forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 22 Mar 07 9:25pm

graham1281

Member since Thu 22 Mar 07

Runny sauce problems

HI
   I enjoy cooking, but gourmet standards by any means. Here's my problem.
  I've been trying to do a fish & potato pie, with a rich creamy cheese & ham sauce. The sauce always ends up runny even though it's smooth & thick when I pour it over the fish.
Now I've always left the fish raw, ( usually cod ) and let the sauce cool before before I pour it over the fish. I also use cold mashed potatoes for the topping. Where am I going wrong ? oops
Basically I've the same problem with any pie I try with a cheese sauce.
Thanks in advane for any help.

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 22 Mar 07 9:57pm

jaygirl

Member since Tue 06 Mar 07

Re: Runny sauce problems

I found this, but also found if after making the cheese sauce I added a teasp of cornflour slaked in water to the sauce, it sems to stabilise it, hope this helps.

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 22 Mar 07 10:15pm

graham1281

Many thanks, I'll certainly try that the next time

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 23 Mar 07 4:42am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Try poaching the fish gently in a little milk, with a few of black peppercorns and a bay leaf. poach it until it just flakes. Use the milk as the basis for your sauce. I usually use a mix of smoked and unsmoked fish for the extra flavour.

Make the sauce by first creating a roux with butter and flour, then adding the milk, and cooking it out to a thick consistency. Take sauce from heat, then stir in cream (if using), and finely grated cheese. Finally, add the ham, chopped of course. Check and adjust seasoning.

Pour over fish, then top with your mashed potatoes (add cream and/or butter to tatties as you mash them, and don't mash too much - you want a bit of texture. You can also add grated cheese to the mash, and maybe a little wholegrain mustard or a handful of chives (or the finely chopped green tops of spring onions.

Rough up the top with a fork, dot with butter, and into the preheated oven to brown the top and finish cooking.

You don't need to assemble the pie cold, unless you are preparing it ahead of time to keep in the fridge and cook later. It really does work best assembling it hot as you go along.

Hmmmm  - I think I may make this tonight smile

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 23 Mar 07 9:29am

graham1281

Thanks Geoff, it sounds like this might just help big_smile

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 23 Mar 07 6:00pm

ellboy

From ell's kitchen
Member since Mon 11 Apr 05

the fish will release juices as it cooks so either cook it first or try salting for 2 or 3 hours this will draw off some of the liquid and may help solve your problem.

alternatively: cook the fish, coat with the sauce, brown under a grill and serve with the mash on the side.

el.

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 23 Mar 07 6:49pm

graham1281

If it doesn't work after all this advice, I'll buy ready made ones  lol  lol

Likes (0)