forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Sun 10 Oct 04 5:23am

foietruffledisiac

Forum champ
Member since Wed 07 Jul 04

Re: Foodology

Hi LadyRed,
If you ever get a chance to try the Pozole , let me know how it turned out.
Things in Miami are good. We are just starting the beginning of high season (our busy part of the year). Things are picking up at a quick and even pace. Keeping busy. Hurricane season is over at the end of this month (October). We are all looking forward to that!! This year has been really "active" with the hurricanes.
Deep autum in Vienna. That sounds lovely. I miss the changing of the seasons here in Miami (the tropics). Here in Miami, it's pretty much hot and humid throughout the year, except for the months of Nov-Mar, where we get what people call paradise weather (temperatures between 60's-70's, more or less. I do miss the cold sometimes, wearing hoodies, warm ups, sweaters, jackets......
Yes, foie is expensive, for special occasions or when you want "treat" yourself. I work at a place that brings it fairly regularly, and it's amazing the twists we come up with.....whether it's horsdeouvres, apps., entrees, dessert, etc. I enjoy working with it. big_smile
The blue potaotes have a bit of a starchy taste, but really good. I enjoy then sauteed, after being blanched with shallots, garlic, soft herbs, deglaze with a bit of either rice wine vinegar or dry white wine (to give them a bit of a kick), then finish with good butter, and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. mmmmmmmmm...
Take care LadyRed.

Kind Regards,
Mary In Miami

Likes (0)

#22 Sun 10 Oct 04 9:01am

Stefanie

Forum champ
From Flashing my gold
Member since Fri 09 Jul 04

Hi LadyRed...here's a great Malay dish you have to try...it's a meal in itself,very yummy and flavourful indeed...it's called Mee Soto,a common dish you can find in Singapore hawker centres

YOU NEED:
A 1.5kg chicken
6cups cold water
600gm fresh thick egg noodles
300gm beansprouts,tails removed
Grind in a blender: 1.5 tbsp toasted coriander seeds,1 tsp toasted cumin seeds,1 tsp toasted fennel seeds,1 stalk sliced lemon grass (use lower end only),1 thick slice peeled ginger,4 candlenuts, 8-10 shallots and 1tsp toasted whitepepper corns.
Garnish: chopped spring onion and coriander, potato cutlets (boil and mash potato,season with pepper,salt,beaten egg, chopped coriander and finely chopped garlic, form cutlets with wet hands, deep fry in hot oil till golden and crisp,drain well).
Dipping Sauce: sliced chillies mixed in lime juice,sugar and thick dark soy sauce

HOW:
Put whole chicken,ground spice paste,water and some salt in a large pot, boil for 90-120 minutes till chicken is cooked.
Remove chicken,shred meat to use in soup,keep bones in freezer for boiling soup again.
Check seasoning in stock,set aside.
Cook noodles and scald beansprouts in hot water.
Put noodles in a bowl, sprinkle beansprouts and shredded chicken over. Add hot stock over,top with potato cutlet and garnishing,serve with dipping sauce.
Hope you like it.

Likes (0)

#23 Sun 10 Oct 04 9:02am

Stefanie

Forum champ
From Flashing my gold
Member since Fri 09 Jul 04

Oh shoot...that was supposed to be for the Asian food topic! I opened so many windows and confused myself...oh well... oops

Likes (0)

#24 Sat 16 Oct 04 9:22am

foietruffledisiac

Forum champ

This recipe for curing foie is relatively simple. The taste is gorgeous; you'll get a sweet and savoury effect.

Take about a 3-4 pound piece of foie gras and remove the main vein. With a pair of tweezers try removing the rest of the impurities, small veins throught (as many as you possibly can). Let foie stand at room temperature until it becomes pliable.
You will roll foie gras into small cylinder type logs with your hands. Either break pieces with hands or cut with a knife. Make sure that the logs are fairly even in size. Each log will be placed on pieces of cheese cloth / muslin and rolled up tightly. Make sure you tie each end with a string. You should get about 6-7 logs, more or less.
In a deep pan place the foie gras logs next to each other and on top. Cover with Grand Marnier liquor (cover completely, making sure that none of the foie gras rolls are exposed). Place in the refrigerator and leave for at least 1 whole day or 2.

