forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 05 Feb 07 10:34pm

reippurt

Member since Mon 05 Feb 07

"Non-Stick" - what to expect

Hi Jamie & All,

Am i the only one having trouble with non-stick kitchenware??

I have tried several brand/products (yes also Tefal) with
the same result - the coating starts to cracks, after 1/2 a years of use.

I have been told - that i use to much heat, but i don't feel that i use
that much heat. I use induction and never preheat since i been told that this
will harm the kitchenware (hmmmm)

When viewing you (Jamie) using gas, i would imagien that your kitchenware (with nonstick) last for 2 days max....

So,,,Jamie what is your secret????

Others please feel free to comment on this if you also know the "big secret"

Kind Regards
Reippurt  help

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 06 Feb 07 10:11am

BatesFamily

Occupation a teacher, if and when the department employ me!!
From among the dairy cows
Member since Fri 15 Oct 04

Re: "Non-Stick" - what to expect

Hiya reippurt!!

i cant help you with this im afraid but will puch it back to the top for you because i am very interested in every ones answers cause i have the same problem!!!
cheers
Kelly

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 07 Feb 07 6:45am

WaiferThinMint

Occupation Student, Chef on the side
From Philadelphia, PA, USA
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

I avoid non-stick for the problems you have  mentioned, with the exception of one 10" frying  pan which I use for eggs and crepes.

As for the falling apart of the surface, a few ideas:
     1: If you are using metal, or other abrasive / sharp utensils in the pan they may damage the Teflon coating.
     2: Certain foods/methods of cooking are not well suited to non-stick cookware.  I for one would never sear meat in it because by the time the  pan is hot enough to make Maillard do its thing the surface  is  at dangerous  levels, especially if you have exotic birds  as pets
     3: I have found that the more expensive non stick items, t-fal, all clad, viking and  the like are not worth the money as the surface tends to be nubbed, making things like omelets not work, and the cost to longevity ratio is horrible.  Most non stick pans will need replacing every 2 years or so, at most.

Thus my advice to you  would be to go to the nearest catering / restaurant supply shop and  get yourself one of the non-sticks they stock their.  The brand is not what makes the difference in these pans, its  the care taken with the surface and making sure the methods used don't get the pan over 350 (F) at any point

I hope  that was of some help...it seems  rather rambling now  that I'm done with it...  WTM

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 07 Feb 07 12:27pm

Alex G

Forum champ
Occupation Student/Commis chef
From Brighton/ Bournemouth
Member since Sat 29 Oct 05

The tefal one I bought last year has started cracking, good thing it was in the jan sales wink

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 07 Feb 07 11:20pm

itsdanny

Occupation Web Gimp
From W Yorks
Member since Mon 14 Aug 06

every 6-10 uses i wam them up, then rub with veg oil to give fine film of oil on. this tends to do a decent job at maintaining the non stick prop. also NO METAL utensils within a zillion miles. i pre heat but not too hot, just enough to sizzle.
dan

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 08 Feb 07 7:16am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

You may get cuts in the teflon coating that you cannot see at first, these may weaken the coating causing it to spilt. I've had a tefal pan (on sale and not a jamie one) for about two years and it's now got a cut to the metal in the coating. It will degrade from here but I'm hoping for another year if we treat it well (it only cost me 85 cents - after using a gift voucher). I think it got damaged by either being in contact with other pots or metal utensils.

Non-stick coatings are coatings, they are never going to have the robustness of a metal or anodised pan because those things are solid materials not a thin layer spread over another surface. The technology will get better but I doubt you'll see a non-stick coating lasting 50 or more years. I think you'd be lucky with 5.

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 08 Feb 07 8:18pm

Kadri

From Tallinn
Member since Fri 06 Jan 06

I just bought a pan from Tefal..afcourse it's by Jamie Oliver! Actually I remember that I had a smaller one too (simpel), and it was terrible. All that teflon came off and I threw it away, but I am really satisfied with my new one smile

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 09 Feb 07 5:02am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

another thing to note, not all non-stick surfaces are the same. There are different formulations on the market and the really cheap ones may not be as good.

Likes (0)