forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 08 Mar 07 12:02pm

purple-jet-blue

Occupation stay at home mum
From swindon
Member since Mon 05 Mar 07

kids birthday party

hello all i was wondering if anyone can give me any ideas for a 4 year old birthday party, i am doing all the normal stuff eg sarnies, mini sausages sausage rolls chrisps and cake. i am going to do pitta chrisps also but need some more ideas.
thank you  smile

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 08 Mar 07 6:53pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: kids birthday party

little fingers of fresh carrots and cucumber.
Cadburys Chocolate fingers.

when you make little 'buns'/cupcakes make them in the tiny pettifour cases, the sort that you would put homemade sweets in. If you do this you will find that a lot less is wasted and they look cute!
The same applies to things like chocolate crispy cakes.

cut the sandwiches into small fingers .

I think that lille cocktail sausages would be just as good as sausage rolls. (sausage rolls always get brought into the school parties and are not always eaten).

I have always found that mini things go down better at childrens parties and there is a lot less waste.

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 08 Mar 07 7:08pm

purple-jet-blue

From swindon

thanks mummza given me some really good ideas  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 09 Mar 07 6:43am

gregandjanine

Occupation Teacher/Registered Nurse
From Brisbane Australia
Member since Fri 14 Apr 06

You could get into the Aussie tradition and make 'fairy bread'
All you do is butter a slice of white bread... turn it upside down so the butter is underneath and then lay it into a dish of hundreds and thousands....  It comes out all colourful and sprinkly and sweet... so easy to do. Cut it into quarters, either squares or triangles, whatever takes your child's fancy.

I just made my 19 year old disabled son a birthday cake... it was yesterday. I cheated and cooked a cadbury chocolate cake.. with the icing included, iced it, but then bought two family bars of milk chocolate and broke it into bars of six pieces each, I lined the chocolate cake on the outside with the chocolate bars... then I put malteaser's around the edge... the bars held them in place and stopped them from rolling off... and then I broke up two bars of peppermint aero and sprinkled it on top... it was absolutely delightful... so decadent and sugar loaded. My three teenagers have just got home now and scoffed into it all... or what was left of it!

We also do frog in a pond... which is just doing individual jellies in clear plastic drinking cups... and putting a Fredo frog in the middle... a chocolate frog.

Lots of mini sausage rolls and mini meat pies... cocktail Frankfurt, mini spring rolls and mini dim sim's. The trick is to put this out first. Only give them about 10 minutes then let them into the sweet stuff. They will get bored very quickly.

Don't forget the lollie (sweet) bags at the end so each child takes home a little treat each.

Hope this helps......

Janine  smile

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 09 Mar 07 8:15am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

gregandjanine...we go a little bit further than maltesers around the bottom of the cake!!

It all started some years ago when I had to make a birthday cake at speed! I made a plain cake ,melted  the galaxy chocolate ,that was in the house and tipped it on top of the cake. The chocolate started to go 'spotty' as it dried so I quickly pressed some Haribo jelly sweets into the top of the cake!

Over the years this cake has 'grown' to rediculous proportions!! Now the idea of the cake seems to be.... cover the cake with melted chocolate (always cadburys!!) you have to put on as much chocolate as the cake will hold!put maltesers around the base of the cake...to try to stem the flow  of the chocolate!... ontop of the chocolate ...pile as many sweets ,harribo's,skittles, minstrals,whatever sort of sweets that you fancy!! pile these sweets on untill you start a 'landslide'! then to top it all... stick chubba-chub lollies into the top.
Now this makes it a little difficult to place candles on the cake. you have to place the candle holders in the cake before the cake has set and being carefull about the lollies.

Personally I hate the cake puke but it proved very popular with my children when they were younger. Now it seems to be a winner withn all the university friends! ( lol Requests for a birthday cakes seem to be frequent.)

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 09 Mar 07 1:14pm

purple-jet-blue

From swindon

tha gaj i have the party bags all sorted with a pack of sweetes, a piece of birthaday cake two toys and a cookie mix and recipe.so that they can go home and cook with there mums or dads.

Likes (0)