forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Wed 21 Feb 07 11:47pm

ruthyt

Member since Tue 24 Oct 06

Re: Jamie's Chef

I am a big fan of JO but Jamies Chef made me so sad - he's changed and not for the better!!!

I felt so sorry for Aaron and his family being put in such a responsible position at such a tender age with no knowledge of running their own business and really entirely dependent upon some very hard-nosed business people (who I am sorry to say included Jamie) who gave him no real help or advice until a little late in the day.

Everyone knows that you hardly ever make a profit in a new business in the first year - whoever is backing you!!

Although it seemed initially that Aaron was lucky being given this opportunity, by the end of the series one was left feeling that it would have been far easier if Aaron had made his own way to that situation no matter how long it took with no Overseer reminding him of how fortunate he was and how much of a success he had to make it. No wonder his relationship suffered and he is still an "employee" and "owned" when all is said and done.

Big up to Jamie's Dad, though.  He offered sound advice and encouragement throughout. The "old school" of publican/restauranteur.

I am sure we will hear some great things about "The Cock" and that I hope that Aaron and his family and the restaurant will continue to grow together.  I would love to go and give him some encouragement - where is it in Essex?

Last edited by ruthyt (Wed 21 Feb 07 11:48pm)

Likes (0)

#22 Thu 22 Feb 07 8:53am

Pete

Forum champ
From The Office
Member since Tue 18 May 04

Remember, what you see on a programme like this is what the editors want you to see. How interesting a programme would it have been if they'd shown Aaron, just getting up in the morning, working hard all day and going to bed at night?

They edit the programme together to create ups and downs, tension and jeapordy, because that's what the channel and the public want.

Aaron and his family weren't put in a position, they grabbed an opportunity with both hands!  and just because the programme didn't show Jamie and the others offering him any real help or advice 'until a little late in the day', doesn't mean that that's actually what happened.

The whole point of the programme was to show that the Fifteen foundation don't stop at training disadvantaged young people to become chefs, they back them financially where others wouldn't, and give them the benefit of their business experience to ensure their enterprises work.  He would never have 'made his own way to that situation' because no-one else would ever have lent him the money!

Likes (0)

#23 Thu 22 Feb 07 9:06am

InkBar

From Food Heaven...
Member since Sun 17 Apr 05

Pete wrote:

Remember, what you see on a programme like this is what the editors want you to see. How interesting a programme would it have been if they'd shown Aaron, just getting up in the morning, working hard all day and going to bed at night?

They edit the programme together to create ups and downs, tension and jeapordy, because that's what the channel and the public want.

Aaron and his family weren't put in a position, they grabbed an opportunity with both hands!  and just because the programme didn't show Jamie and the others offering him any real help or advice 'until a little late in the day', doesn't mean that that's actually what happened.

The whole point of the programme was to show that the Fifteen foundation don't stop at training disadvantaged young people to become chefs, they back them financially where others wouldn't, and give them the benefit of their business experience to ensure their enterprises work.  He would never have 'made his own way to that situation' because no-one else would ever have lent him the money!

Well said Pete! I totally sign that.
Although i don´t have the chance to watch it here in Germany i read a little bit abouth the show and i can´t wait to watch it here.

When does it come out in Germany? Any news Pete?

Cheers and a wonderful Day
InkBar

Likes (0)

#24 Thu 22 Feb 07 12:36pm

sicol

Member since Mon 05 Feb 07

Totally agree with what Pete says, who is going to watch a dull programme!

Likes (0)

#25 Tue 27 Feb 07 6:01pm

greis

From italia
Member since Tue 27 Feb 07

i write from italy and jamie is for me a great success!

greis

Likes (0)

#26 Mon 30 Apr 07 9:45am

ebae

Member since Fri 13 Apr 07

smile  neutral  sad  big_smile  yikes  wink  hmm  tongue  lol  mad  roll  cool  yawn  exclaim  question  thumbsup  shocked  whistle  puke  oops  mrgreen  help  evil

Likes (0)