Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 18 Aug 07 11:23am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Edible flowers

I was wondering what flowers we have all eaten.

I have  eaten.....

Nastursiums flowers, they have a slight peppery taste, they look very pretty on a salad.

Pansey flowers..to me did not taste of very much , but again they are realy beautifull in a salad as they are all so different. I have frozen little panseys in blocks of ice before, they look pretty n a drink at a party or when visitors call. I have also made 'ice bowls' in the past with panseys and other flowers frozen into the ice..realy pretty .

I have crystalised tiny Violets, tiny 'heartsese ' panseys and primroses
for cake decoration,,and eating.

Clover flowers, the little little fluffy heads on these flowers have an interesting texture!!

I am not sure if you are meant to eat then but...Elderberry flowers.. I have made wine with elderberry flowers, I tried eating them a couple times in a salad but I was not keen on them (I was  a student at the timeand 'food for free was all the rage  lol ! )

Herb flowers.. chives
                     thymes
                     basil
                     rosemary
                     lemon balm
                     lavender
                     fennel

There are flowering vegetables that we all know..broccoli,cauliflower , purple sprouting etc.

I did not know untill recently that you could eat courgette flowers, I can imagine the texture of the flower if it is eaten fresh, but, can anyone tell me what sort of texture that they have if they are cooked ..for example battered and fried... ( I have been wondering this as I think that the texture of the petal might go a little ...dare I say it...slimy ...but be held together by a batter.... any idea anyone ?

So ...what floweres have we all eaten..and what do you know is edible.

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 18 Aug 07 2:07pm

Alex G

Forum champ
Occupation Student/Commis chef
From Brighton/ Bournemouth
Member since Sat 29 Oct 05

Re: Edible flowers

I don't eat flowers, they aren't manly enough.

Though in seriousness, most popular ones I have eaten - chives, thyme, basil, rosemary, fennel, broccoli, cauliflower.

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 18 Aug 07 7:33pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

I suppose that flowers in salad could be considered a bit girly I had never realy thought about it.

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 21 Aug 07 4:26pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

rose petals are also edible  smile

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 24 Aug 07 10:31pm

Coffeegeek

From Sunny Berkshire
Member since Thu 03 Nov 05

The courgette flowers certainly go a bit soft after they've been battered and fried, but not unpleasantly so. The bit down by the stalk stays quite crunchy.
I seem to remember years ago dipping bunches of elderflowers in batter and frying them and then serving them with a sprinkling of sugar. You can also add elder flowers to gooseberries when cooking them and get a lovely muscat grape flavour.

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 04 Sep 07 9:20pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

bump..

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 05 Sep 07 8:26pm

Laney's Patch

Member since Wed 05 Sep 07

You can fry Elderberry flowers in a light batter, then melt icecream on them...divine.  You must try it next year.  smile

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 06 Sep 07 4:34pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

I love elderflower cordial, I have had elderflower icecream and I have made elderfower wine in the past.. but elderberry flowers battered and fried.. I have not had.. I might try this next year if I see some elderberry trees.
Can't say that I was at all impressed with elderberry flowers ,fresh, in a salad though.

Likes (0)

#9 Sun 09 Sep 07 8:14am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Nasturstiam, zucchini, lavender, chive, roses... if tea counts then add camomile to that list too.

I can remember thinking how crazy all the adults were eating the nasturstiams out of the punch when I was a kid lol It was always well into the night big_smile

Mummza, when my heartsease come up I will sneak a few into a salad & see how much it freaks out the family....

Likes (0)

#10 Sun 09 Sep 07 1:42pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Have you ever made an  'Ice Bowl' frizz... made by

getting 2 bowls the same shape as each other , (one bowl being about 2 sizes smaller than the other,)
Put  a some  water in the base of the larger bowl and then place the smaller bowl ontop of the water so that it floats and the rims are the same height.(don't forget to leave a bit of a gap at the top as it expands as the ice  freezes)
Fix the inner bowl to the outer bowl with a lengths of sellotape in about 4 places so that it inner bowl remains central.
Very carefully place some edible flowers and herbs  between the gaps and so that they are submerged into the water and they are 'tucked in' all around the bowl
place in the freezer . It takes quite a long time for it to freeze solid.

When frozen ..and you are ready to use it.. remove from the freezer and some warm water into the center bowl so that it loosens and can be removed
run some warm water over the outside of the outer bowl and remove that also..

Voila..an ice bowl. These look so pretty on the table as they look like thick glass with flowers encased inside.

You can use these to serve icecream of anything that you want kept chilled... however , they do melt so they do not last for hours as a table display!!! lol

Likes (0)