forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 24 Feb 07 3:38pm

Ronnie B

Occupation looking after cute ickle flowers
From slough
Member since Tue 10 Oct 06

help me quick!

i have bout 12 family members coming over 4 sunday lunch an i have a leg of lamb can anyone give me a few suggestions on how to cook it im keen to impress ! I live next to a super market so can easily pop over 4 herbs etc cheers ronnie b x

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 24 Feb 07 4:24pm

young mum

Forum champ
Member since Tue 22 Mar 05

Re: help me quick!

Roast Leg of Lamb with Pancetta, Sage and Rosemary Recipe courtesy Jamie Oliver
Show:  The Naked Chef
Episode:  Chef's Night Out 

1 leg of lamb (about 4 1/2 pounds)
1 handful fresh sage
1 clove garlic
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 lemon, juiced
Olive oil
1 handful fresh rosemary
3 ounces pancetta, sliced

With a knife, follow the lamb bone down about 4 inches (you are just making a 'tunnel' where you are cutting the meat away from the bone). Do this from the top end and the bottom end. Pierce the skin at an angle with a sharp pointed knife 6 to 8 times at random around the leg. Where you have made the incisions, open them up a bit by poking your fingers down in them to make a bit of space.
Using a pestle and mortar smash up half the sage with the garlic and 1 teaspoon of salt. When its pulped, add the lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the other half of the sage and the rosemary roughly chopped. Stuff the mixture into all the incisions and gaps you have made with the knife. Then stuff the pancetta deep into the gaps along the bone and the incisions. This gives a lovely fragrant flavor to the meat. Season with salt and place directly on oven shelf in a pre-heated oven 225 C/425 F/Gas 7 until cooked.

Minted Bread Sauce Recipe courtesy Jamie Oliver
Episode:  Going To The Dogs 

Recipe Summary
Prep Time: 15 minutes

3 handfuls fresh mint
1 handful stale bread
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard

Finely chop 3 parts mint to 1 part finely chopped stale bread and stir in some olive oil until the mix has 'loosened.' Then balance the flavors by carefully seasoning and splashing in some vinegar to taste. The flavor improves with time as it sits.

Oven-Roasted Potatoes Recipe courtesy Jamie Oliver

Recipe Summary
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Yield: 2-3 potatoes per person

2-3 medium-sized potatoes per person
1-2 fresh rosemary sprigs

When roasting a joint such as a leg of lamb, place the meat directly on the oven rack in a preheated 425 degree oven. Place a wide roasting pan on the rack beneath the joint to catch all the fat and drippings.
Peel the potatoes and place them, whole, in a large saucepan. Cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 5 minutes, then drain. Shake the potatoes roughly in the colander to bruise their sides.

After the roast has been in the oven at least 20 minutes so that fat and drippings have started to collect in the pan, dump the parboiled potatoes into the drippings. Strip the leaves off one or two sprigs of fresh rosemary and toss them over the potatoes along with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Shake the pan well to coat the potatoes in fat and drippings. Continue to cook, occasionally turning the lamb and shaking the potatoes, for at least another hour and up to about 90 minutes, until the roast is cooked and the potatoes are crisply golden-brown outside and tender inside.

Baked Carrots with Cumin, Thyme, Butter and Chardonnay Recipe courtesy Jamie Oliver
Episode:  A Bun In The Oven 

Recipe Summary
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 4 servings

I love this dish made with baby carrots, but feel free to use fat old ones sliced at an angle if you please. Butter and wine make a fantastic sauce which just makes it for me. Serve with anything you like.

1 pound baby carrots, preferably organic, scrubbed and left whole, tops removed
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds, crushed
1 handful fresh thyme leaves
4 knobs butter (about 4 tablespoons)
1 glass Chardonnay (about 5 ounces)

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Tear off around 5feet of kitchen foil and fold it in half to give you double thickness. Place everything but the wine and seasoning in the middle of the foil. Bring up the sides and pour in the white wine. Season well. Fold or scrunch the foil together to seal. Cook in the preheated oven for 45 minutes until the carrots are tender. You may need to cook it for longer if the carrots are bigger than baby ones

Last edited by young mum (Sat 24 Feb 07 4:34pm)

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 24 Feb 07 4:51pm

young mum

Forum champ
Member since Tue 22 Mar 05

Roast leg of lamb with aubergines and onions
by jamie oliver

Most of us Brits are in love with good old roast lamb with all the trimmings – mint sauce, roast potatoes, you know the story! But life is too short to be eating the same thing all the time, so I wanted to show you a fantastic, classic Italian way of cooking lamb with aubergines. The lamb bit is dead simple; what I want you to concentrate on is the seasoning of the aubergines and you’ll be laughing.

Serves 6

1 x 2kg/4.5lb leg of lamb, preferably free-range or organic
Olive oil
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 round purple aubergines or 4 normal ones
2 red onions, peeled and each cut into about 6 wedges
1 tablespoon dried oregano
A bunch of fresh rosemary, leaves picked

For the tomato sauce

2–3 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely sliced
A large bunch of fresh flat-leaf parsley, leaves picked, stalks chopped
Olive oil
2 x 400g tins good-quality plum tomatoes
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Good-quality herb or red wine vinegar
1 dried red chilli, crumbled
3 good-quality anchovy fillets in oil, drained
Good-quality extra virgin olive oil

Preheat the oven to 220ºC/425°F/gas 7. Rub your leg of lamb all over with olive oil and salt and pepper and place in a roasting tray. Roast for 30 minutes in the preheated oven. While it’s cooking, cut the aubergines in half and then into 5cm/2 inch erratic wedges. Toss them with the onion wedges in a little olive oil with a sprinkling of salt and pepper and the dried oregano.

