forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 23 Mar 07 6:49pm

ellboy

From ell's kitchen
Member since Mon 11 Apr 05

wake up mums and dads!!

ive recently watched jamie's school dinners and the thing that stood out for me more than any other was the fact that as well as being fed crap at school most of the kids were getting equally dire food at home and sometimes worse!

a pot noodle for dinner! i had to rewind that bit and play it again.

however, despite blaming the parents its fair to say that both the kids and the parents are targeted by unscrupulous marketing campaigns, fancy packaging and misleading labels. its high time the government stepped in with some serious nutritional legislation and some kind of awareness program to help young parents to better understand the needs of a growing child.

does anyone remember 'clunk-click, even on the shortest trip!' it worked didnt it?

5 portions of fruit and veg a day is the message to put across, and down with junk food, before we turn into a nation of useless uneducated slobs.

el.

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 11 Apr 07 5:16am

Expat Chef

Member since Sun 04 Mar 07

Re: wake up mums and dads!!

There are a lot of influences that contribute to the situation. Marketing is definitely one of those. Here in the US, the food supply is even skewed toward poor choices as a result of government subsidies. It is sad. I have a nine-part post on the topic that discusses all these influences that you might find interesting. It's on my site: http://expatriateskitchen.blogspot.com/ … plete.html

Jamie Oliver's work has been very inspiring. I am grateful he is pursuing this and wish his efforts had more recognition here in the States. We could use his influence as well.

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 11 Apr 07 7:10am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

"clunk click every trip ",must have worked a bit as you remember it !

I remember the slogan..."put a Tigger in your tank"...Esso fuel I think, they used to  give away little tiger tails and other gifts once you had collected enough tokens.

"Go to work on an egg"...

and more recently ..."central Heating for kids"....Ready Brek
I agree that fancy (and often unnessersary packaging) proves attractive to some people and increasing the amount of fruit and veg is a great message, but it is suprising how few people will cook fresh meals , for their familys on a daily basis, time being often given as the reason.

Education I think is the key...school cookery lessons are minimal in most cases and often the child uses readymade ingredients like pasta sauces.

I think that education about eating well and how to cook something should start at an early age in the school system.

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 14 Apr 07 3:37pm

ANN

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Welcome Expat!!  I really like your blog!   smile Wish you lived nearer NC!!

Last edited by ANN (Sat 14 Apr 07 3:42pm)

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 16 Apr 07 3:11pm

strudle

Member since Wed 13 Dec 06

Jamie's work to  encourage better foods at school is fantastic but it is still at home that children get their greatest influence. What and how parents eat is likely to influence how children view food - as a quick refuel on junk or as a social time of day, where the whole family get together.
Also many parents had little 'cooking' education at school and are unable to cook themselves which leads to buying easy options of packet foods.
The government needs to look at cookery education in school - I have recently complained to my childs school governors about the quality of this subject. Most of the lessons the children are told to bring in packet/tinned food inorder to prepare more rubbish.

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 17 Apr 07 4:05pm

Arran

Member since Mon 26 Jun 06

strudle wrote:

Jamie's work to  encourage better foods at school is fantastic but it is still at home that children get their greatest influence. What and how parents eat is likely to influence how children view food - as a quick refuel on junk or as a social time of day, where the whole family get together.
Also many parents had little 'cooking' education at school and are unable to cook themselves which leads to buying easy options of packet foods.

Supermarkets are to blame as well. Many parents are tempted to buy food that is on offer rather than that which is healthy. I have seen middle aged people filling their shopping trolley with cream cakes and chilled meals that they probably wouldn't have bought if they weren't on offer.

The government needs to look at cookery education in school - I have recently complained to my childs school governors about the quality of this subject. Most of the lessons the children are told to bring in packet/tinned food inorder to prepare more rubbish.

Time is a factor. There often isn't enough time in a one hour lesson to prepare a meal from fresh ingredients.

Likes (0)