forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 13 Jun 07 2:10am

stuvik

Occupation IT - Programmer
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Tue 22 May 07

Quiche - a random combination

Not sure what to do for dinner last night I did some experimentation with some stuff I found in the fridge and made a quiche! It turned out quite well so I thought I'd put it up here.

Stuvik's 'Natural Disaster' Quiche wink

Ingredients:
2 zucchini (courgettes) - largeish...approx 20cm long and 4cm diameter
2 big handfuls of mushrooms
200g diced ham - I used a tin of spam. It's all I had at the time!
50g butter
2 large cloves of garlic
9 slices of wholemeal bread with crusts cut off - the crusts can be saved to make croutons in other dishes.
12 eggs
Parmesan cheese
Salt & pepper

Serves: 4

Directions
* Preheat oven to 180C
* Slice the courgettes and mushrooms to approx. 5mm slices
* Cut ham to cubes between 5mm and 1cm square
* [easy garlic butter] With the (softened) butter add 1 clove of garlic finely chopped and some salt and pepper. Liberally grease a baking dish (mine was 250mm square x 50mm tall) with the garlic butter. Set any excess butter aside
* Line the bottom of the dish with the slices of wholemeal bread. Drizzle the rest of the garlic butter (melted) over the bread
* Combine the courgettes, mushrooms and ham in a large mixing bowl along with the 12 eggs. Note: The ingredients will vary depending on the size of the baking dish you use
* Add a finely chopped clove of garlic, salt (1~2 tsp) and pepper (to taste) to the egg mix
* Pour the egg mix into the baking dish
* Top with grated parmesan (or cheese of choice)

Put in the oven and cook for approx 45mins. I wasn't sure so I checked every 15mins or so.

The taste of the quiche is salty from the ham, cheese and salt, flavoursome from the mushrooms, and a little sweet due to the courgettes.

This can be modified no end. I could've put fresh herbs in (parsley, basil, oregano, thyme) but forgot oops

Regards.

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 13 Jun 07 9:34am

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Re: Quiche - a random combination

Sounds yummy !

Likes (0)