forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 11 Feb 07 4:48pm

monica4rd

Member since Sun 11 Feb 07

Onion Soup

Hi I am looking for a recipe for an onion soup no veg just onion, I am crazy about onions. help

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 11 Feb 07 5:07pm

KT35

Member since Fri 29 Dec 06

Re: Onion Soup

Onion soup ..... this is the way I make it.
crush 2 cloves of garlic and fry gently in a deep saucepan with a knob of butter for a few minutes, next, finely slice about 6 large onions and put in the saucepan, stir into the butter and garlic and cook gently untill they begin to go brown. The bottom of the pan will go brown too but don't worry. As soon as this happens add 250ml (large wine glass) of white wine, or cider (its up to you), a good grind of fresh black pepper and a little pinch of salt if you wish. Cook for about 3-5 minutes. Then add 1 1/2 pints of good homemade chicken or vegetable stock, bring to the boil and then simmer for 20 minutes. The soup will reduce a little and thicken up.
Make sure you use a well flavoured chicken or veg stock and you wont go far wrong.
Ps. the brown stuff will come off the bottom of the pan and make the soup a lovely golden colour.

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 11 Feb 07 9:16pm

Montana

Forum champ
Member since Mon 21 Feb 05

Hi, I started a thread called Soup's on!  and have my French onion soup posted there if you are interested:

http://forum.jamieoliver.com/viewtopic.php?id=13191

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 12 Feb 07 12:34am

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

I can really recommend Montana's recipe for onion soup.  It's excellent!

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 12 Feb 07 2:17am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

French Onion Soup

Ingredients:
3 pounds onion -- peeled
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 teaspoon pepper, black
2 tablespoons paprika
1 bay leaf
3/4 cup flour
3 quarts beef bouillon
1 cup wine, white
2 teaspoons Salt
1/2 pound Swiss cheese
French bread

Directions:

Slice onions, 1/8 inch thick. Melt butter, place onions in it, saute slowly for 1-2 minutes in a large soup pot.

Add all other ingredients except bouillon, wine and salt, saute over low heat 10 minutes more. Add bouillon and wine and simmer 2 hours. Adjust color to a brown with caramel coloring or liquid browning sauce. Season to taste with salt. Put in refrigerator overnight.

To serve: Heat soup. Fill oven-proof casserole or individual oven-proof bowls with 1 cup soup, top with 3 one-half inch slices of French Bread and top with a slice of imported Swiss cheese (Gruyere preferred). Place under broiler to brown, approximately 5 minutes

Likes (0)