forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 15 Apr 07 11:48am

shadowau

Occupation Collections, Management
From Orange NSW
Member since Fri 16 Feb 07

Spaghetti question

I am trying to recreate a spaghetti dish I ate years ago in a restaurant but cant get the taste right. I use

Lean mince
Sun dried tomatoes for the paste
Swiss brown mushrooms
Pancetta
Fresh garlic
Basil
Rosemary
Salt and pepper

I use tin tomatoes when i cant get good fresh ones but it just doesn't taste right its not strong enough on the tomato taste. Can anyone suggest how to increase the tomato flavor in this dish.

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 15 Apr 07 2:08pm

Set

Member since Sat 14 Apr 07

Re: Spaghetti question

hmmm, im not sure but this is usually what i do when it comes to tomato sauces...If i feel that the tomato flavor is lacking i would add canned condensed tomato paste just a table spoon or two

just wondering, what kinda sauce r u making? bolognese? (however u spell that :P)
o yesss this is my first post ooooooooooooo! lololol big_smile
great forums big_smile been reading quite alot since i joined  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 16 Apr 07 2:56pm

teatot

From Australia
Member since Wed 11 Apr 07

You could use a semi dried tomato paste along with what you are already using. neutral

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 16 Apr 07 6:29pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I would gently fry off the pancetta first in a seperate pan. I would do this because I think the fat that comes out of the pancetta would be quite salty. I would then discard the fat.

This is what I would do......

I would also add some onions. I would  finely chop the onions and sautee them untill they begin to caramilise and then add the mince to the same pan , keep stirring the mince untill it browns a little ,add the garlic towards the end of this.
I would then add the tomatoes,  (and if it were me ...I would always add red wine to this sort of sauce,!!).
I would also add a little bit of sugar when I add the tomatoes, this will help to enhance the tomaatoe flavour and will not realy affect the flavour of the meat.
I never add mushrooms untill the cooking process is nearing the end, this is because I find that the texture of the mushrooms does not require much cooking.
The basil I would add at the very end just before serving. I would do this because it will then just wilt in the heat of the sauce and it will also keep most of its flavour.
use fresh ground pepper, and salt to season.

I hope this helps, I am a vegetarian but I always cook meat for my family, I have learned to season the meat by the smell alone but occasionally one of my family will act as a taster for me  lol

Last edited by mummza (Mon 16 Apr 07 6:30pm)

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 16 Apr 07 8:11pm

Femurs

Member since Sun 07 Jan 07

i add a hefty squirt of tomato ketchup into my bolognaise sauce - adds the tomatoieness and a little sweet edge too.

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 16 Apr 07 8:27pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Tinned tomatoes are a lot more intense than most tomatoes we get here (not enough sun). Then dried tomatoes are more intense (but often more salty, too). Tomato paste (the condensed stuff) is quite good, too. It thickens the sauce, too. I often add it to the mince when it is still frying, but starting to lose it's pink color. I tickles some of the flavors out I think...

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 16 Apr 07 9:23pm

ellboy

From ell's kitchen
Member since Mon 11 Apr 05

try roasting a whole load of tomatoes in the oven with a good splash of olive oil, when soft pass em thru a sieve and reduce in a saucepan to a thick paste, use this in your recipe instead of tinned with a couple of spoons of sugar if too acidic.

el.

Likes (0)