forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 09 Feb 07 12:19pm

chgs

Member since Fri 09 Feb 07

food police take over common sense

Fully support concept of healthy eating and I would like to think my family eat healthily -5 fruit & veg minimum, low fat, high fibre, low salt, few sweets / fizzy drink (if any), very little processed food, proper meals etc...

However at my daughter's junior school the food police have taken over and common sense has jumped out of the window.

Mid morning they are allowed a snack at breaktime. This MUST be fruit or vegetable. My daughter does not have a lack of fruit & veg in a day, but what she can need by mid morning is carhohydrate for energy. She is not allowed to eat a 50g pitta bread as a snack (4.9g protein, 27.6 g carb inc 1.5g sugar, fat 1.1g, fibre 1.7g) as this is deemed to be 'unhealthy'.

If we get her a letter from the GP she will be allowed to eat the pitta bread but she would have to do that in the medical room under supervision!!!!!!!!!! exclaim

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 10 Feb 07 8:53pm

selened

Member since Thu 30 Nov 06

Re: food police take over common sense

The school needs to have a clear, simple and easily enforceable rule about what can be brought in for the breaktime snacks.  If they deviate from the rule for one child they will be forced to spend time dealing with the rantings of all the parents who are demanding rights to crisps, chocolate and biscuits.  The 'medical room under supervision' clause is so the school can support the needs of diabetic pupils.  If I were you, I'd give her a banana, which is as high in carbs as a pitta bread.

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 11 Feb 07 4:59pm

Alex G

Forum champ
Occupation Student/Commis chef
From Brighton/ Bournemouth
Member since Sat 29 Oct 05

I don't think they should be saying you can only have this... they should be saying you can't have that (i.e. cola, sweets). Surely it would be simpler?

What a child would need though is protein, it will keep them feeling fuller for longer than a meal which is high in carbs.

Last edited by Alex G (Sun 11 Feb 07 5:00pm)

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 12 Feb 07 10:57pm

Tina Max

Occupation Police Department
From Moscow
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

2 chgs!!! why don't you prepare breakfast at home and make her (daughter i mean) eat? she doesn't have to eat at school... she hase a coice... and if you want your daughter to eat a healthy food you should take care about it by yourself wink

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 12 Feb 07 10:59pm

Tina Max

From Moscow

if you can't change a system you should try to change yourself...

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 13 Feb 07 2:59am

amberpamba

Forum champ
Occupation Registered nurse
From Australia
Member since Thu 24 Jun 04

It seems a bit harsh but at least they are trying to get the kids to eat healthy foods. You never know alot of other kids probably eat loads of rubbish at home.
What about a nice fruit salad for the morning snack, and ensure she has a good filling breakfast before school.
It would be hard though, as I would be so hungry by morning tea time and I usually had some crackers or fruit and yoghurt. But that was usually because I didnt have breakfast.

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 13 Feb 07 9:12am

Tina Max

From Moscow

children's health is a problem of their parents wink

Likes (0)