forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 18 Mar 07 11:13am

jakjak

Member since Thu 28 Dec 06

Cooking in the bag

Hi everyone!
I only have one Jamie book, "Jamie's Kitchen" Anyway, there are only a few recipes for cooking in the bag with fish. I was wondering if you guys know of anymore? I saw a few on his show Happy Days, but didnt get a chance to write them down.
I hope you can help!
Thanks big_smile

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 18 Mar 07 5:13pm

Tanya

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Re: Cooking in the bag

Here are a couple of bake in the bag chicken recipes which may be of interest.

Jamie's recipe for Chicken Breast baked in a bag with Mushrooms, Butter, White Wine and Thyme from his book "Happy Days with the Naked Chef"

2 x 200gr/7oz skinless chicken breasts
1 handful dried porcini
255gr/9oz mixed mushrooms, torn up
1 large wineglass white wine
3 large knobs of butter
1 handful fresh thyme
2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced

As this is for 2 people I'm going to make a large envelope/bag to cook everything in. Using wide tin-foil make your bag by placing 2 pieces on top of each other (about as big as 2 shoeboxes in length) folding 3 sides in and leaving 1 side open.

Pre-heat the oven to 220C/425F/gas7.

Mix everything together in a bowl, including the chicken.  Place in your bag with all the wine juice, making sure you don't pierce the foil.  Close up the final edge, making sure the bag is tightly sealed and secure on all sides, and carefully slide it on to a roasting tray.  Place the tray on a high heat on the hob for 1 minute to get the heat going, then bake in the middle of your preheated oven for 25 minutes.

Remove from the oven, place the bag on a big plate, take it to the table and break open the foil.   Feel free to vary the recipe - things like grated parsnip, smoked bacon and red wine also work well.

Jamie's recipe for Chicken Breast baked in a Bag with Cannellini Beans, Leeks, Cream and Marjoram from his book "Happy Days with the Naked Chef".

about 10 baby leeks, trimmed and washed
2 x 200gr / 7oz skinless chicken breasts
1 x 400gr / 14oz tin of cannellini beans, drained and washed
1 clove of garlic, peeled and sliced
1 small handful of fresh marjoram or oregano, leaves picked
1 small wineglass of white wine
140ml / 5 fl oz double cream
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

As this is for 2 people I'm going to make a large envelope/bag to cook everything in.  Using wide tin-foil make your bag by placing 2 pieces on top of each other (about as big as 2 shoeboxes in length) folding 3 sides in and leaving 1 side open.

Pre-heat the oven to 220C/425F/gas7. 

Put the leeks into a pan and cook in boiling water for 2 minutes just to soften.  Drain and mix in a bowl with all the other ingredients, including the chicken, mushing a handful of the cannellini beans to a pulp in your hands.  Season well, then place in your bag with all the creamy sauce, making sure you don't pierce the foil.  Close up the final edge, making sure the bag is tighly sealed and secure on all sides, and carefully slide it on to a roasting tray.  Place the tray on a high heat on the hob for 1 minute to get the heat going then bake in the middle of your preheated oven for 25 minutes.

Remove from the oven, place the bag on a big plate, take it to the table and break open the foil.  Feel free to vary the recipe - things like cooked new potatoes, a tablespoon of wholegrain mustard, or a couple of handfuls of raw spinach are all good.

Likes (0)