forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 20 Mar 07 8:37pm

Lew1592

Occupation Still at school
From Aberdeen, Scotland
Member since Fri 24 Nov 06

Pasta Flour???

i have been looking everywhere for pasta flour, but noone has ever heard of it.  i read jamies book and i wanted to try it.  does anyone know where to buy it???  i have tried sainburys...

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 21 Mar 07 7:11pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Re: Pasta Flour???

Are you talking about semolina?  If you can't find it, you can make very good pasta with reg flour (or 00 flour if you can get it)  and eggs.
I use a couple of eggs to one cup of flour and stir it in mixing well and adding a bit more flour if needed.  (You don't want to get it too dry)
Then knead for about 10 minutes, cover with a bowl and let rest for 15 min. and roll it out or use the rollers on a pasta machine.
Eddie

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 22 Mar 07 10:25pm

Lew1592

From Aberdeen, Scotland

Yea, sounds really good.  I tried with reg flour, but it turned out well very white and not so great tasting.  I was reading a book of Jaime's when i discovered it and so it said to use Tippo 00.  As i mentioned i tried everywhere but no-one had heard of it.  Maybe i should just get hold of Jamie and order it from him. 

Thanks anyway, i'll try that asap. smile

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 23 Mar 07 5:09am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Sainsburys stok two pasta flous, DovesFarm Organjc, and Spandoni tipo 00.

Most good quality fine cake flours will work - I've even done it with brown bread flour! And the colour comes from the egg yolks, not the flour.

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 23 Mar 07 2:56pm

Chanr

Forum champ
From Melbourne
Member since Mon 14 Mar 05

I've tried making pasta from a packet of gluten free flour lying in the cupboard and it turned out fine. I find that regular flour works just fine for me for making pasta dough. As for flavouring and colouring, you could add a bit vegetable puree (of spinach for example) to the dough.

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 23 Mar 07 3:55pm

Grabar

Occupation Student.....wanna start a career as a chef!....don't know how to!
From Seacoast Croatia
Member since Thu 15 Mar 07

Hello.......for the pasta flour thing......you are free to use normal flour because it is similar to the pasta flour.....the most important thing for a good pasta dough are eggs......fresh good home-grown eggs......their yolks are much bigger and their color is more like dark yellow so the pasta becomes beautiful too see and it tastes good because the eggs have a fantastic taste.....but try not to put too many eggs because the pasta becomes too hard then..... thumbsup ....cya

Last edited by Grabar (Fri 23 Mar 07 3:57pm)

The quality of the food you consume is directly proportional to the quality of life you have!
    Likes (0)

#7 Fri 23 Mar 07 5:19pm

sweetie-pie

From England
Member since Sun 01 Jan 06

I buy 00 flour in Tesco or Waitrose - if your local store doesn't have it, then request it. I've requested things a couple of times at Tesco and they usually get them in smile

SP

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 26 Mar 07 12:28am

Lew1592

From Aberdeen, Scotland

i like the sound of that tesco, i will try that at the weekend

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 15 Apr 09 5:06pm

tomstone514

Member since Thu 22 Jan 09

i buy all my 00 flour from www.theitaliandeli.co.uk and i also buy my semolina flour from there. The reason i buy from them is that no-one else sells genuine Italian 00 flour and delivers next day. They sell Barilla (italys number one brand) for only 99p which is a steal especially as it is nearly 1 pound to a euro. I can not recommend them enough.

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 15 Apr 09 5:30pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

If you can find it mix to 0 flour some durum (farina di grano duro) flour, start from eggs and according to their size you can add flour, some olive oil  (1 or 2 tbsp) a little salt and a squeeze of lemon. Let it rest covered or wrapped in film for 1/2 an hour then stretch it with rollpin or pasta machine patting it always on durum wheat flour so it doesn't stick

good luck

big_smile

Likes (0)