forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 04 Jun 07 4:32am

Chef_Beatle

Member since Mon 04 Jun 07

help

help  help  help  help  question  question  question

hi im 18 and live in austraila tomoro i start  my apprenticeship in the best reastraunt in town under a great head chef im really worried if this is the best thing for me to do i dont want to stuff it up or upset my parents i couldnt of asked for a better job but thats whats making me so nervious i need some to tell me that its a good decision

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 04 Jun 07 4:48am

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

Re: help

Hi! You have to start somewhere and its only normal to be kind of nervous about your first day! Just listen, put your head down and work your ass off, take mental notes and dont forget to put in more than a hard days work... I dont work in a kitchen but thats just some good old fashion advise. Wish you lots of luck on your first day!!!!!!  mrgreen

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 04 Jun 07 5:28am

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

Hi Chef_Beatle,

It is always a little daunting when heading into the unknown, and its normal and natural.

Be positive and enjoy the experience.

All the best.

Shammy smile

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 04 Jun 07 10:23am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

It's the same even when you have a lot of experience. I'm going to start a new job soon doing something i'm more than qualified to do and I'm still a bit nervous about doing a good enough job. It's normal for feel nervous about a big decision. When it comes down to it, you'll probably succeed, and even if you don't your parents will love you anyway. Take deep breaths every time you feel nervous and just focus on what you are being taught.

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 17 Jun 07 5:49am

Chef_Beatle

Member since Mon 04 Jun 07

thanks guys  big_smile ive just finnished my 2nd week its hard work but im loving it i hate being slower than everyone else thought but that comes with practice i guess xoxo

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 17 Jun 07 6:09am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

Get yourself a note pad and write things down so you don't forget them - especially those wee little tips that you will not learn in TAFE.

I am glad you are enjoying this so much.

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 17 Jun 07 6:35pm

mutiny

From Melbourne
Member since Mon 30 Apr 07

what restaurant are you working at (and in what city)?

i started a couple of weeks ago at Va Tutto in Melbourne (won the Herald Sun's Restaurant Of The Year) smile

Its bloody hard work, and theres so much pressure. What kinda jobs they got you to do? Have you had to be the dish-pig yet? lol. God, they've got me taking over a whole section in the next couple of days! hmm Even when i write stuff down (which doesnt get to happen very often because everything is happening so fast and they want things done straight away) i still end up forgetting coz i dont have time to think about it lol.

also, does anyone know the award wages for a starting apprentice chef?

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 17 Jun 07 7:17pm

Jarrad.S

Member since Sun 17 Jun 07

hey mate i know exactly how u feel smile i can garauntee that most of the people here worried....

here are some useful tips trust me i learnt the hard way.

#1. dont stress when u stuff something up, if its majorly important and your not sure just say excuse me chef i think i have made a mistake.

#2. if a chef yells at you or gets snappy dont let it get to you just go with it keep your eyes off the floor and on your task.

#3. if your not sure ask, miracles dont come from first year apprentices...

#4. Chefs orders ALWAYS!!! come first

#5. dont ever give lip to your chef stuff like that, always show your keen to make improvement and just say "chef can u show me a way i can increase the speeds, precesion of my cutting" that will also show ambition

#6 good luck mate hope it all works well ive been in the job for 1 month and 2 weeks,

ohhh p.s if a chef is in a bad mood dont think of him as an uptight pain in the backside, cause doing meals can be a real mind boggle cause u gotta remember all certain stuff...

once again go for it buddy hope it all works well

Likes (0)