Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 05 Mar 07 11:11am

emmylu

Occupation unknown
From sydney, nsw, australia
Member since Mon 20 Nov 06

EAST TIMORESE RECIPES

Hi guys,
i have recently started an assinement on developing countries and we have been asked to research a developing country and cook a traditional dish that includes the 'staple food' of the chosen country.
after allot of thinkin i have chosen East Timor as my country.
I have googled it using different words, etc and cant find anything appropriate.
does anyone kno of any traditional East Timorese foods? the only thing is that i need to be able to cook it in a 1hr time frame and be able to get the ingredients easily. i have considered maybe just choosing an indonesian food as the two are neighbouring countries and use similar ingredients, etc. so maybe an indonesian dish is a possibilty. can anyone help?
i would be very greatful!!!
thanks in advance,
emma
xxx

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 06 Mar 07 12:22am

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Re: EAST TIMORESE RECIPES

Sorry emmylu, I have no idea, but thought I would give your thread a little push wink

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 06 Mar 07 5:39am

falconcy

Forum champ
Occupation Project Manager
From Limassol, Cyprus
Member since Tue 19 Dec 06

Rice is a staple food in East Timor. Maize, cassava, sweet potatoes and taro are grown. Other vegetables are beans, cowpeas, cabbage, spinach and onions. Poultry, pigs and goats are kept. Fish supplements the diet. Spices are used in a number of recipes.

Bananas, coconuts, mangoes, papayas and watermelons are cultivated.

The staple diet for most East Timorese is similar to that of Indonesians – rice and spices – although there may well be difficulty in obtaining a variety of foods outside main urban areas due to the unstable political situation, the financial situation of many of the people and internal logistical difficulties. In Dili, there are a number of restaurants and cafes serving western cuisine, catering to the foreigners living and working there.
National specialities:
• Fish (preferably fried, with delicacies being prawns).
• Curries (chicken is a favourite).
• Authentic Chinese, Japanese and Portuguese dishes.
National drinks:
• Coffee (East Timor coffee is very high in caffeine, organically grown and renowned for its sharp flavour).

You might try getting this book from a library:

Cuisines of Portuguese Encounters: Recipes from Angola, Azores, Brazil, Cape Verde, East Timor, Goa, Guinea-Bissau, Macau, Madeira, Malacca, Mozambique, Portugal, and Sao Tome and Principe (Hardcover)
by Cherie Hamilton

# Hardcover: 378 pages
# Publisher: Hippocrene Books (June 1, 2001)
# Language: English
# ISBN: 0781808316
# Product Dimensions: 9.4 x 6.1 x 1.2 inches

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de … mp;s=books

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 06 Mar 07 6:03am

emmylu

Occupation unknown
From sydney, nsw, australia
Member since Mon 20 Nov 06

thanks for that guys!
susanneH- thanks for the bump smile
falcony- thanks for the recommendation, i will check that book out.
i think im pretty much screwed for this assinement now, lol... nah, i will keep at it, im sure i can find something.. i think i may just find an indonesian recipe and then maybe adjust it to suite the east timorese culture

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 06 Mar 07 3:03pm

Stefanie

Forum champ
From Flashing my gold
Member since Fri 09 Jul 04

Emmy...don't give up yet!

As far as I know,East Timor draws its culture from the Portuguese,Roman Catholics and Malays.
So,your inspiration might look towards these cultures...
With the poverty factor though,they haven't had much to eat,much less develop a specific cuisine. So you might want to look towards some Indonesian dishes,and go from there.

However,yes,as falconcy said,they pretty much consume rice and their food is spiced...however not to heavily,more as a perfume---to compliment rather than to stand out.
Some popular Indonesian dishes include Opor Ayam, Nasi Goreng and Rendang...do you need recipes?

Meanwhile,this lady makes a wicked opor ayam..
http://kuali.com/services/print_recipe.asp?r=1728

Last edited by Stefanie (Tue 06 Mar 07 3:07pm)

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 06 Mar 07 9:45pm

falconcy

Forum champ
From Limassol, Cyprus

I'm not trying to inject any sarcasm here, but if you want to hit a point home here, ie that food can be kinda scarce in East Timor, you could always try tree bark.

See:

http://stir.org.au/stir/Content.aspx?topicID=349

http://stir.org.au/stir/Assets/ContentImages/recipe.swf

Last edited by falconcy (Tue 06 Mar 07 9:50pm)

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 07 Mar 07 6:59am

Stefanie

Forum champ
From Flashing my gold

I actually saw the link yesterday falconcy,but don't know if Emmy's course instructors will see her as trying to take the mickey out of it...?

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 07 Mar 07 9:01am

falconcy

Forum champ
From Limassol, Cyprus

I think much depends on the course being taken and whether a point needs to be made here. The practicalities of making it and serving it up would likely render it as not viable, however used in the right way, it would be "food for thought" and could send a powerful message as well as indicating good research skills and coming across as someone who cares about regional issues.

Perhaps serving food from the region would work, but mentioning the fact that many East Timorese do not have access to food and need to eat tree bark to survive. The trick here is to handle things tastefully without being over sensationalist.

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 07 Mar 07 1:47pm

sandra_tansy

Occupation student
From Melbourne, Australia
Member since Wed 07 Feb 07

Hey, I'm Indonesian and I have some recipes for you...They're not East Timorese ones but they're Indonesian...

This is "Opor Ayam" from Yogyakarta, basically it's chicken cooked with coconut milk. Here's the recipe.

Ingredients:
1 chicken divide it into 8 parts (legs, breast, wings)
1 lt coconut milk
1 tbs palm sugar
3 bayleaves
5 cm galingale (in Indonesia we call it "lengkuas")
3 lime leaves
3 lemongrass pods
500 ml water
2 tbs oil
8 red onions
10 garlic
1 tbs coriander
6 candlenuts

Method:
1. Put the red onions, garlic, coriander, and candlenuts into food processor or crused it until it becomes a smooth paste.
2. Sautee it until it smells great.
3. Add the bayleaves, galiangale, lime leaves, and lemongrass pods.
4. Add the chicken pieces, sautee for a while until the chicken has change colour. Add the water, cover the pan and bring it to boil.
5. After the chicken is half done, add the palm sugar and coconut milk. Cook it until the chicken is tender.

Usually this dish is eaten with warm rice and prawn cracker.
Good luck with your assignment and ask me if you have any questions.
thumbsup

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 07 Mar 07 1:58pm

Stefanie

Forum champ
From Flashing my gold

falconcy...I totally get where you are coming from.

Maybe there can be a compromise...emmy can do a proper dish,and then on the side,prepare the tree bark paste to send home a message?
As in,they could be eating *insert proper prepared dish* if generous donations are made...as opposed to the tree bark paste...

Likes (0)