forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 25 Jan 07 2:44pm

mikeesimmons

Occupation Finance manager - wannabe chef
From Telford England
Member since Thu 28 Dec 06

HELP - KNIVES

Can anyone advise me of a decent chef's knife - im getting a little confused on the makes, types and sizes? Any help?

thanks

Mikee  thumbsup

Last edited by mikeesimmons (Thu 25 Jan 07 6:09pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 25 Jan 07 8:55pm

trigger194

Occupation chef manager
From southsea not southend
Member since Sun 21 Jan 07

Re: HELP - KNIVES

hi mikeesimmons
                        after 25 five years in the trade the only thing i can say with all honesty is that knives are a very personnal thing .i have had very expensive knives that i could not get on with and cheap colour coded mass produced work ones that have been brilliant. so perservere but the size that is a must have a 20cm cooks with a sturdy blade.
                                                                        trigger

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 26 Jan 07 8:04am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

victorinox is a good brand

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 26 Jan 07 3:46pm

Lizo

Member since Fri 26 Jan 07

I agree! That's the make that I use, can't go wrong with them!

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 28 Jan 07 7:36pm

mikeesimmons

Occupation Finance manager - wannabe chef
From Telford England
Member since Thu 28 Dec 06

Thank you to all that replied.     I had a look today and it seems my town doesnt  have a place that sells any decent knives to try out. I guess its jump in the car time and go a searching.!   Anyone know about the Globals - I have heard a lot about them?

Mikee   thumbsup

Last edited by mikeesimmons (Sun 28 Jan 07 7:37pm)

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 29 Jan 07 5:54am

Pin Head

From UK
Member since Thu 17 Mar 05

global is the only way. GS-5 (?) chopping knife travels the world with me. Nothing else. Cheap as chips (as long as you keep it sharp though)

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 29 Jan 07 3:14pm

terrahaute

From Seattle
Member since Sun 31 Dec 06

Hi-

I have an assortmant of Global, Wusthof, Henkel, Shun, Lamsonsharp and Furi (ah the joys of working for a kitchen store company!). I have to say I love the Global and Wusthof Culinar line. I'm a gal so I prefer the slightly lighter weight. I also like the smooth lines of the all stainless steel and the thinner blade. 

I plan on getting some more Global knives in fact. Let us know what you end up with and how you like them.

Terrahaute

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 29 Jan 07 4:03pm

Chiz

Occupation Postgrad student
From Western Australia
Member since Mon 29 Jan 07

I was lucky enough to get a set of knives for Christmas recently, and I can tell you it's made a huge difference to my cooking!

Seems that most manufactures offer a set of knives in a block with an assortment of knives and often a pair of scissors. I've found the paring knife (~8 cm blade, fairly narrow) and cook's knife (~20 cm blade) are the most useful for me, so if you don't want to get a whole set these two I'd recommend.

There are a lot of brands out there, and many seem to be high quality so might be best to try a few if you can and see what you like. My brother has had a set of Wusthof knives for years which he swears by.

Last edited by Chiz (Mon 29 Jan 07 4:05pm)

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 29 Jan 07 7:31pm

Dierwolf

Member since Thu 18 Jan 07

Victorinox is nice... but wusthof is best... I'm not a professional cook/chef but i am good friends with several and they consistently say wusthof's a great brand. saving up for a set myself.

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 30 Jan 07 5:53am

The Cuban Chef

Occupation peace and duck grease
From united states
Member since Mon 10 Jul 06

german is going to be your best for the long hual........... but a hastle to sharpen,

jap. knifes are very sharp but metal is also to light, so it is all on you

french and german work pretty well.......... but i use Wusthof

Likes (0)