When the lamb has come out of the oven, pour away most of the fat and sprinkle the chopped rosemary on to the lamb. Scatter the aubergine and onion pieces around the lamb in the tray and put it back in the oven for an hour.

Meanwhile, make your tomato sauce. In a saucepan, fry the garlic and chopped parsley stalks in a splash of olive oil for a minute, then add the tomatoes, a pinch of salt and pepper, a good swig of vinegar, the dried chilli and the anchovy fillets. Simmer for 30 minutes. Make a point of checking the veg and lamb after 20 minutes. Turn the lamb over and stir the veggies, making sure they don’t go dry – add a splash of water if you need to. Look after them and they’ll be fantastic.

When the lamb is cooked, remove the tray from the oven, put the lamb on to a platter with a carving knife and fork and cover loosely with foil. Leave to sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Pour away any excess fat and then pour your tomato sauce over the roasted aubergines and onions. Place the baking tray on a medium heat, and using a wooden spoon, scrape loose all the sticky bits at the bottom but try not to break up the veg too much. You want it to be a chunky sauce, not a pulp. Add most of your parsley leaves and simmer for a couple of minutes on a gentle heat.

Now taste the sauce – it should be slightly sweet and slightly sour, so it may need another little swig of vinegar. Take a little bit of time and you’ll get it just perfect. When you’re really happy with the aubergines, and you have the same sauce consistency as in the picture opposite, pour the sauce either on to a separate platter or on to the same one as the lamb. Chop your remaining parsley leaves, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle over the parsley. Serve the lamb at the table as is, with delicious warm bread and a little salad.

Last edited by young mum (Sat 24 Feb 07 4:52pm)

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 24 Feb 07 5:50pm

TheBeast

Occupation Part time on checkouts, trying to get an an Open Uni (MA) philosophy course
From Leeds
Member since Fri 09 Feb 07

This is the recipe from the Lamb and Plum Sauce thread (currently on the 2nd page)

If you want to save time don't put sauce in the fridge - that'll save you 20 minutes. Or do the sauce tonight and cool it for tomorrow morning

OK, here, roughly, is the recipe

Ingredients

Lamb – Rack is probably best, but I used a few large joints
Rose Wine (1/2 glass per 2 or 3 servings) Echo Falls White Zinfandel is the one I used
Orange
Plums (Do 3x as many plums as oranges)
Garlic
Potatoes
Lemon
Rosemary
Thyme
Shallots
Parsnips
Frozen Peas
Asparagus
Honey
Salt
Sugar
Almonds
Pine Nuts
Macedonia Nut Oil

Method:

Quarter the plums and slice thinly, and chuck them in a medium mixing bowl
Add the zest and juice of one large orange
Add the wine
Cover and refrigerate so you can prepare the lamb

Pull out a large roasting dish and line with tinfoil; leave plenty spare to wrap round the meat
Place the lamb in the foil and salt lightly, and stick in the rosemary sprigs
Throw in 3 whole garlic cloves

Have a glass of wine.

Peel the potatoes, cut them into small pieces (about golf ball size) and wash them thoroughly
Peel the shallots
Peel and quarter the parsnips and put them in a roasting dish with the shallots
Pour some of the oil into the dish

Have a 20 minute break

Remove the sauce from the fridge and pour into a simmering saucepan.
Heat the sauce, adding 2 level tspns of sugar, until the plums break down
Let the sauce cool as you put some thyme and Macedonia nut oil in an empty roasting dish

Cut a lemon in half, place one half aside, halve the other half and scrape the zest of each quarter with a fork.
Put the lemon quarters with the thyme and oil
Pour the sauce over the lamb

Cover the lamb securely with the tinfoil and bung in the oven on a low or medium heat depending on how much time you have (I did gas 3 for 3 hours because I was waiting for the other diners to arrive home, then whacked the heat up)

Glaze the parsnips with honey. Don’t worry if a load goes on the shallots. In fact, just whack the honey on them both. You know you want to!

Place the shallots and parsnips in the top shelf of the oven about 30 minutes from the end of lamb cooking time

Throw the potatoes in salted water with the half lemon and two cloves of garlic and bring to the boil
When soft, drain the potatoes, steam dry and toss to develop crispiness
Place the potatoes in the roasting dish with the oil, thyme and lemon and bung next to the shallots and parsnips

10 minutes before the end of cooking time take the lamb from the oven and open up the tinfoil

Steam the asparagus and cook the peas in the microwave

When all is cooked, thicken the lamb sauce as preferred (aim for something like a gravy consistency)
Crush up some almonds and pine nuts with a pestle and mortar and scatter over the lamb
Give it 2 more minutes in the oven as you dish out the veg (remove the thyme)
Remove from oven, remove rosemary carve and serve with sauce and veg.

Likes (0)