forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Thu 10 May 07 4:35pm

ANN

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Re: How do you make McDonald's-type fries?

Omni,  Sabs posted some links above that tell you how to fry them twice for perfection.   This really makes them delicious.

Likes (0)

#22 Thu 10 May 07 10:20pm

jenvdk

Occupation Mom of 2
From Alberta, Canada
Member since Mon 07 May 07

I make McDonald like fries in the oven....do you have McCain's 5- minute fries where you are?  You bake them at 450 F for about 5 - 7 minutes depending on the crispiness or not in ur case it would probably take about 5 minutes and they are the closest thing i have found to McD's and they are way better for you !  cool

Likes (0)

#23 Thu 10 May 07 11:09pm

Omni

Member since Mon 02 Aug 04

Ann, the links Sabs posted show how to make CRISPY fries, which, as I've said, are the exact OPPOSITE of delicious to me.  lol

Jenvdk, I've had baked fries, and I loathe them;  the thing that makes fries so good is the texture and flavor provided by frying...  any other method of heating them just gives tasteless strips of potato.

Likes (0)

#24 Fri 11 May 07 1:31am

jenvdk

Occupation Mom of 2
From Alberta, Canada

I swear I can't tell the difference if you cook them right...but I don't think you can get these kind just anywhere...they are made right close to where i live so maybe I'm just lucky....I normally HATE baked fries too but not these!!! wink  big_smile

Likes (0)

#25 Fri 11 May 07 1:51am

hybridarts

From Australia

hey omni

let me know if you try that lower temperature twice cooked method.  Remember though, chips taste best when they're somebaody elses! mrgreen

ADAP

Likes (0)

#26 Fri 11 May 07 5:07am

jenvdk

Occupation Mom of 2
From Alberta, Canada

I think part of the problem your having trying to copy McDonalds fries are that they don't use real potatoes to begin with ....that could be why I like these so much...who knows ..best of luck in your search for the perfect fry omni

Likes (0)

#27 Fri 11 May 07 1:02pm

amberpamba

Forum champ
Occupation Registered nurse
From Australia
Member since Thu 24 Jun 04

What do you mean they dont use real potatoes? There was a big stink up here a while back as maccas scraped their Australian potato farmer suppliers for I think it was new zealand potatoes. Unless they are growing imitation potatoes?
You can tell they are potatoes as you often get a bit of skin or a bit of the eye of the potato on some chips.

Likes (0)

#28 Fri 11 May 07 5:35pm

jenvdk

Occupation Mom of 2
From Alberta, Canada

if you look at the ingredient list provided by GeoffP you'll see that they are not just cut potatoes... thats all i meant that they preform the fries out of potato mixed with all that other junk plus I don't think they are overly careful about pulling out bits of skin or eye either so they get mixed in too!  I didn't mean to offend anyone sorry oops

Likes (0)

#29 Fri 11 May 07 7:26pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

What really puzzles me in this discussion is that THE defining element in McDonalds French Fries is that they are supposed to be, as set down by Ray Kroc, the creator of McDonald's, "crispy on the outside and buttery soft on the inside".

Kroc was, as he himself admitted,  fanatical about getting the fries right. "The french fry," he once wrote, "would become almost sacrosanct for me, its preparation a ritual to be followed religiously."

And yet, the fries Omni lusts after are the exact opposite of the fries McDonalds have spent so much money creating, and on which their business is based.

Perhaps Omni's local McD's isn't up to standard?

BTW, if you read the references I gsve, McD's do use real potatoes - the additives are in the fat.

Last edited by GeoffP (Fri 11 May 07 7:31pm)

Likes (0)

#30 Fri 11 May 07 11:30pm

Omni

Member since Mon 02 Aug 04

Is it really possible for anyone to have just eaten at ONE McDonald's for their entire life?  lol

I've been eating McDonald's fries for 40 years, in many different cities across the country;  thanks to rigid franchise control, the fries are always exactly the same...  and they're exactly what I'm trying to reproduce.

I think we might try a little microwaving before we fry;  microwaving cooks from the inside out, and this might allow us to get the fries perfectly done outside without being mealy in the middle...  what do you think?

Likes (0)