forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 24 Mar 07 3:27pm

beckybloo

Occupation student
From Italy
Member since Sat 24 Mar 07

Microwave kitchen!!!

Boys and girls I need help help !my mother presented me a microwave oven: has anyone good recipes for this kind of oven? italian kisses to all of you!!!
bck

ps
thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 25 Mar 07 9:40am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Microwave kitchen!!!

I am not good at microwave cooking and in our house the microwave seems to be used for quick heating of things like a single bowl of soup.
Or Heating milk.(I hate cleaning the saucepan after it has been used for heating milk!).

I do use the microwave to heat chocolate..but it has to be checked and stired every 5 seconds as it melts so quickly. Over the years I have got the melting of chocolate down to a fine art!

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 25 Mar 07 10:05am

Senga B

Occupation Taxi driver, nurse,cook, cleaner-in other words MUM
From Malta
Member since Wed 14 Mar 07

Microwave ovens are one kitchen gadget I have never wanted- maybe I'm afraid of them!!  My mum was given one thought and she mainly uses to reheat prepared foods and also if she has left over bread whe wets it a bit and places it in the microwave for a few seconds.  The funny thing is though once it's been left out for about 15mins.,what hasn't been eaten turns rock hard.  I don't know if this happens to other foods.Apparantly this is because the water content keeps on drying.  I did buy her the Australian Microwave cookbook once, and though full of lovely ideas she hasn't had much luck-sorry not making it very attractive for you am I  oops

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 25 Mar 07 10:10am

beckybloo

Occupation student
From Italy

Hi mummza!! Thank you!
Kisses
bck

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 25 Mar 07 10:16am

beckybloo

Occupation student
From Italy

Dear senga b, thank you for your reply...Another person said me the same thing about bread...Yesterday I prepared sausages:they were very good!!! If you want try them!!! Thank you again
kisses
bck big_smile

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 25 Mar 07 7:16pm

indiechef

From London
Member since Sun 11 Dec 05

there great for defrosting something frozen quickly

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 25 Mar 07 8:00pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

I use mine (a combi-convection one) for re-heating leftovers, defrosting and making bechamel (easier than cleaning the pot(s).

The combi-convection part is great- cooks a leg of lamb in less than 75% of time in a regular oven.

It is also "an oven" so gives me a second oven for high, Holy days when I need extra space or to cook at widely different temps.

Pity it doesn't accommodate the business' trays.

Maree

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#8 Mon 26 Mar 07 7:07am

oregonkimmy

Occupation student nurse
From Melbourne

Hey Beckybloo smile

Back in the day when I lived in this tiny tiny studio, I had no kitchen.  I cooked everything in the microwave!  (Poor me!)  But if need be your micro can be a handy tool.  You can cook bacon on a plate in between two paper towels and poach eggs in a little plastic container with water in it.  Prolly sounds wretched to all the chefs in here, but if it's all you've got, you've got to work it!

Ciao!
Kimmy

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 26 Mar 07 8:11am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

I use mine mainly for defrosting or re-heating, but there are some things that can b cooked successfly.

When baking potatos in a hurry, i give them a three minute blast in the microwave before baking for 30 mins in oven.

Poppadoms can be done by brushing with oil, then cooking in microwave in pairs, covered with a paper towel for just 40 seconds.

Porridge - 2oz oats, 1/2 pint milk. 2 mins on high stir, 2 more mins on high. Serves 1.

Frozen peas/beans/sweetcorn. Place in abowl with 1 tbs water. Cover and cook on high for 3 mins,

Red wine! If I have forgotten to "Chambre" the wine, 40 secs on high bring it to room temperature from cellar temp.

Plate warming! Put stack of plates, with a little water inbetween each, and give them 2 to 3 mins on high.

Apart from these, I've tried many other recipes, but the only successful ones have been things which involve lots of liquid.

