forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 02 Apr 07 11:39am

Georgie

From Jamie's office
Member since Thu 06 Jul 06

Easter and Lent...

Hey everyone!

Just thought i'd keep a little on line diary of my 'pre-Easter' eating  shocked It may just kill me!

So, bascially, in the Greek Orthodox church you are ment to give up everything and anything that has come from an animal during lent (for some reason this is longer than regular lent). But because of my job i have not been able to do this.

So i am doing it for the last week!!  help

The good news is my grandma has asked me to cook Easter lunch for 12 on Sunday!! big_smile this is a BIG stuff! as Easter is massive for Greek people, much bigger than Christmas, and I cant wait!

So... any tips or ideas massively appreciated! also, im not eating gluten at the mo, to help my pregnant boss with her pregnancy, so i think this will be a week of carrot sticks  sad

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!

Georgie
x

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 02 Apr 07 11:56am

amberpamba

Forum champ
Occupation Registered nurse
From Australia
Member since Thu 24 Jun 04

Re: Easter and Lent...

Just wondering what does lent mean?

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 02 Apr 07 12:01pm

Georgie

From Jamie's office

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 02 Apr 07 12:34pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Georgie, I'm Russian Orthodox and the worst bit is my grandmother now lives in Australia, so I'm being deprived of an Easter feast!  What are you going to cook?

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 02 Apr 07 1:00pm

Georgie

From Jamie's office

Ahh!!! So you understand the enormity of it  smile  you should come join us!! i warn you now, my family are mental.. so loud (im as qiuet as a mouse you see  tongue )

so, i am thinking, overnight slow roasted lamb shoulder, with bay and red wine and shallots etc... and for the fish eaters, skate wings with baby leeks and crushed garlic and thyme oil.
and then a gratin dauphinoise, braised spring vegetables (peas, beans, asparagus) and a lovely green herby salad. lots of fresh village bread and home made greek dips!

and then for pud i am doing a lemon meringue layer cake (chewy and lemony and creamy)

i am so hungry!

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 02 Apr 07 1:53pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland

Oh wow, that sounds like a brilliant meal.  I'm going to my boyfriend's family home on Thursday for the Easter weekend, that should be raucous enough!  Still, I'll miss the food, like pascha (I have no idea how to spell that) and little silly things such as colouring eggs with my little sister... bless.  Do you have any Easter traditions, food-wise?

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 02 Apr 07 2:47pm

Georgie

From Jamie's office

we colour the eggs too! and then play a game with them on easter sunday (you hit them and the winner is the one whose eggs is unbroken). Do you do that too?

we also go to church on saturday night at midnight, and then go home at 2am and eat a traditional egg lemon soup called avgolemoni. Also, the week before we make flaounes (bread rolls filled with a special cheese only made at easter)

phew!

sounds like you'll have a fun easter weekend though! will it be traditional english fare?

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 02 Apr 07 2:56pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland

Absolutely!  I had a champion egg a few years ago, solid as a rock.  Internaitonal competition standard, that one.

Yes, probably traditional English, as various elderly family members are somewhat less than adventurous. 

How are the carrot sticks?   wink

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 02 Apr 07 2:58pm

Georgie

From Jamie's office

Today so far:

Hot water and lemon,
gluten free cereal bar and blueberries

grapes

Homemade sweet potato soup, slice of rye bread and handful of soya beans

im getting there... i really would love a glass of wine though!

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 02 Apr 07 3:03pm

Georgie

From Jamie's office

haha!!! go you!!

did you varnish it  first?? i love that trick....

dont, i am craving chocolate!!

Likes (0)