forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 09 Feb 07 3:16pm

TWICEREMOVED

Member since Fri 09 Feb 07

What to serve with a Fish main course?

Hi all

I am doing a little supper for 'er indoors on Saturday.

I have decided to do Monkfish tails on a bed of Juliene veg (Carrot, Leeks & Courgette) en papillot with a little white wine, olive oil and herbs.

Sweet will probably be home made syrup sponge with chilled vanilla cream.

My problem is the starter. She who must be obeyed will not eat any type of cheese (migraine) tomatoes or avacado, so that is a simple salad out of the running, and you can forget Humus, Taziki etc.

So here are my questions

a/ What type of starter would normally be appropriate to go with fish (I am worried that most "traditional" starters would  overpower the main course)

b/ Considering the limitations and menu, what can anyone suggest to be a good starter to accompany the above menu

I will be eternally grateful for any help

FATMANxx  help

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 09 Feb 07 3:55pm

sweetie-pie

From England
Member since Sun 01 Jan 06

Re: What to serve with a Fish main course?

What about a nice soup served with some toasted ciabatta? You could make it fairly light. (I'm sure you'll find plenty of ideas in the 'soups on' thread.)

Or maybe a nice big slice of fresh melon served with a squiggle of raspberry coulis? (Although, perhaps soup might be a better idea with the current weather conditions if you're in the UK wink  !)

SP

Last edited by sweetie-pie (Fri 09 Feb 07 3:58pm)

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 10 Feb 07 11:59pm

ellboy

From ell's kitchen
Member since Mon 11 Apr 05

i know you said its out of the running but i would go with the simple salad.

get some fresh mixed leaves, throw in some thinly sliced spanish ham or prosciutto, some ripped up herbs - basil is a winner, and a little fresh fruit, something sweet and juicy like peaches or mango would be excellent although im afraid i have no idea whats in season in the uk at the mo.

( for non migrainees i usually add mozzarella to this)

season and drizzle with a good olive oil and a squeeze of lemon just before serving.

the joy of this is it takes 2 or 3 mins to put together and you just serve in a big bowl and help yourselves.

cheers.

el.

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 11 Feb 07 5:57am

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

A Warm Salad of Ciabatta Croutons with Bacon and a vinaigrette

Ingredients :

SALAD
4    slc    Ciabatta Bread
8    x    Rashers Smoked Back Bacon
250    gm    Cherry Tomatoes
2    tbl    Olive Oil
3    x    Eggs, (Soft Boiled)

VINAIGRETTE DRESSING
75    ml    Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2    tbl    White Wine Vinegar
1    tsp    Coarse Grain Mustard
10    x    Cos Lettuce Leaves, (inside crisp heart leaves)
2    tbl    Fresh Chives, (chopped)

Method :

Preheat the oven to 200 c / 400 f / Gas Mark 6. Make the croutons, liberally brush the bread with olive oil on both sides, then cut into large cubes and bake in the preheated oven for approximately 10 minutes or until golden.
     Cut the bacon rashers into large strips and fry to crisp in a shallow pan add the cherry tomatoes and warm through. Meanwhile, arrange the leaves on four serving plates. Add the crispy bacon and warm croutons to the salad, chop the egg into wedges and plates on top.
    . Deglaze the pan with the dressing and drizzle over the salad.
     Garnish with freshly chopped chives and serve immediately

Likes (0)