fat fryer) but my mum always made them with sunflower oil and her's are the best chips I've ever tasted (not that i am biased   roll )! She just chops nice fresh potatoes, dries them a little in kitchen roll and puts them into hot oil in the deep fat fryer until they are golden brown.

SP

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 29 Jan 07 8:31pm

Sanneke

Occupation secretary
From Belgium
Member since Sun 13 Aug 06

I also use sunflower oil
For the perfect fries :
Chop your potatoes, rinse in water, thoroughly dry in a clean kitchen towel.
Fry 6-8 minutes at +/- 150-160° - drain and let cool of a little
Fry for the second time 2-3 minutes at 180°
Perfect golden crisp - Belgian style ! wink

Last edited by Sanneke (Mon 29 Jan 07 8:33pm)

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 30 Jan 07 4:36am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

It depends on your taxte.

Cooking chips in oil is a very recent innovation - up until about 25/30 years ago, tgey were always cooked in beef dripping, and many wuld argue that, for the best chips, that is still the best way. generally, Fish & Chip shops in the north of England still use dripping for preerence.

However, if using oil, you need an oil which is neutral in flavour, and has a high smoke point.

Sunflower is ok, as is corn oil, or even generic "vegetable oil". Grapeseed or groundnut oil are better, though usally more expensive.

I would avoid using olive oil for deep-frying, unless you canget hold of Pomace - a highly refined very light olive oil.

sweetie-pie - you don't need a deep-fat fryer to do chips - just use a large, deep saucepan - you can get a "chip basket" for them, but not really necessary.

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 30 Jan 07 5:48am

The Cuban Chef

Occupation peace and duck grease
From united states
Member since Mon 10 Jul 06

i try not to fry.......... gordon ramsey has the best recipe that involves baking but still tasts fried

non the less
peanut oil is the best for frying, but i use alittle  mix of peanut,evoo,and butter

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 30 Jan 07 10:16am

GeoffP

Forum champ

Wide generalisations aren't really a lot of practical use.

Different frying techniques and ingredients call for different oils.

A mix of peanut, evoo and butter should NOT be used for deep frying - it would burn far too easily, and impart a bitter flavour to whatever is cooked in it.

In general, Extra-Virgin Olive Oil should not be used for frying - and never for deep frying or stir-frying.

Butter - unless clarified (ghee) - will burn in deep fat frying before the fat is hot enough to fry chips.

Peanut oil has a hgh smoke point, and is therefore good for deep frying and stir-frying.

As a general rule, oil or fat for deep frying should be refined rather than raw - and the greater the degree of refinement, the higher the "smoke point" - the temperature at which the oil burns and goes bitter.

Oil used for deep frying can be re-used a few times, as long as it is filtered after each use to prevent the buildup of burnt particles. The oil should look clear and be light in colour - if it goes dark, then dump it.

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 30 Jan 07 10:19am

Dave Barker

Forum champ
Occupation Chef
From At the stove...
Member since Tue 29 Jun 04

A ex-head chef of mine swore by peanut oil too... but it did work out to be a bit expensive.

Beef dripping does make the chips taste great... the same sort of taste as when you do roast potatoes in the same tray as your joint of beef!

Try a few different oils and see which you prefere, that's the way to go!

Cooking is all about experimenting, and tweaking recipies until you end up with a dish that you really like, I sometimes think that people forget how much fun it can be playing with food...

So ignore your mums, go on... play with your food wink

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 30 Jan 07 3:37pm

Lui

From La Paz, Bolivia
Member since Sat 26 Jun 04

I heard about beef dripping(I think McDonalds also used to use it), but you don't get that here in Bolivia.
I read that many restaurants use peanut oil(which you also don't get here).

My brother and sister each have a restaurant and use soy oil, but I heard that it's not supposed to be that healthy and was also thinking about rather using sunflower oil.
Corn oil is suppose to be good but it's too expensive.

My options are more or less soy or sunflower oil.

My sister has a German restaurant and we're planning to open up a second one, more like a snackbar, just selling simple food like sausages, schnitzel, fries and so on.
Schnitzel and fries need to be deep fried, so the oil can't be too expensive.
I'm also thinking about the taste and health factors of the oil.

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 31 Jan 07 6:12pm

sweetie-pie

From England
Member since Sun 01 Jan 06

"sweetie-pie - you don't need a deep-fat fryer to do chips - just use a large, deep saucepan - you can get a "chip basket" for them, but not really necessary"

I have seen the results of someone dropping hot oil over themselves after frying chips and ever since I have avoided deep fat frying! (Bizarrely, the person I saw doing this was my mother and I still ask for chips whenever I go home  oops .)

SP

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 31 Jan 07 11:49pm

GeoffP

Forum champ

Sweety-pie,

Any time you cook, you have got to be careful.

Wise cooks keep a first-aid kit, fire extinguisher and fire blanket at hand!

I've only set the kitchen on fire once:)

Likes (0)