Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 06 Feb 07 10:33am

tdubya

Occupation Project Manager
From Birmingham, UK
Member since Fri 27 Oct 06

I nearly got caught out by the myth of bulk means cheap...

I was at Sainsbury's this am and bought 12 loo rolls. When I checked the small print on the price label I was surprised to see that the 6 packs were going for 10.8p per 100 sheets (£1.56), while the larger 12 packs were going for 15.2p per 100 sheets (£4.39).

I bought two packs of 6 rather than a pack of 12 saving myself £1.27 in the process. When I buy like this, I always check the small print that they provide and a good thing too. This equally applies to food purchases too.

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 06 Feb 07 11:26am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Re: I nearly got caught out by the myth of bulk means cheap...

Always check the small print!

Look for special offers, check for BOGOFs, investigate "marked down for quick sale".

Shop at 9pm in 24hr Supermarkets - that's when they drop the price of fresh stuff dated today to get rid if it - I got oysters at 5p for three a while ago, and often get large blocks of cooking cheese at 5p. Best bargain was a whole wheel of unpasteurized brie for 20p!

In markets, the last 1/2 hr gets you the best bargains - especially meat and fish markets on a Saturday night.

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 07 Feb 07 1:44am

amberpamba

Forum champ
Occupation Registered nurse
From Australia
Member since Thu 24 Jun 04

I love shopping in the last 30 minutes before closing, you get alot of stuff cheap. I cant always do it though as I prefer shopping during the day. One time I got BBQ chickens for 50 cents each!! And even then the supermarket is still making a profit, considering the poor farmers only get 20 cents per chook!

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 07 Feb 07 8:49pm

Alex G

Forum champ
Occupation Student/Commis chef
From Brighton/ Bournemouth
Member since Sat 29 Oct 05

50 aus cents is what? 20 pence  yikes

Likes (0)