Subscribe to forums RSS

#41 Fri 06 Apr 07 5:34pm

Stefanie

Forum champ
From Flashing my gold
Member since Fri 09 Jul 04

Re: Easter and Lent...

That's the one!!
I did it last year,the taste was phenomenal but it was annoying to cut cos it kept falling apart!
So I got fed up and decided to solve the problem by baking individual ones. Be careful though,not to fill the cases to the top because it will spill over. Just about 2/3 full is good.

Baking time is about 20 minutes for me in a 190C oven. Did not dare to bake it at 200C as I was afraid it would burn on top before cooking inside. I used Marks and Spencers Organic choccie eggs to decorate this year...wicked!
Good with some creme fraiche stirred thru with lemon/orange zest to cut the sweet richness.

Last edited by Stefanie (Fri 06 Apr 07 5:38pm)

Likes (0)

#42 Sat 07 Apr 07 2:07pm

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Oohh Stef, that sounds good.

Did you try the Lindt limited edition intense lemon dark choc when it was out last year? I love the orange one too.

Im not a milk choc fan, even a small amount can make me feel off.

Like tonight I ate four squares of hazelnut milk choc block (accidently of course) while I was grating it to make a ganache type icing for that easy peasy Easter cake I mentioned earlier today. Im not feeling great right now let me tell you.

Hey Stef, about the creme fraiche, whats a good sub. Its not readily available here. A company make a thing called "Fruche", its a fruit flavoured creme fraiche, but nobody has any plain stuff.

Likes (0)

#43 Sat 07 Apr 07 2:33pm

Georgie

From Jamie's office
Member since Thu 06 Jul 06

oooh, that sounds yum! Gosh, i cant wait now, i am so excited! i spent all morning at my nans making greek pastries and bread and dying eggs, its great!!

got my lamb, am very excited, just going to have a nap (i stupidly went out last night!) then carry on this afternoon with my lemon meringue cake, making the lemon curd and marinating the lamb, hurrah!

am taking lots of pics to show you all too  big_smile

Likes (0)

#44 Sat 07 Apr 07 4:11pm

Stefanie

Forum champ
From Flashing my gold

Belle,I suppose you could use sour cream...or if all else fails,some softened cream cheese which you have beaten a bit with a whisk to smoothen out.
No,didn't get to try the Lindt lemon choc,I tell you what,it sounds interesting!
Mmmm..hazelnut and choccies,another match made in heaven.

Georgie...sending you some good joo-joo for that feast though I know you will come thru...looking forward to those pics!
How do you make your lemon curd?
I never try those recipes that include direct heat,I do mine in a double boiler and whisk like fury...but I get good curd in 15 minutes...  big_smile

Likes (0)

#45 Sat 07 Apr 07 10:45pm

Georgie

From Jamie's office
Member since Thu 06 Jul 06

whoah, thanks Steph! thats so lovely!! ill def post pics... ive been a phot frenzy! (my poor grandpa is 83 and doesnt have a clue why i keep taking photos of random things like boiling eggs... very confusing!)

for lemon curd i do the same, whisk the lemon zest, juice, eggs and place in bain marie with butter and sugar and just keep stirring till thick and glossy...

yumyum! i like lime and passionfruit curd too.. amde grapefruit once, that was tricky as we had to make up the recipe and the quantities vary but was delicious! wish i could still remember it  sad

Likes (0)

#46 Sun 08 Apr 07 6:14am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

Georgie I thought I was the only one who made lime curd. They are in season right now so I can get a bag of them for about $2.50 - $3.00 (£1-£1.30). I just make a small jar as a little bit goes a long way. i used to make this amazing lemon feather cake using potato flour etc and substitute lime for the lemon. It tasted awesome.

I hope you are having a great time cooking and feasting.

Likes (0)

#47 Sun 08 Apr 07 11:58am

Stefanie

Forum champ
From Flashing my gold

I try Georgie,but my photog skills stink...  whistle
Never mind,I'll just cook and let my sister do the photo taking!

Lime curd,I have made. But not grapefruit!
Interesting...the only conserve vaguely grapefruity is Nigella's grapefruit marmalade...I tried that and it was pretty good!!
This curd recipe looks decent enough though!
http://www.hawkesburyharvest.com.au/recipes.asp?ID=18

Likes (0)

#48 Sun 08 Apr 07 11:58am

Alex G

Forum champ
Occupation Student/Commis chef
From Brighton/ Bournemouth
Member since Sat 29 Oct 05

**** georgie, good luck with that. There's a market on monday which my mum goes to, to buy a lot of meat that is sold at wholesale type prices. Don't think i'll be able to do that with a load of beef in the freezer!

Likes (0)

#49 Mon 25 Mar 13 5:52pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

well I have searched out this thread as Easter is this week .

My plan for Easter Sunday is to cook the usual leg of lamb , slow roasted .
A selection of fresh seasonal vegetables and roasted potatoes.
(This year I might also roast a chicken also as then it will be there to make sandwiches in the evening ),

For desert I a thinking that floating Islands  (or îles flottantes) might be nice as this can be prepared in advance and put into the fridge to chill.

I have not yet decided upon a starter but I am thinking along the lines of something light .

Also I am planning a cheese board of Welsh Cheeses.

What are you planning to cook this weekend ?

Last edited by mummza (Mon 25 Mar 13 5:52pm)

Likes (0)

#50 Mon 25 Mar 13 6:53pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

We'll be sticking to fish on Good Friday - probably kedgeree for breakfast, with a smoked salmon pate and salad for lunch, and fish pie or smoked haddock for supper.  Back to normal food on Easter Saturday, and on Easter Sunday we'll have a huge leg of local lamb for lunch, with roast potatoes and seasonal vegetables, and probably a chocolate mousse for pudding.  Supper will be something simple and salad-like, I expect!!

Likes (0)