forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 20 Mar 07 2:58pm

viviana mazzarella

Member since Mon 20 Sep 04

magic fish

hi everyone, iwould like to get some new ideas to cook fish, to help my cholesterol get down, and because i like it too.thanks a lot  smile

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 22 Mar 07 12:29am

oldthreetoes

Occupation Music Journalist/Writer and editor
From Vancouver, Canada
Member since Wed 21 Mar 07

Re: magic fish

Stick to lean fish like halibut, or even seafood like prawns.  They have low fat content....

Try poaching in flavored waters, or baking in the oven, wrapped in foil with onions, mushrooms, salt, pepper and garlic...

Try asian flavors like soy, ginger and chilies..

A lot of people feel fish needs to be battered, or fried in oil or butter to lose the "fishy flavor and smell"  Not the case...

Remember, fish like salmon do have great Omega 3 and 6 content, but it is still a fattier fish, and should not be eaten as often as a sole, cod or halibut.

I hope this is helpful

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 22 Mar 07 12:52am

viviana mazzarella

thanks a lot! i'll try your suggestions, but just reading made me think this will taste good smile

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 22 Mar 07 8:53am

Senga B

Occupation Taxi driver, nurse,cook, cleaner-in other words MUM
From Malta
Member since Wed 14 Mar 07

Hey watch out for the prawns- very high cholestral content.  If it's a large fish
cook it in a salt crust.  Just cover the bottom of the dish with sea salt, place the whole cleaned fish , but do not remove the scales, on the salt and cover again with a thick layer of sea salt.  Bake in a pre heated oven elec.200c gas 6, for a fish weighing 500g you need about 20mins. for a fish from 1k-1.5k you'll need 30-35mins.  Once its been cooked leave to rest then crack the salt crust.  It should lift off taking the scaley skin off with it.  It really won't do your blood pressure any harm 'cause you can't taste the salt at all.

You could always cook fish in foil parcels with lemon juice, a dash of white wine, garlic and tomatoes,again bake for about 20mins.

If it's a good fish I think it should be left as near natural as poss.

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 23 Mar 07 3:51pm

Chanr

Forum champ
From Melbourne
Member since Mon 14 Mar 05

There are many types of fish to choose from. Depending on how you intend to cook it, you'd choose different types of fish. Smaller whole fish is good for baking, especially as a parcel. Large cutlets of deep sea fish such as harpuka and swordfish are more suited to the pan/grill, and very small fish such as sardines work well on the pan/grill too.

Oily fish is very good for you as it contains essential fatty acids, espeically omega3. Omega3 is good for the skin, eyes, joints, brain and nervous system. Salmon, espcially the belly cutlet contains plenty of essential fatty acids. Just be aware that it can taste very fishy, as not eveyone may enjoy such an intense flavour.

Fish is very versatile and goes with many things such as grains, lentils  many types of vegetables and a wide range of herbs and spices. Some examples are rice, cous cous, lemon, spinach, dill,  spring onions, chives...etc. If you do some experiementing, you will be surprised. I quite like a grilled fish cutlet with a mash. Morrocan flavours work really well. Steamed fish is very popular in my family. We have it with ingredients such as spring onion, ginger, soy sauce, garlic, black bean paste...etc

When cooking fish, you don't want to be overcooked. Overcooked fish will become dry and less pleasant to eat. It's better to err on the side if it slightly undercooked when you're working with a cutlet, but of course some people will prefer it thouroughly cooked in regards to issues of food saftey. Nonetheless, a good guide to check how cooked your fish is (taken from Cook with Jamie) to poke a metal skewer into the thickest part of the fish. Leave it there for about 10 seconds and then rest it on your lower lip.  If it's cool, then the fish needs more time. If it's warm, then the fish is done.

Also check out this website. It has some excellent tips and ideas.
http://www.fishworks.co.uk/

Happy cooking!

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 24 Mar 07 2:33am

viviana mazzarella

thanks for the ideas, i feel bored sometimes, cooking always the same, i'll try and tell you how it goes big_smile

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 24 Mar 07 12:47pm

supershedseven

Occupation Bank Official
From Belfast
Member since Wed 07 Feb 07

Maybe this isnt what your looking for but its simple, quick and boy its tasty.  Mussles.  I have a bit of an obsession with them and i cant get enough of them.

Linguine/Spaghetti. (Cooked as prefered)
White Wine (1 Glass)
Lemon Juice (good couple of squeezes)
Fresh Mussles (as much as you like)
Parsley (chopped)
Bit of Pepper but no Salt

Mix all together

Perfect ! big_smile

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 24 Mar 07 2:57pm

Chanr

Forum champ
From Melbourne
Member since Mon 14 Mar 05

Also, if you check out Jamie's recipe area on this site, there is a section with fish recipes that you may wish to try.

Here's the link: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fish/

Likes (0)