forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 15 Apr 07 10:39am

Pukka Kata

Member since Sun 15 Apr 07

Big Do

Can anybody help?

We have a stunning tent sorted for later in the year, for a party in a field.

There are going to be 350+ people turning up to celebrate our wedding.
We will have to provide our own source of electric power / gas.

How do we feed them all - Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Love

Pukka Kata

X X X help

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 15 Apr 07 12:08pm

Rofon

From Wodonga - Australia
Member since Tue 21 Feb 06

Re: Big Do

Are you looking at catering this event yourself Pukka?  Thats a big ask

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 15 Apr 07 12:15pm

Pukka Kata

Thanks for your response Rofon.

Yep we are going to try.

It is beginning to look a bit daunting though.

Another fine mess I have got myself into.

Do you think I have bitten off more than I can chew? - pardon the pun.

All the best

pukka

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 15 Apr 07 12:34pm

Stefanie

Forum champ
From Flashing my gold
Member since Fri 09 Jul 04

Pukka Kata,that sounds quite daunting...do you have any experience catering to large crowds? Otherwise you might have a problem...
This seems to offer practical solutions...

http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/sit … 4&y=10

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 15 Apr 07 1:07pm

Pukka Kata

Thanks Stephanie that site is very useful for me.

I haven't got experience of catering for a large group so was thinking about keeping the food simple but with a splash of style somehow. thumbsup

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 15 Apr 07 9:34pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Depends how much you have to spend!

I would guess that the cheapest way to do it is to start off with a Grande Brassucade followed by an Ox or Pig Roast.

For the Brassucade, you will need a 6 x 6 ft sheet of steel, enclosed on three sides with 6 inch "wall" welded on, and supported by 12 inch high legs. You will also need a couple of clean shovels, and a large rake. Start a large wood fire, at least 6 ft square, and place the sheet of steel on top.

For 350 people, you will need about 400 lbs of shell on mussels, 200 cloves of garlic, 25 litres olive oil, 25 litres wine, 25 bunches of parsley, and three cooks!

Chop the garlic & parsley, put the mussels in dustbin sized containers, and have the wine and olive oil ready to pour in 1 litre jugs. Fire up the brassucade, and when you have a good hot bed of coals, put the sheet of steel over the top. pour on enough oil to wet the surface, the tip on the first dustbin of moules. Keep shoveling the moules around, and, as soon as they start to open, tip on olive oil, garlic, parsley and wine.

Cook, shovelling the mussels around constantly, for about 10 mins (all the mussels should be open) - shovel off into serving bowls, and serve.

Ox Roast - hmm, this will take a bit of explanation! - let me know if you are interested!

Last edited by GeoffP (Mon 16 Apr 07 5:17pm)

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 16 Apr 07 11:45am

Rofon

From Wodonga - Australia
Member since Tue 21 Feb 06

I think I have the solution for you Pukka.  Contact Fifteen to You and have it catered for.  That will stop you from stressing.

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 16 Apr 07 7:40pm

Pukka Kata

Geoffp that sounds brilliant, like something in a Spanish or French seaside town, It is on my option list - Where would I begin to start preparing a hog roast. What would you estimate the cost to be for both?

Regarding the budget - We are hiring some PAPA KATA's like Jamie used at his 31st Birthday, just couldn't resist, when we saw them. The problem is that they have taken the majority of our funds and left us in a bit of a pickle. The idea is to have a massive 'campathon' with everybody mucking in but we feel obliged to provide reasonable food for our friends whilst keeping a tight rein on the cost. Dilemna Dilemna - Rofon is right, I am getting mega stressed.

It is all my own fault because on impulse I proposed to my girlfriend at my graduation ceremony in front of 2,000 people. We have been together for 16 years, you would think that I should know better at 47 years but  now I am feeling the strain of trying to match my wife to be expectation for the wedding do with the proposal.

Excuse me while I go and have a serious word with myself.  yawn Sorry for rambling on.

Back to the food!

Rofon - That really does sound like a great idea - do you think that they may be interested in helping somebody who they haven't even met before?
How would I contact them to enquire?

Many many thanks for all of your interest and time in responding.

Love

Pukka Kata

X

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 16 Apr 07 8:26pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Pukka Kata, there is so much to do organising a wedding without doing the catering yourself.

I helped a friend organise a wedding party for her son and new daughter in law last year. The wedding had been held abroad and the party a couple of months later was to celebrate the wedding here in the uk.

We bought 200 plates and bowls from Ikea.. at the moment they have some that are around 20p ! (very very cheap!)
Glasses came as a free hire with buying the wine.

The tables looked realy pretty , each had a white table cloth and  were set with a a few simple flowers and grasses from the garden in a low onion shapped glass vase.
Bottles of wine and both still and sparkling water.and glasses.
Little mirror trays of sugared almonds and of chocolates.
Little candles in glass pots that matched the mirror trays.
Pretty little confetti 'sprinkles'.
little pots of blowing bubbles.

Cutlery was all beautifully wrapped in a white servietes and each 'parcel' of cutlery was tied with a bow of 2 types delicate  organza ribbons. These I have to say looked realy delightfull.

A combination of family and outside caterers provided a cold buffet,

There was a band , a dance group, and much fun.

You must not forget , as my friend did  lol  people to wait on the tables, and to fuss over the guests needs.

Apart from the 'top table' people could sit where they wished, this led to a reaxed atmosphere as people would move around the tables a fair amount ! . a sit with whom they wanted to chat to.
(Table arrangements are always such a political headake , when I got marrid almost 24 years ago I decided after struggling with table arrengements for weeks that the way to go was only to name places on the top table and it works !!)

Seriously its a huge amount of work.. get other people to do the food and you  concentrate  just on getting married and enjoying the day !

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 16 Apr 07 8:42pm

Pukka Kata

Mummza,
Thank you for your advice.

I hadn't even thought about the plates, that sounds silly but it indicates my mixed state of mind. I will check out your 'Ikea idea' a good tip from the top and I like the ribbons around the cutlery bet they look fab.

Thanks again Mummza

Love

Pukka Kata

X

Likes (0)