forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 11 Mar 07 12:01am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Tagines- the cookware- not the food

We love Morrocan and North African food in general. I cook it quite often in a castiron casserole dish/Dutch oven.It works well but nothing seems to compare with a tagine's aroma when the "lid" is lifted.

Problems: the base of the tagine seems so small in comparison to a Dutch oven;

I have a minute kitchen and there is only so much I can fit into it.

The castiron version is *so* heavy, I couldn't manage it safely by myself. The earthen wear version, whilst also lacking handles, also appears dangerous to arthritic wrists and backs.

So, I throw this question into the cosmos: does your tagine earn its place in your kitchen or would my multi-tasking Dutch oven be better suited?

Thanks,
Maree.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#2 Mon 12 Mar 07 8:01am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Re: Tagines- the cookware- not the food

I read a review of tagines in the good living part of the sydney morning herald http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/good-living/ that said the earthen ware was better than the other ones. But i have heard a dutch oven works just as well. I only have a dutch oven - i've been banned from buying more cookware

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 12 Mar 07 8:24am

Maree

Forum super champ

Thanks again white rabbit. Think I'll stick with the dutch oven/casserole. I am a cookbook/cooking wear "aholic". I've filled the cupbords, shelves and benches and now things are so bad, I use the oven and the laundry for storing my "stash".

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 13 Mar 07 8:46am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

I have a frypan, a selection of tupperware, pie dishes, two small salad bowls and a selection of glass jars of different sizes in the lounge room. It's really quite tragic

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 13 Mar 07 10:16am

Maree

Forum super champ

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I didn't mention the baking trays under the bed and "collection" of serving bowls and platters in the living areas. They started off as display but are now legitimate storage. Then there's the plates, basketware and (family) antique cake coolers and cast iron "gem scone" etc items that are "displayed" on the walls.

Did I forget to mention that the linen cupboard is now 3/4 pantry? The linen is in the wardrobes where it has become good friends with cookbooks (more than- no I'm too embarassed to say- how many).

Vacuuming is a breeze. So is dusting. Few surfaces are not covered by teetering piles of foodie magazines (back to the '70s) and cookbooks.

There should be a self-help group for us ... Now what am I cooking for dinner? Oh, yes, calzone with spinach, feta, olives and marinated char-grilled vegs and a green salad.

Despite the embarrassing number of mags and books, that is the question I dread daily, especially since I run my business from home. Home is work and work is home.

12 step programme: I admit I have a problem with cookbooks/mags/cookware. I am (almost) powerless with this problem.

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 18 Mar 07 10:28am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

oooh a gem scone tray, lucky you.

i still have some platters and tea cups at my parent's house (it's only 15 minutes away if i ever need it).

I gather you are like me and have amassed more recipes than you can possible create in your lifetime. It's a rather hopeless feeling but i still buy more. I try not to go into bookshops or kitchenware shops (or onto www.petersofkensington.com.au).

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 18 Mar 07 11:13am

Maree

Forum super champ

Oh, White Rabbit, my nemesis: Peters of Kensington.I have built up my collection of Pillivuyt and Le Creuset over 30 years by buying when they're on sale at Peters or DJs or Myers.

I realised more than 20yrs ago, I had more recipes than I could possibly cook in a lifetime. That doesn't count for family favourites cooked many times over.

One of the reasons I'm not breaking my neck over replacing my laptop and am using a BlackBerry is that I can't order from amazon.com with the B'Berry. Amazon is a serious danger for me. 

Yes, I actually have my Nan's gem scone tray and others that I've bought through eBay (my other dangerous site).

Let's stay (try to) stay strong,
Maree.

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 18 Mar 07 11:40am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

I was seriously tempted by the 2 for 1 creuset dutch oven offer some weeks ago but i couldn't find the space. (Have you seen that big momma dutch oven for creuset? it's 12 litres) A homewares shop nearby closed down (increasing rent in westfield) and i left with as much as I could carry (that's my rule with cookware shops and bookshops, i have to be able to carry it to the car; i also have a rule about cook books needing to have photos for every recipe unless there is a special reason to get it).

I've collected recipes for about 9 years now (i'm still in my 20s, just), I'm now the proud owner of about 6 or so feet of cookbooks and numerous magazines and many more cut outs (from magazines sacraficed for space) and numerous text files of things butchered off the internet. Mr rabbit is into cooking but not as into the collecting of cookware and books as i am (he gave me a matfer frypan for christmas - at my request)

I have my grandmother's ring cake tin. A love of cooking skipped a generation with my mother. Mum has the family gem stone tray but won't use it or give it up.

I've so far avoided buying too much tupperware. My first purchases were recent through someone at work. I think I'll wait until we own a house and then buy some more. Though part of me thinks that glass jars or decor plasticware(from the supermarket or bunnings, at a quarter of the price) is a better bet.

Likes (0)

#9 Sun 18 Mar 07 12:12pm

Maree

Forum super champ

Hon'the two for one Le Creuset, I'd have found room for. Keep your eye open for the offer to come around again.Call it investment shopping.DJs and Myer and Peters have offers every 6-8 weeks.

As for the major houseware shop (franchise) that shut down just before Christmas, I was too late- just when I wanted to replace my Magimix!!! Am pretty sure I know what shop you meant- also in Westfield.

My family is like yours'. Dad did all the cooking. Mum had *no* interest.

I agree,hon, that glass jars and decor plastic-ware from the supermarket (just check the seal before you buy- many *dont* fit properly) are a better way to go rather than the brand you mention, except for specific purposes.

I have this collection of white china and Le Creuset which has seen me ~30years.

It will see me out.I have a daughter who is completely uninterested in food. My son is a real "foodie". He belongs in the industry but refuses to conform to the rules of the industry.

Regardless, my food "cache" will find a good home, as will my embarrassingly large cookbook collection. I've even written them into my will!

Maree

Likes (0)