Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 13 Mar 07 9:57am

Cherrybean

Member since Tue 13 Mar 07

Wanted - chocolate chicken recipe

Does anyone have a chocolate chicken recipe. I have heard of it, but have yet to find an appealing recipe.
Thanks

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 13 Mar 07 2:20pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Re: Wanted - chocolate chicken recipe

Are you talking about mole?  I have only attempted to make it from scratch one time and that was long ago.  I find that the jarred paste--particularly the Dona Maria brand is very good.  Luckily I live in an area where there are lots of Mexican immigrants and so I don't need to go far to get it.  You might check the Latino section of the market if they have one.
Eddie

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 13 Mar 07 7:29pm

benbob

From Nottingham, UK
Member since Wed 08 Mar 06

Search google for the Hairy Bikers, I think there is a Mole recipe on their site

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 14 Mar 07 5:20am

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

Try this link for many Chocolate Chicken recipes thumbsup

http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/search … te+chicken

Shammy smile

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 21 Mar 07 4:15pm

ellboy

From ell's kitchen
Member since Mon 11 Apr 05

im sure you're referring to mexican mole (its mo-leh so dont worry there are no moles in it) which traditionally is made with chocolate.

i know a bit about this as my wife is mexican and its her favorite dish so my in-laws always bring us some over when they come.

try to get the doña maria brand of paste that was mentioned before by SonomaEddie it is an excellent one and very easy to use. dont be put off because its pre-made ive been to mexican street markets and even the little old ladies buy their mole in paste form as making from scratch is long winded and doesnt improve the results. a lot of the chiles the recipe calls for are dried anyway.

here's what to do:

*place a whole or chopped chicken in a pan of water with some onion and garlic and boil till tender.
*remove the chicken and allow to cool.
*gently fry some chopped onion and garlic in a little oil until soft then add the mole paste. (its worth using the lot, if you have any sauce left over it will keep well for another day)
*continue to cook for a few minutes to heat the paste through.
*add the stock from the chicken a few ladlefuls at a time, stirring well between each addition until achieving the required thickness.
*at this point you can return the chicken to the sauce with a little more stock (as the sauce will thicken while reheated), heat through and serve with plain boiled rice.
*but...
*if you want to be more traditional, before adding the chicken, add half a slab of dark cooking chocolate and 1/2-1 can of coca cola.
*now return the chicken to the sauce and serve as before.

traditionally the chicken is added in pieces, on the bone, personally i like to pick the chicken from the bone while cold and just add the meat, its really awkward to eat chicken on the bone in a thick brown sauce!

before serving, sprinkle the mole with toasted sesame seeds and serve with hot toasted tortillas.

any leftover sauce is great with enchiladas, just roll some chicken and cheese in a corn tortilla, cover with the mole sauce and heat in the oven.

my mouth is watering, ive got some mole sauce in the fridge that was leftover on monday, it'll be gone by tonight...

el.

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 21 Mar 07 7:04pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Hey, El.  I always pick the meat off the chicken too and add it to the sauce which I then eat over rice.  I love to put spoonfuls of it in warm corn tortillas along with cheese and a nice healthy (or maybe unhealthy) glob of sour cream and eat it like a heart attack taco.
Eddie

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 21 Mar 07 10:36pm

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

This a kids recipe (Planet Cook) its not anything like traditional but it is certainly edible.

1 red capsicum
1 green capsicum
1 onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp sugar
100gm good quality dark cooking chocolate
1 cup chicken stock
500gm chicken fillets
small handful raisons

To serve:
toasted flaked almonds
toasted sesame seeds
boiled rice

Cook off chicken & set aside
Saute veg in a little oil, add spices & fry stirring for a few minutes.
Add stock & simmer until reduced by half.
Add the chocolate in & stir until well combined, add the chicken back in & the raisons.

Serve with boiled rice, sprinkle with almonds & sesame seeds

Last edited by frizz1974 (Wed 21 Mar 07 10:37pm)

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 22 Mar 07 6:44am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Chicken in chocolate sauce 

Ingredients :
4 chicken breasts
4 tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 onion
3 teaspoons dark cocoa powder
2 teaspoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons tomato puree
1/4 l chicken stock
1 tablespoon creme fraiche

Recipe :
Lightly flour the meat, then saute for about 10 minutes in olive oil. Put to one side.
Make stock in a saucepan, remove from heat once boiled, then add tomato puree.
Peel and chop onion, then brown in same pan as chicken. Sprinkle with cocoa powder, sugar and cinnamon.
Add chicken stock and chicken breasts, leave to cook over a low heat for about 20 minutes.
Add creme fraiche and leave sauce to thicken for a couple of minutes over a low heat.
Serve immediately, with rice.

Likes (0)