#11 Mon 16 Apr 07 10:45pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Re: Big Do

Whew - you are in a pickle!

As it happens, the menu I suggested is based on menu's I have enjoyed ar Fetes in the South of France - especialoy tge Fete du Bachus in Bedarieux smile

Traditionally. they recruit the local rugby team to do the brassucade & ox-roast -maybe you coulddo something similar?

The big advantage of going this way is that it provides its own spectacle, anf gives a focus for the feast, while at the same timebeing quite economical.

To feed 350, you will need either 1 whole beef carcase - about 700 lb dressed weight - or 6 whole pigs at around 110 lbs each - you will need to ask around your local butchers / abattoir to find who can supply and the local prices. Make sure your butcher understand you need the carcases whole. Ask also if there is anyone with experience in the area - you may be lucky!

Building the spit and the fires is relatively straightforward - but again, its easier if you can find someone with experience - I learned how with sheep in Greece, how to do pigs from Civil War re-enactors, and ox-roasting from Bosnian refugees!

Buying carcases whole is suprisingly cheap - generally works oyt at around £1-00 to £1-50 per lb (though this includes bones, of course!).

You will need to considsr accompaniments for each course. For tye Brassucade, you can keep this simple with crusty French bread. I would suggest providing a couple of alternatives, such as a Pl\t carcuterie, and salad for veggies.

Between courses, maybe serve a frozen alcoholic ice - cheap alcohol like Marc or Ouzo will be fine.

To accompany the main course, something robust, like ash baked potatoes and maybe a salad, and don't forget something for the veggies.

For dessert, an elaborate fruit cocktail, with some alcoholic cream - alternatively, get an ice-cream van, as Jamie did, if I recall correctly

Make sure to lay in plenty of wine & other drinks.

Get a live band if you can!

Likes (0)

#12 Tue 17 Apr 07 3:42am

Rofon

From Wodonga - Australia
Member since Tue 21 Feb 06

From http://www.fifteen.net/fifteentoyou/Pages/default.aspx

Fifteen to You is a personalised events company satisfying the huge demand for the Fifteen Restaurant experience at private and corporate events.

Our style of food is best described as Mediterranean classics using seasonal ingredients. You can rightly assume its Jamie style...fun & fresh using only the best, well-sourced produce.

We like things with a creative twist...be it a 6-course 'Fifteen' dining experience with wine pairings, antipasti displays, gorgeous canapés, slow-roasted pork butties, or even something a little interactive such as pasta-making lessons for guests!

We pride ourselves on a 'can-do' attitude and create personalised menus to suit our client's requirements to ensure the completion of a dynamic and memorable event every time.

We don't just do catering; we do whole event production from conception to completion... private dining for 10 people to events and parties for 100's of guests.

Last but not least, all profits from Fifteen to You go to Fifteen Foundation!

Contact Us

19/21 Nile Street
London N1 7LL
T: 0207 017 0730
F: 0207 017 0731

E: enquiries@fifteentoyou.com

Likes (0)

#13 Tue 17 Apr 07 5:30am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

If you are going to attempt to cater it you will need lots of help from friends and family and then they are tied up with all that and may not get to participate in the day the way you or they would like. For that many people I'd get a caterer. I've done family parties for 25 with Mr Rabbit and one 21st for 60 and for the most part we've ended up stuck in the kitchen the whole time even when we've had others helping with serving.

Likes (0)

#14 Tue 17 Apr 07 2:44pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

To be honest, I'd agree with that.  It's your wedding: do you really want the added stress of having to make sure nothing goes wrong with the food etc.?  Will you really be able to enjoy the day to its fullest if you're having to fulfil that task too?  After all, this is something you (hopefully) only do once.  enjoy it, make it your day, don't make it too hard on yourself.  Even if you have it catered, you can still stipulate every exact detail, so you'll retain the control but minus the responsibility of delegating.

Likes (0)

#15 Tue 17 Apr 07 3:26pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

If you decide to organise the catering yourself, you need to recruit an experienced team to do the actual cooking & serving.

You don't necessarily need to employ professionals - I've catered for quite a few large events - from Cambridge May Balls to College garden parties, Weddings, Fayres - even a Civil War re-enactment weekend, with numbers of up to 400.

I couldn't do all this myself, so have recruited a team for each occassion - youcan often find existing "teams" if yiusearch around. I have recruuted teams from local churches, from the college I was at in Cambridge, from a catering college, even from the local amateur rugby club! Elsewhere, in France, I've been part of a team cooking for the local fete du vin (we did spit roast wild boar). You will need to ask around, or even advertise) for a team. (just a thought - maybe you could get a story in the local press a few months ahead of time)

The main thing about a team is that it has a good leader who knows what they are doing, and plenty of people who will follow instructions. For a lamb roast I need 4 helpers, for a pig, 6 helpers, and for an ox - that will take 15 or so - a rugby team is ideal smile

Don't be fazed by numbers - with preparation and organization it is as easy to cater for 350 as it is for 35.

Likes (0)

#16 Fri 20 Apr 07 3:08am

kittenclaws

Forum champ
From The Med
Member since Tue 06 Jul 04

Hello Pukka. I put myself into self-imposed exile on here because I've been taking out my short temper and getting nasty.

But your post struck a chord you sweet old romantic.  You'd better take the advice given here because you clearly don't have a clue.  You're a dreamer and I'm certain it'll all work out. (If you take advice).

Likes (0)

#17 Fri 20 Apr 07 3:10am

kimber

Forum champ
Occupation Mom and TKD Red Stripe
From Alberta
Member since Sat 24 Jun 06

Hey Kitten
Glad to see you're back.  I've missed you.  Hope all is well. smile
Hugs
Kimber

Likes (0)

#18 Fri 20 Apr 07 3:23am

kittenclaws

Forum champ
From The Med
Member since Tue 06 Jul 04

kimber wrote:

Hey Kitten
Glad to see you're back.  I've missed you.  Hope all is well. smile
Hugs
Kimber

xxxx back kimber.   neutral  Thanks, that's so nice.

I think I put the wrong face there - it was meant to smile.

help

Last edited by kittenclaws (Fri 20 Apr 07 3:35am)

Likes (0)

#19 Sat 21 Apr 07 2:25pm

Pukka Kata

Member since Sun 15 Apr 07

Hi everybody,
Thank you for your kind words, patience and guidance.

Kitten I have listened - I promise.

The plans keep changing because of the level of concern expressed here, with my interests held dear to people's hearts - thank you all.

The latest is to hire a fish and chip van, together with a Mr Whippy ice cream van for pudding. tongue

Can I hire one at a fixed cost? and serve up, at no charge to our guests, how embarrasing would that be?

Peter Kay driving the icecream van, with Paddy on board would put the cream on it.

The other idea, which my beloved isn't aware of (I know it is safe with all of you), is that I plan to transport my wife in rickshaw - pedal type after the ceremony to our meadow of happiness (field). puke

Thanks one and all and please keep your ideas coming, they are highly valued.
Lots of love

PukkaKata - That isn't a cat - Kitten

X

Likes (0)

#20 Sun 22 Apr 07 4:55pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Pukka Kata, get the relatives to do the catering and you just enyoy the day !

Likes (0)