forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 04 Mar 07 4:41pm

aliegarr

Occupation Environment
From Blackpool
Member since Tue 19 Sep 06

Salmon skin

I need a bit of help...I have seen Jamie cook a piece of salmon so that the skin goes nice and crispy...can this skin be eaten?

Sounds a dumb question I know, but it looks so good, and I'm a bit weary of fish! (meaning I've not cooked much before!!)

Anyone able to help??????????

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 04 Mar 07 8:42pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Re: Salmon skin

I don't know the recipe, but I'd say that you can.

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 04 Mar 07 8:49pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Salmon skin is very edible - just a matter of whether or not you like it.  But I'm afraid that I don't know the recipe.

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 05 Mar 07 12:26am

Dave Barker

Forum champ
Occupation Chef
From At the stove...
Member since Tue 29 Jun 04

To make fish skin cook realy crispy you need to make sure that the scales are completely removed, then remove as much moisture as you can from the skin before cooking it.

To do this I pat the skin dry first then sprinkle the skin with sea salt and leave it for a few minutes to absorb some of the remaining water from the skin.

After a few mins use a knife to gently scrape skin and remove the salt, but be careful not to tear or split the skin while you do this.

The skin should now be free from all moisture and is ready for cooking...

At work I have a flat fish plate on the grill which is always HOT, I use a spray bottle to finely spray oil onto it, not too much... just a thin covering of oil will do. wait a minue until the oil is searing hot then drop the fillet skin side down onto the fish plate...

Cook it skin side down for 3-4 mins then turn over and cook it flesh side down for 2-3 mins for a perfectly cooked fillet which will have a perfectly crisp skin.

Some people say that the crispy skin is the best bit!

You dont need a fish plate, just get a frying pan screaming hot...

Hope that this helps mate

All the best

Dave B

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 05 Mar 07 1:27am

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

I have a pair of eel skin shoes.  If you don't eat it, you can save it up and make it into expensive fashion items...

Personally, I don't like the idea of eating fish skin, but then again I also don't like crackling or chicken skin.

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 05 Mar 07 3:02am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

I've had deep fried salmon skin in a sushi bar. Very nice.

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 05 Mar 07 3:13am

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

me too... some Japanese resturants do the same with chicken skin, they scewer it and it's eaten with your beer/saki.

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 05 Mar 07 9:33am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

salmon skin is awesome...   we do a parchment paper pouch salmon.

nice fillet of salmon with skin .. fishmonger should scale it but check it is cleaned ...  a small amount of olive oil on bottom of pouch... a little bit of olive oil on flesh side .. sprinkle with a dry  lemon herb  seasoning.... lemon zest and a bit of golden thyme if you want fresh.  put the fillet in skin side down and close up pouch.   we then bake this in a toaster oven if you can believe it  lol   bake it pretty high heat.. suprisingly the skin will crisp up nicely even on the bottom.

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#9 Tue 06 Mar 07 1:51am

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

Just wondering... when cooking salmon in a pan are you supposed to cook it skinless side down first then flip it? Does it matter?

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 06 Mar 07 10:50am

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

I always do things skin-side first.

Likes (0)