forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 21 Feb 07 4:54pm

Rome

Member since Tue 20 Feb 07

Save my sage!

help

I have a pot of sage sitting in front of my kitchen window (indoors-bright, but no direct sunlight, temp.18°C).
I water it moderately every other day.

I've noticed that the leaves have started to ... shrink? Curl up on themselves?

What am I doing wrong question

Can anyone help me save my sage???

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 21 Feb 07 5:35pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Re: Save my sage!

Are they drying up or wilting?  I'm no great expert but I had this happen to most (OK, all) of my houseplants until I realised their little drainage holes were clogged and they were drowning...

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 21 Feb 07 5:44pm

Rome

Well, they're not drying up (I'm no expert either - I've recently succeeded in killing my cactus - but they're not suffering from lack of water).
Clogged drainage holes could indeed be the problem. Maybe I am drowning my poor plant  hmm .
I'll have to check.
Thanks!

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 21 Feb 07 5:52pm

Rome

Yep, I guess it was drowning.  sad
The drainage holes were in direct contact with the bottom of the ceramic pot, so my sage was just sitting in water.
I've put three plastic bottle tops in the bottom of the pot now. That should raise my sage up high enough to avoid further damage.
I hope neutral
Thanks again!

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 21 Feb 07 6:08pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Well, that's the first and probably last time I do something positive for a houseplant!  I almost feel absolved for past sins... I once killed my Venus fly-trap with boiling water but I won't get into the story here as a vaseful of daffodils are looking at me accusingly.

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 21 Feb 07 6:59pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

The Sage is  probably fed up of being in a pot !  It may be a bit potbound as it is a large plant that is best grown in the garden.
Once planted it does not always take to being moved!!

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 21 Feb 07 7:13pm

Rome

Thanks for you suggestion Mummza, but I've only had it a month (I bought it from a garden centre and it's only small). I don't think it's pot-bound.
It was doing fine until recently!
Maybe it's traumatized after seeing my cactus die a slow and painful death!

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 21 Feb 07 8:41pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

We leave our sage outdoors - it seems to be unkillable!

The only thing we do with it is to hack it back viciously every now and then, just to tame its rampancy

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 21 Feb 07 11:02pm

Rome

I'd like to be able to keep mine outdoors, but I live in a flat and I'm not able to install window boxes, so if I want to grow any herbs it has to be done indoors.
I do hope my sage survives!
I'm hoping to grow other herbs too, but I'm not sure yet what would be suitable. hmm

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 22 Feb 07 12:41am

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

You probably already know this but leave it so its almost but not completely dried out. If it was sitting in water and was soaked maybe try letting it dry out till it gets healthy again, hoping that it will, then start your watering routine again. In the meantime get another plant just in case. smile

Likes (0)