Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 16 Mar 07 9:54pm

canuckqueen8

Member since Fri 16 Mar 07

Help with caramel

Hi Jamie, if you are reading this, I think you are fab and are doing a great job, keep up the great work!

I tried to make caramelized orange slices from Jamie's Family Dinners book.  They are in there with I think it is a chocolate clafoutis and also as part of the cheat's dessert recipe.

I made the caramel, which seemed to work, but when I put the orange juice it, the caramel didn't loosen, it hardened up into taffy!  I tried a second time with heated orange juice and that worked a bit better, but the caramel was still threatening to harden and I just threw it on the orange slices.

What am I doing wrong?  It did take a long time to form the caramel and it seemed like a fair bit of the water evaporated away, but I thought that was probably what needed to happen to get caramel....

Thanks in advance for any advice.

KIM

help

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 17 Mar 07 7:11pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Re: Help with caramel

Without having read the recipe, it's just after 5am here and I've just taken out the last batch for today's (Sunday's) Farmers' and Growers' Markets.

Have you thought about adding the oj to the caramel from the start and having the oranges at room temp?

Just a thought. I am not a "dessert" person. Dessert for us equals fresh fruit, creme au caramel, creme brulee, crepes or bread and butter pudding. Depends on the season.

Good luck!

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#3 Sat 17 Mar 07 10:01pm

Freda

Occupation Logistics
From South Africa
Member since Sat 21 Aug 04

Yeah, the oj at room temp. You need to remeber that making the caramel is made at extreme heat temps and also the acidity content of the orange juice....
Salute  M
P.S it's a awesome dish when you get it right!

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 18 Mar 07 11:57am

canuckqueen8

Member since Fri 16 Mar 07

Thanks for the suggestions.  The oj and oranges were at room temp....hmm.  Maybe adding the oj from the beginning would work, but would you still get caramel?  I wonder if you wouldn't then need to adjust amounts.  Maybe using the oj at the beginning instead of water?

As for the acidity of the oj, what would I need to do to account for that?

Thanks!

KIM

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 18 Mar 07 12:24pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Am no dessert expert as stated.

I'd try substituting the oj for some of the water from the start. 

Boiling down the sugar, water and oj will increase the acidity of the caramel.

You'll have to compensate for the acidity when the caramel is made.??? Use water instead of the extra oj or use a mix of oj and water.

Just a suggestion.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#6 Mon 19 Mar 07 6:45am

WaiferThinMint

Occupation Student, Chef on the side
From Philadelphia, PA, USA
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

I'm also not much of a desert master, but I think I know whats going on here.

It sounds  to me like you have made a full caramel, which means that all the water originally in the pan has boiled out.  Thus when you  add the OJ it puts just enough liquid back into the equation to allow the sugar to 'seize' or go all  hard  as you have said it does.

To combat this you can add enough water to loosen the syrup slightly before adding the OJ (I forget how much sugar is in the recipe, something like 1/6th the volume  of the sugar (for the H20) will work).

I'd try to avoid cooking the caramel with the OJ as your liquid from the beginning.  Though it will work, as  the acidity will denature the sucrose preventing it from setting up once the cooler liquid  is added, cooked OJ can go tremendously bitter, and as the sugar is ~300 degrees F when it becomes a caramel I would worry about that side effect.  A splash of white vinegar or corn syrup at the beginning would have the same effect without the  risk of bitterness.

I hope this  works out for you, the desert really is great once it comes out properly.

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 19 Mar 07 7:11am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

I agree with WTM... your caremel is too cooked before adding the juice.

Likes (0)