#1 Sun 04 Mar 07 4:10am

kimber

Forum champ
Occupation Mom and TKD Red Stripe
From Alberta
Member since Sat 24 Jun 06

Hubby's Poker Party

Hi all,
My hubby is planning a "Boy's" night in a few weeks and I was looking for some ideas for things to serve.  Preferably not to complicated and things that can be made ahead would be a plus thumbsup

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 04 Mar 07 12:42pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Re: Hubby's Poker Party

Nachos?  They always go down well and aren't a hassle to make.  I love them with homemade mango salsa (peach works well too), lots of guacamole and sour cream, and an absolute mound of melted cheese.  I'm addicted to jalapenos, so they put in a major appearance too...

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 04 Mar 07 12:52pm

Georgie

From Jamie's office
Member since Thu 06 Jul 06

yes yes, nachos are a must!! loooots of cheese...

or, quesidillas? for a variation? have a stack of triangles for the guys to pick at...

or some homemade sausage rolls? (i am having a 'sausage roll' addiction this month  tongue  )

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 04 Mar 07 2:59pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland

I had a sausage roll phase a while ago too, now I've moved on... to cucumber.  I'm getting through a whole one a day.   hmm  Bit healthier, I suppose.

I hate it when my boyfriend decides to have a Boys' Night, they always seem so contrived.  It's like they're trying to recreate something they've seen in a movie.  They even once had cigars, but they lost their appeal when I shouted at them for considering lighting them inside and made them stand on the front step, in the dark, huddled in the entrance sheltering from the rain.  Heehee. 

Quesdadillas are a really good idea, we had some the other day and I forgot how amazing they are.  If you want something more substantial, chicken wings are so easy and tasty (and relatively cheap too, depending on numbers).  Or ribs?  They also seem suitably manly...

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 04 Mar 07 4:40pm

kimber

Forum champ
From Alberta

Thanks for those ideas girls!  I had not even thought of quesadillas.  Very easy and very yummy! 

And Anna, I already nixed the cigar in the house thing!  If they feel the need to smoke, it's going to be outside! (And you have to remember that it is still winter here  - cuurently -24C with the windchill! lol )

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 05 Mar 07 1:25am

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland

Heehee, well done.  It was only around freezing here, but blowing a gale force wind and icy.  They went off that idea fast! 

How many people will be coming?  And are you invited, or expected to present edibles then vanish again until needed?

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 05 Mar 07 12:01pm

KT35

Member since Fri 29 Dec 06

The last Boys night my other half had was easy, I made a huge chilli, put it in the slow cooker to keep warm, dangerous if my other half has to reheat anything, and left it in the kitchen with a bowl of rice and some Taco shells, a bit of salad (they didn't touch) and a mound of cheese. I left out plates, spoons and forks then went round my friends house with a bottle of wine.   Believe it or not, they actually managed to put the bowls in a sink full of soapy water too !!

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 08 Mar 07 6:26am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Meatball Sub-Marino's

2 1/2 pounds lean Ground Beef
2 Eggs
2 cups bread crumbs
3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon oil
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
Salt and Pepper

Get a big bowl and combine all the ingredients. Mashing and smashing them all together beyond all recognition. Now go relax for a few hours. For an extra point on flavor, let it sit overnight.

Now it's time to make some meatballs. You'll need to get your hands wet before you get them dirty, so moisten them with a little water, and shape the meat mixture into balls 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Either just fry the meatballs in oil, or roast them in the oven for about 15 minutes, and add them to the sauce.

2 quarts plum tomatoes
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped salt to taste
5 large basil leaves

To start the sauce, puree the tomatoes. Now heat the oil and add your onion, then your garlic. Let it sit briefly, then add your tomatoes and salt. Let all of that get familiar for 10 minutes at a simmer. Tear up your basil into wee bits and toss it into the mix. Let all that simmer for a few more minutes, and you're meatball ready.

be sure to keep plenty of fresh rolls on hand, and some grated mozzerella or parmesan cheese to seal the deal.

PEAR, ONION, AND DRY JACK CHEESE STRUDELS
These delicious strudels can be put together one day before baking.

click photo to enlarge
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
1 onion, chopped
1 Bosc pear, peeled, halved, cored, sliced
3/4 cup (packed) grated dry Jack cheese or 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese and 1/4 cup grated sharp white cheddar cheese
3 teaspoons whole grain Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 sheets frozen phyllo pastry, thawed

Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until brown, about 7 minutes. Add pear and sauté 3 minutes. Transfer pear mixture to medium bowl. Cool slightly. Stir in cheese, mustard and salt.
Melt remaining 4 tablespoons butter in small saucepan over medium heat. Place 1 phyllo sheet on work surface. (Cover remaining phyllo with plastic wrap and damp kitchen towel.) Brush with melted butter. Top with second phyllo sheet. Brush with melted butter. Arrange half of pear mixture in log along 1 short end of phyllo, leaving 1-inch border at each end of pear mixture. Fold in sides and roll up tightly into log. Brush all over with butter. Transfer to large baking sheet. Repeat with remaining phyllo, butter, and pear mixture. (Strudels can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake strudels until golden brown, about 18 minutes. Cool 5 minutes. Transfer 1 strudel to cutting board. Cut on diagonal into 12 pieces. Repeat with remaining strudel. Transfer to platter and serve.

Deli Sandwiches
Provide a variety of thinly-sliced meats, plenty of vegetables, condiments and at least two varieties of bread, and have your poker buddies build their own sandwiches.
1 lb. sliced ham
2 lbs. sliced pastrami
2 lbs. sliced turkey
8 oz. Swiss or Provolone cheese, sliced
8 oz. aged sharp cheddar cheese, sliced
3 large tomatoes, sliced
1 head Romaine lettuce, stem ends removed
1 red onion, halved and sliced
1 small jar dill pickles

Condiments: Deli mustard, mayonnaise, horseradish spread, oil and vinegar, salt and pepper

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 13 Mar 07 10:58pm

kimber

Forum champ
From Alberta

Well the party is set for Friday.  I have a movie all picked out and am going to enjoy having the remote all to myself lol For the boys I have decided to go with:
Quesadillas with Guacamole
Warm Black Bean Dip
Dry Garlic Ribs
Tex Mex Suprise Dip
Taco chips, pretzels, chips, etc

I'll let you know how things go.  If any one has any other ideas, please post away!!

Likes (0)