forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 27 Apr 07 3:04pm

Shari H

From Australia
Member since Tue 24 Apr 07

Cooking with Primary School Kids

I regularly cook with my children's (10 yr & 11 yr olds) classes at school.  I feel a little like, dare I say it the 'Anti-Jamie Oliver'.  Let me explain....  I tend to go in to do special cooking with them that usually involves lots of sugar, fat, colourings & flavourings.

At Easter I do chocolate/marshmallow eggs & marshmallow bunnies.  At Christmas we make rocky road Christmas trees and decorate them with royal icing and edible glitter or gingerbread houses decorated with the traditional avalance of sweets and coloured royal icing.

Other than these specific occasions, I go in and make various biscuits, small cakes & muffins because they can be accomplished quickly and are easily distributed to the class.

I am keen to expand my repetoire to incorporate some healthier items that can still be considered fun and worth the effort because they will still capture the kids' imagination.  So many of these kids just don't cook, I am feeling a little guilty that I always do unhealthy food at school.

I would appreciate any recipes or suggestions you may have. (Items need to have reasonable lasting qualities as they often have to last up to 2-3 weeks.) help

Last edited by Shari H (Fri 27 Apr 07 3:05pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 28 Apr 07 6:06am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Re: Cooking with Primary School Kids

How about making fruit kebabs - have fruit pieces already cut up and getting the kids to thread them on to skewers.

I found a few links to recipe websites using google:

http://www.cyh.com/HealthTopics/HealthT … mp;id=1514

http://www.abc.net.au/children/play/make/recipes/

http://www.passionforpulses.com/recipes/hotpot.html

http://www.healthykids.nsw.gov.au/infopages/2152.html

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 28 Apr 07 1:28pm

Shari H

From Australia

Thanks for the suggestion White Rabbit fruit kebabs is a lovely idea for a snack at school but wouldn't have lasting properties.

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 28 Apr 07 2:27pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

Ah, I hadn't read that last line but why would they need to last? Sugar is a good preserving ingredient as is salt so I don't know if a "healthier" item would last that long. All the cooking I ever did at school was eaten at the time. Do cakes and muffins last that long? I thought 2-3 days was the limit for baked goods.

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 01 May 07 4:29pm

Shari H

From Australia

White Rabbit, Easter cooking only has to last about a week.  Christmas stuff, gingerbread houses and rocky road last about 2 weeks easily which is about the time that there is between school breaking up and Christmas.  So the products we make are fine over these time periods.  What I help the kids make is sent home beautifully packaged with a calligraphied nametags that provides the kids a gift they can present to their families for sharing.  It is not just for cooking and scoffing, it is more like edible art!

As you pointed out salt is a good preserving ingredient but what could I make that would provide a family with a gift?  This is the question.

I did cooking at school and I loved taking the result of my labour to share with my family (sometimes to their advantage, sometimes not!).  I guess that is also some of the appeal of making these opportunities for the kids.

Last edited by Shari H (Tue 01 May 07 4:34pm)

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 02 May 07 11:14am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

Preserved lemons are produced with salt and are stored in jars (easier to handle).

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 02 May 07 5:00pm

Shari H

From Australia

Hi White Rabbit,
Preserved Lemons are a great Idea for adults to enjoy but I can't see them being generally acceptable to fairly anglo-saxon 10/11 yr olds .

You have given me an idea however, perhaps we should preserve some other fruit.  Still sugar, probably but better.

I must sound incredibly fussy but there is no point if it is not going to be enjoyed by the kids doing the work.  I am still keen to seek your ideas for other possibilities.

I do lots of savoury cooking at home.  My background is Chinese/Italian so my children have an extremely varied diet.  The kids at school think its really exotic if my kids take sushi in for lunch.

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 02 May 07 5:19pm

LadyRed

Forum champ
From Vienna, Austria
Member since Wed 18 Aug 04

Hi Shari! Good on you to try out new things, my niece and nephew love when we let them help with the cooking and they are only 4 + 7.

Both of them really like olives and we marrinated them with different oils and spices and even along with some feta cheese cubes. When they are ready to eat they like putting them on cheese cubes with funcy coloured toothpics.

Not sure if other kids like that?

Or how about savoury cookies with cheese and spices sprinkled on top before baking? My mum made them when I was little and I enjoyed helping.

Last edited by LadyRed (Wed 02 May 07 5:20pm)

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 18 May 07 3:47am

Shari H

From Australia

Hi LadyRed, savoury cookies is a great idea!  I have a variety of cutters that could be used to reflect the occassion being celebrated.  Cheese is great for the not so adventurous and spices will be good for those ready to try something more interesting. 

I am Eurasian so my kids are used to exposure to a varied diet and one of the things they love most as a treat is pickled octopus.. not an option for most of their friends however.  Most of their mates have fairly bland palates.  No doubt they would enjoy greater exposure to different tastes if it was introduced gradually.

Any chance of your savoury biscuit recipe?

Cheers! big_smile

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 18 May 07 1:59pm

justinemum

Member since Thu 04 Jan 07

What about doing some flapjack (oats, golden syrup, brown sugar) you can add raisins,dried apricots or other dried fruit  too.  It lasts quite a while - well in my house it doesn't cos it gets eaten but it would last in a bag or wrapping.

Likes (0)