forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 09 May 07 10:13pm

linaferro

Occupation Translator
From Brazil
Member since Sat 21 Apr 07

An interesting mistake

Yesterday, I was preparing a pork tenderloin to roast, and added a dendê (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elaeis) oil base sauce to it by mistake. Dendê oil is a very common ingredient in Northeastern Brazil (especially in the State of Bahia), its golden-red color is beautiful, and it goes very well with red pepper, bell pepper, fish, shrimp, cilantro... and, surprisingly, the result was very nice!
I usually have it at home, because I love shrimp "moqueca". If anyone is interested in recipes of our typical food, I'll be glad to post them!
smile

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 10 May 07 12:10am

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Re: An interesting mistake

Hi,
I have never heard of dende oil and have no idea what it tastes like. Is it similar to any other flavor so that I can get an impression?

I found that often a mistake makes a great new recipe wink Don't you just love when that happens? It makes you come up with new combinations you never thought of or would never have dared to try wink  cool

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 10 May 07 4:13pm

linaferro

Occupation Translator
From Brazil

Susanne,
Dendê oil tastes a little bit sweet and spicy, I really don't know any other food with a similar taste... the thing is, you have to use very little of it, otherwise it will be too predominant. It's one ingredient that you'll either love or hate, no "more-or-less" there!! I know that in the US, especially New York, there are some stores selling Brazilian products, it shouldn't be impossible to find it...
Yes, I do love to make this kind of mistake!!! I'm always trying new things in the kitchen, because I love cooking with "what's in the fridge"... so, I improvise a lot!  wink

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 10 May 07 5:57pm

viviana mazzarella

Member since Mon 20 Sep 04

hi,lina nothing to do with this subject, but wanted to say thanks! for the link you gave about herbs, i have been reading a little, and found a link related to hummingbirds, it gave me lots of love, those tinny birds...!so small and wonderful, thanks again  smile

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 10 May 07 6:59pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Hi linaferro,
I have never seen Brazilian products in the stores here in Germany (except maybe Cacaca (sp) as Caipirinha was a big craze a few years ago and is still popular). sad   Will keep my eyes open though as I am always eager to try new things wink

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 10 May 07 7:04pm

linaferro

Occupation Translator
From Brazil

Viviana,
Glad you liked the herbs website, I liked it too! I just love hummingbirds, we have lots of them flying around our house because of the flowers in the garden. Sometimes they even come inside (our windows are always open)!

Susanne,
I have a Brazilian friend who lived in Germany for many, many years, maybe she knows something about finding Brazilian products there. I'll ask her and let you know!

Now, back to work...

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 10 May 07 11:06pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Dende oil is othrwise known as palm oil. It has a reddish colour and a sweetiish taste.

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 11 May 07 1:10pm

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Isnt palm oil what 2 minute noodles have been cooked in?

Why arent they red?

I googled dende oil & saw how red this stuff is... maybe the asian equivalent isnt that highly coloured?

Likes (0)