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 26 Mar 07 9:26am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Microwave mushroom risotto

INGREDIENTS

40g butter
1 medium (150g) brown onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 cups (400g) arborio rice
250g button mushrooms, quartered
250g Swiss brown mushrooms, halved
½ cup (125ml) dry white wine
2 cups (500ml) chicken stock
1¾ cups (430ml) boiling water
2 green onions (green shallots), sliced thinly
¼ cup (20g) finely grated parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

NOTE: This recipe is best made just before serving.

METHOD

Place the butter, onion and garlic in a large microwave-safe bowl; cook on high (100 percent) for 2 minutes or until the onion softens. Add the rice and mushrooms, stir well. Cook, covered, on high for 3 minutes.

Add the wine, cook, uncovered, on high for 2 minutes. Add the stock and water, stir well. Cook, covered, on high for about 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or until the rice is just tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Stir in the green onions, parmesan cheese and oil.

Rosemary and garlic lamb

INGREDIENTS

1.5kg butterflied leg of lamb
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves
¼ cup (60ml) olive oil
½ cup (125ml) lemon juice
2 teaspoons brown sugar

NOTE: Ask your butcher to remove the top layer of fat from the lamb. This recipe is best cooked close to serving.

METHOD

Remove any remaining fat from the lamb. Combine lamb, garlic, rosemary, oil and juice in a large microwave-safe baking dish. Cover, refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight. Remove the lamb from the refrigerator 1 hour before cooking.

Cook lamb, uncovered, on medium-high (70-80 percent) for 14 minutes, turning the lamb over and basting once during the cooking.

Sprinkle half the sugar over the top of the lamb, grill for 2 minutes or until browned. Turn the lamb, sprinkle with the remaining sugar, then grill for a further 2 minutes. Cover, stand the lamb for 10 minutes before slicing.

Chicken and leeks with hollandaise

INGREDIENTS

1 large (500g) leek
2 cups (250ml) boiling water
4 (680g) chicken breast fillets
2 (300g) celery sticks, chopped coarsely
1 clove garlic, crushed
¼ cup (60ml) dry white wine
¼ cup (60ml) chicken stock
1 bunch baby carrots, trimmed and peeled
¼ cup (60ml) water, extra
1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
125g baby green beans, trimmed

Microwave hollandaise
150g butter, chopped
2 egg yolks
1½ tablespoons water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
salt and pepper

NOTE: Though this recipe is best made close to serving, the microwave is ideal for reheating and the chicken is also delicious cold.

METHOD

For the microwave hollandaise, melt the butter in a microwave-safe jug on high (100 percent) for 1 minute. Whisk the egg yolks, water and juice in a small microwave-safe bowl. Cook, uncovered, on medium (55 percent) for 1 minute, whisking every 15 seconds or until the egg mixture thickens slightly. Do not allow the mixture to boil. Remove the mixture from the microwave oven. Add the hot melted butter a few drops at a time, whisking constantly until the mixture starts to thicken. Continue to add the butter in a thin stream, whisking constantly, until all the butter is used. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover, stand at room temperature while preparing the chicken and vegetables.

Trim the roots and remove most of the green part of the leek. Split the leek lengthways, being careful not to cut all the way through; wash thoroughly. Peel away four layers of leek and place in a shallow dish, cover with the boiling water and stand for 5 minutes or until leek is soft. Reserve remaining leek for another use.

Drain the leek. Wrap each chicken fillet in one piece of the softened leek.

Place the celery, garlic, wine and stock in a large microwave-safe dish. Place the chicken on top in a single layer with the thicker part of the fillet facing towards the edge of the dish. Cover the dish with plastic wrap, then cook on medium (55 percent) for 10 minutes. Stand, covered, for 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, place the carrots in a microwave-safe dish with the extra water; then cover. Cook on high (100 percent) 2 minutes. Add the asparagus and beans to the same dish; cover, cook on high (100 percent) for a further 3 minutes or until the carrots are done as desired. Stand, covered, for 1 minute.

Serve the chicken sliced with the microwave hollandaise and vegetables.

Likes (0)