2.5 pounds kosher salt
2.5 pounds brown sugar
1 cup orange zest
1 cup grapefruit zest
3/4 lemon zest
3/4 lime zest
2 cups fresh coarsely cracked black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Make sure that you have a couple of deep pans available. Remove the logs of foie from the Grand Marnier container (the reason these rolls have to be "tight", is so they can hold their shape) and set on a sheet pan. Take a little bit of the Grand Marnier that the foie was soaking in and put it the bowl with the rest of the curing ingredients. You want just enough to make it moist.....not too much. Place some of this mixture on the bottoms of the deep pans. Place the logs of foie gras on top of the mixture, side by side, just flat (none on top). After you have accomodated the foie logs, pack the rest of the mixture on top of the rolls. Press down gently making sure that all of the logs are completely covered. You want to cure these for 3-4 days. On the second day, take the pans out , rotate the foie logs, and cover again with mixture. Leave in fridge until 3rd or 4th day.
Remove all curing mixture from around the foie logs. The smell of it will be beautiful (the citrus zest and Grand Marnier). Remove muslin with sharp paring knife, carefully, as to maintain the cylinder shape. Slice very thinly. You'll immediately see the curing process (the darker outer edges), with a beautful pink inside. Put this on a butter fried crouton , toast point..................oh my goodness, delicious.....hard to describe. You'll just have to try it. Enjoy!

Likes (0)

#25 Mon 18 Oct 04 1:38pm

food is sex.com

From Denmark
Member since Fri 15 Oct 04

Dont ever put risotto in a mickywave r u mad r just need to go to college?? evil

Likes (0)

#26 Tue 19 Oct 04 4:21am

foietruffledisiac

Forum champ

If you like sweet breads, this is a cool little suggestion I tried the other day. It's simple, but really tastey. big_smile If you like the way it sounds let me know and I'll give you the full recipe.

Fried Veal Sweet Breads with Tomato - Herb Mayo, Micro Greens, and Pickled Red Onion

Take care!

Likes (0)

#27 Tue 19 Oct 04 3:40pm

LadyRed

Forum champ
From Vienna, Austria
Member since Wed 18 Aug 04

Hi Mary,

thanks for the suggestion, but sweetbreads is not really one of my favourits (and that's only putting it nicely ;-) I had them only once and didn't like them at all, no idea if they were prepared incorrectly but it put me off nontheless...

How are things going in Miami?

ciao + cu ;-)
Claudia

Likes (0)

#28 Tue 19 Oct 04 7:17pm

foietruffledisiac

Forum champ

No worries. It doesn't hurt to ask. I didn't know too much about them until a good friend of my Parent's from Mexico , made them on the BBQ. He had a special way of BBQing them. Everyone raved. I wanted to see what all the comotion was about, so I tried them, and indeed they were good. I asked him to show mw step by step on how to prepare them (clean them, etc..)............and that was that....
Everything is great here in Miami. Hope everything is smooth in Vienna. Take care!

Ciao, Ciao
Mary big_smile

Likes (0)

#29 Tue 19 Oct 04 8:47pm

lisab1229

From North Canton, Ohio
Member since Mon 18 Oct 04

Willow....do you have the recipe for the lemon and thyme risotto dish that you mentioned on page 1 of this thread?  Thanks!

smile

Likes (0)

#30 Tue 26 Oct 04 10:26am

LadyRed

Forum champ
From Vienna, Austria
Member since Wed 18 Aug 04

I think I just died and went straight to heaven **big smile**

Well no, actually we had the grilled beef tenderloin with foie-butter sauce and some truffeled potato gratin and harricoverts (sp?). But the result was as near heaven as possible ;-) And as it was your recipe I looked in the celler for a wine from USA and found a great Beringer 1992, Meritage which went great with it.

Thanks again for sharing the recipe (BTW just changed the sauce a bit --> deglased with cognac)

hope everything is well in Miami!

Claudia

Likes (0)