forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 10 Feb 07 4:10am

iamcallum

Occupation Student
From Gold Coast, Queensland.
Member since Mon 07 Aug 06

I don't understand.

I don't understand why schools don't make an effort to feed the students healthy foods.

I am from Australia and my new school does not serve chocolate, chips, soft drink or anything like that! Strictly vegie lasagnas, chicken & salad rolls, sushi and other nutritionally profitable foods.

What else I don't understand is why naive students are posting on the forums protests against Jamie Oliver and his revolutionary work in tuckshops worldwide.

I can not beleive that students are complaining like that!

I love the foods in my schools tuckshop and I have never heard any complain that they are unhappy with the school's decision.

The tuckshop is not short of buisness, is not short of profit and the students of Helensvale High are not short of a healthy lunch.

I just don't understand.

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 10 Feb 07 7:23am

emmylu

Occupation unknown
From sydney, nsw, australia
Member since Mon 20 Nov 06

Re: I don't understand.

I'm with you, callum!
i dont understand why kids whinge that the healthy food they get served is 'crap!'
the food at my skool in NSW is absolute rubish! i get funny looks from the kids if i bring a HEALTHY salad or decsent foods, shouldnt it be the other way round? its becoz they arent used to food like that, and instead buy pies and coke from the canteen. our skool recently made healthy changes. wanna kno what the biggest change was? they replaced normal coke for diet coke!!!!!
kids in 3rd world countries would give anything for a bit of nutritious food, yet, kids that come from a more privelidged background carry on because they cant have there fave foods like greasy burgers!!!
geez, i think people should stop taking for granted what they have got, and take a look at how kids are starving on the other side of the world!!!!!!!!

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 10 Feb 07 5:46pm

ANN

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Hi Callum and Emmylu,  I think it all comes down to money!!  The government here in the US puts children and elderly at the bottom of the list when it comes to the budget.  These last 6 years have been the worst.  Hopefully in 2 years the people will change the government makeup and common sense will prevail!  Good luck to both of you and keep those good heads on your shoulders!! smile

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 11 Feb 07 2:24am

emmylu

Occupation unknown
From sydney, nsw, australia
Member since Mon 20 Nov 06

thanks ann.
i think it has a lot to do with money, but at our skool, i think its more to do with fact the teachers dont care.
at the end of the day, they can go and sit in the staff room and eat whatever they want, wheras the students get left with the crappy food from the canteen... we dont get the luxury.
but as i said, i think when you come from a country that has the priveledge of choosing what you eat and when you eat it, you tend to take this for granted more than we should... we should just be happy we actualy have food on our table everyday...

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 11 Feb 07 6:12am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

Hi ANN wave long time no see

I think the issue in the US is a stupid war that was unnecessary and unwanted takes prority over anything else at present.

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 11 Feb 07 2:36pm

ANN

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Hi Sadie! wave, That's very very true!!  Hope you are doing well!  Miss you at Nora's. smile

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 11 Feb 07 2:59pm

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

Been a bit busy and only just get to get on here for a short time.

Likes (0)