forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#31 Sun 11 Feb 07 3:38pm

Mrs Gibba

Forum champ
Member since Thu 14 Apr 05

Re: Dirty Bernard

So do I, keeping things quiet never helped anyone in the long term as any reaction just gets multiplied.

Likes (0)

#32 Sun 11 Feb 07 11:12pm

Kirsten

Forum champ
Member since Thu 06 Jan 05

The latest news: http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/ … 63,00.html

I do have some sympathy for people on low incomes who have to look out for the bargains, but it all ties in with good cooking.  Use fresh stuff, spend a little time on preparation and get the kids involved where possible to help you out.

My last chicken was from a rare (now I work full time) trip to the local farmers' market.  It cost about £7 but was huge.  The stock from the giblets and a few basic additions made fantastic gravy for the most tender and tasty meat.  And it fed 2 adults and a littl'un for 2 days with only a few (cheap) veg additions.

I read today (not sure if it was in a different observer article from the one linked above) that Bernard's tukey escalopes (which I would have thought to be turkey fillet cut from the breast or something) were only 30 something % turkey!  How much of a con is that mad   Never mind passing off some Brazilian / Hungarian turkeys as British just because they were killed here, it's a disgrace.  Half the people that buy the stuff probably don't accept someone from a non-White background as British even if they're 4th generation - but s.hit tasteless cheap "ham", that's ok.

It makes me quite mad.  We'll cope with it, despite individual hardships, but what about countries without the economic infrastructures to do so?  For Bernard to be engaging in such dishonest and dishonourable practices which could possibly contribute to the spread of disease should surely breach some law?

Best stop ranting.

Likes (0)

#33 Mon 12 Feb 07 1:27am

kittenclaws

Forum champ
From The Med
Member since Tue 06 Jul 04

*applause*

Well said Kirst.

Likes (0)

#34 Wed 14 Feb 07 12:47am

Kirsten

Forum champ
Member since Thu 06 Jan 05

This thread's gone quiet!

Bernard is back in business: http://www.guardian.co.uk/birdflu/story … 67,00.html

There are several turkey farms like this, it would appear.  My FIL fed us frozen turkey for Christmas and I have to say it tasted awful.  No flippin wonder.

Likes (0)