forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 09 Feb 07 2:02pm

Simonish

Member since Tue 19 Sep 06

Alternatives to olives

Hi guys

Can anyone suggest a good alternative to olives in a sausage and butter bean stew/cassoulet recipe I have - recipe includes fennel seeds, red peppers, leeks, garlic white wine, sugocasa, butter beans and black pitted olives.

I don't really like olives so any suggestions would be welcome or maybe I will just leave em out

Simonish

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 09 Feb 07 5:51pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Re: Alternatives to olives

I hate olives and usually just leave them out - and from your list of ingredients I think the cassoulet will have enough flavor to not need the olives or a replacement to be a delicious meal.  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 10 Feb 07 1:17pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

I always leave them out. Like aniseed, capers and coriander leaf I just can't get into them.

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 10 Feb 07 9:49pm

ellboy

From ell's kitchen
Member since Mon 11 Apr 05

you're looking to replace the saltiness of the olives so how about some diced parma ham or something similar.

try and get the ham in a chunk or thick slice and dice it yourself, i live in spain and this is quite typical in dishes with beans and lentils.

alternatively use chorizos, either slice them and cook at the same time as your sozzies or if you can find a slightly firmer cured type then dice them as with the ham.

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 11 Feb 07 6:14am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

replce with some anchovies - they will give it a similar flavour.

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 14 Feb 07 10:44am

Simonish

Member since Tue 19 Sep 06

In the end I left the olives in then removed them after cooking, the dish was very tasty but a little heavy on the garlic - I used sicillian sausage, thanks muchly for the input though and I will try the suggestions next time I cook it

Simon smile

Likes (0)