forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 20 Mar 07 8:56am

En

Occupation Educator
From Maldives
Member since Tue 20 Mar 07

Packed lunches?

I can never seem to think very creatively when preparing packed lunches for my children to take to school, or for me to take to work. I always end up making various kinds of sandwiches. Any ideas anyone?

En

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 20 Mar 07 9:07am

little Patty

Member since Wed 10 Jan 07

Re: Packed lunches?

sushi rolls, pita bread, savoury muffins (with cheese and veggies inside), focaccia and pizza (good even cold), Japanese rice balls, vegetable sticks with dips, dried fruit and nuts mix, cheese and biscuits with grapes, pasta salad with a little fork, baby vegetables (cherry tomatoes, baby carrots and so on), corn on the cob (good even cold), savoury pies and pasties, samosas, green or potato salad (with a fork)...the important thing is variety, they say children don't eat enough veggies, and only a few types.

hope it helps  smile

little Patty

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 20 Mar 07 10:58am

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Try this thread - it's got some great ideas:

http://forum.jamieoliver.com/viewtopic. … 22#p194622

thumbsup

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 20 Mar 07 2:44pm

Pasty Muncher

Occupation Gastrologist
From Kernow
Member since Tue 27 Feb 07

Avacado - make sure they don't eat skin or stone!

And of course, how could I forget? Cornish Pasty!

Munchtastic

Last edited by Pasty Muncher (Tue 20 Mar 07 2:51pm)

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 22 Mar 07 12:33am

oldthreetoes

Occupation Music Journalist/Writer and editor
From Vancouver, Canada
Member since Wed 21 Mar 07

My daughter is a huge fan of warm ups of the previous nights dinner....She is a fan of pastas, and salads in her lunches...and she is 5 almost 6....

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 22 Mar 07 12:54pm

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

My kids both love cold roast chicken in their lunch boxes, Nakita takes the wings & Clayton takes a drumstick..

A thing that is a fave for Nakita is to take bits & peices of salad stuff with bread & butter & build her own sandwich.

Im looking for a small thermos (I want something short & fat) for Nakita to take pasta or soups for lunch.

Nakita also likes antipasto mixed in her lunchbox... olives, sundried tomato, cheese etc

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 22 Mar 07 8:07pm

ellboy

From ell's kitchen
Member since Mon 11 Apr 05

i like to try and mix it up a bit and include some bread, meat, fruit n veg etc.

wraps are great for kids, just pop some ham and salad into a tortilla and roll it, they dont need cooking but they are nice toasted on both sides in a dry pan.

my daughter loves mini-croissants we slice them open and fill with ham and philadelfia cheese.

also those little pick n mix cheeses are a great addition, its kind of a healthy alternative to a chocolate bar, try a different one every day till you get to know their favourites, also a good way for the kids to learn about different cheese.

i always include fruit, either a mandarine, a pear or break a small bunch off some grapes but try to leave em on the stalk its more of a novelty. same with cherry tomatoes.

i have great fun experimenting with little gimmicks for the kids lunchbox, my wife actually puts it together but i do the shopping and enjoy hunting round the supermarket for original and healthy ideas. i never ever put sweets, chocolates or crisps in a pack lunch and since our peadiatrician advised us against overdoing the fruit juice we only ever give them a bottle of water (they like the ones with the pull up nozzle) or a small carton of milk (it was good enough when i was at school!)

i dont think a little treat hurts now and again, a home-made muffin or fairy cake or something similar, my daughter loves to cook cakes at home so we let her take a sample with her to school.

have fun.

el.

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 23 Mar 07 4:14am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

For recess Nakita loves carrot sticks with a dip made from low fat plain yogurt mixed with a little french onion soup mix... I bought lunch boxes for her that have 2 small sections & a larger one meant for a sandwich.

Cherry toms also a big hit.

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 23 Mar 07 10:06am

Sereh

Occupation mothering my toddler
From The Netherlands
Member since Thu 20 Jan 05

You could make obento boxes: Japanese lunchboxes with different small yummy foodies. Check this link by a lady who makes her daugther a daily obento: http://www.fotolog.com/minmin
Or buy one of those cute(!) East Indian lunchboxes, and fill them with some salad, pita bread, raita and leftover curry.
Or you can make wraps in any style: grilled chicken with mango chutney and salad, or refried beans with grilled (jalapeno) peppers, or stuffed with pieces of leftover roast, creme fraiche and hot sauce?

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 23 Mar 07 1:03pm

Senga B

Occupation Taxi driver, nurse,cook, cleaner-in other words MUM
From Malta
Member since Wed 14 Mar 07

You could try making savoury muffins.  I just came across some lovely recipes.  If you want them I'll send them on.

Likes (0)