Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 18 Sep 07 3:48am

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

Your Kitchen...

Describe your kitchen! Big, small, favorite tool, favorite appliance, you name it! Add a pic if you want! Any ideas you want to share? Let's see your spice cupboard or drawer! I just cleaned mine out, lol, I think there were spices in there from goodness knows when! They are in the garbage now ( shame on me ) and I will only buy dry spices as I use them!

Do you have art in your kitchen? Chalk boards or maybe you want to show off you cookbooks or anything unusual or unique you would like to share?? Keep in mind, this is a family space... wink

Let's see the kitchens across the world here on Jamies Forum! We have so many!

Hey, add you too!

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 18 Sep 07 12:37pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Re: Your Kitchen...

My kitchen is not very big and the cupboards are all varied, as I did not really have much money to outfit it. One is a 1940s or 50s white cupboard that dates back to my late great grandmother. I don't think it will survive another move. It is wedged in between wall and fridge otherwise it slightly leans sideways.....

I have a big fridge-freezer combination and my oven/stove is the old-fashioned electric kind: no ceramic top, no air vent, no extras... coffee pot, water kettle, microwave...

But everyone admires my spice rack. I have lots and lots of spices and I do use them all.

There is a long book board that holds most of my cook books, but as I buy lots of them and give away only few, some don't fit.

Not much room left for art work, but there are some smaller pictures (mostly IKEA cards in little IKEA frames sometimes repainted to my taste). And a van Gogh nightcafe painted by all the guests of our wedding at our wedding reception. Refrigerator poetry on the fridge and art work by my friend's 5-year old daughter.

Generally I try to do the best with limited space wink

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 18 Sep 07 4:01pm

Alex G

Forum champ
Occupation Student/Commis chef
From Brighton/ Bournemouth
Member since Sat 29 Oct 05

My kitchen is tiny and not the best eqquiped (though it's getting decorated soon). It's so small the fridge/freezer won't fit in there. Electric hob, oven and grill. Enough knives to do most things. As long as I can cook some tasty food i'm happy.

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 18 Sep 07 4:36pm

itsmarie

Forum champ
Occupation Experimental learning
From Surrey UK
Member since Sat 18 Aug 07

My Kitchen is quite small but im quite good with storage options so it works well, i Have Black granit worktops and black tiles with shaker style cupboards in oak (wait for it) Pink walls with 50`s style tea/Sug/coff pots and utensil holders also in pink, i have 2 spice racks that are strips of Aluminium which do the job very well and as my spices grow so can my shelves,lots of pots and pans and my could not do without food processor,  A small part of one of my walls is filled with cookery books i have collected over the years and my window sill has growing herbs my only problem i have is little black flies there driving me mad!!!!!! any suggestions helpfull. large fridge freezer but NO dishwasher sad  but im working on it, as on Tv yesterday it was proven that dishwashers filled properly are more enviromentally friendly than washing up if you have a family of 4 or more, so i can feel a little less guilty about owning one now ha!

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 18 Sep 07 5:19pm

confuzed

From Shanghai ;-)
Member since Thu 07 Apr 05

Ha! Trust me- I have never felt guilty about having a dishwasher! Rather it than me... wink

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 18 Sep 07 5:41pm

itsmarie

Forum champ
From Surrey UK

ooooooooooo feel so much better ha lol

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 19 Sep 07 1:34am

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

Lol, I have lived in many places and have had almost nothing to where I am now and only have what I need, not what I want.

I think having or adding older pieces adds charactor! I would love to have an antique/old piece to hold plates, etc... I have a galley style kitchen and dont have room for something like that. Its a big kitchen but it's not laid out well, it was built in the 70's.

Alex, how's the decorating going? So, is the kitchen next?

itsmarie, you gotta get that dishwasher woman! lol  I like the idea of having something quirky in the kitchen. I have a small space above the pantry that needed something. I am not one for fake flowers or things of that nature so I put up my small teapot collection. Most were bought in China. They are the really small ones and are different in shape. There is also 2 sake vessels that were bought in Japan. It looks ok since they are all pottery.

The next thing I would like to buy for the kitchen is what's called a gel mat. You can see what I mean here www.gelmats.com. I have a carpet runner that stretches  the length from my sink to the end of the stove now but I think its getting a little sad looking these days!

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 19 Sep 07 10:05am

itsmarie

Forum champ
From Surrey UK

Hey BCrain, Those mats look good, id love my whole kitchen floor done in that stuff though how fab would that be, you would never get me out the kitchen ha ha ha my flooring is also black with granit and glitter i love it, and if you like quirky i have a beautiful wooden mouse door fixed to my front door and with every holiday or event that passes, my mouses door gets decorated too, im now looking for miniture halloween decorations.  smile

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 19 Sep 07 11:29am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Great thread - so here's a tour of my new kitchen.

Its quite a decent size, 12 ft x 9 ft, and fully fitted out with white "country style" units, black "granite look" work surfaces with a rustic tile splashback, black tiled floor, and the walls a sort of dusty orange.

Coming in the door from the hallway, to the right is the built in pantry - full height doorway, leading into 3ft x 3ft cupboard, fully shelved for bulky items. then we get to the kitchen proper.

Starting the tour in a clockwise direction.

On the left is the fridge/freezer - freezer below for frozen veg, fruit and fish, along with pastries, pies etc., fridge above for cheese, milk, cream and opened jams & sauces, bacon, eggs etc.

Next 5 ft run of worksurface, with fridge under mainly for cold drinks, followed by corner cupboard for casserole dishes, mixing bowls, trays, small cutting boards etc.. from the corner, another 4ft run of work surface, with drawers under for cutlery, teatowels, hand towels & cloths etc.. On the work surface, Kenwood chef, rechargeable multi tool (beater, stick liquidiser, knife), then knife & tool block, heavy chopping board and deep fat fryer. Above the work surface, run of 8 power sockets. Then, cupboards over the surface, first with unopened tins, bottles & jars, plus salts, peppers, sauces, honeys and condiments. At the top, unopenedbulk spices and seasonings. Next the glass fronted vinegars cupboard, with bulk long life spices (e.g. nutmegs, dried limes,dried coconuts etc.) over. Next in the corner cupboard comes the everyday crockery - plates. bowls, serving dishes etc.. Then another glass fronted cupboard for the oils, with about a dozen different oils. The cafetiers and coffe equipment above. The final cupboard on this run contains the mugs below, with the fancy crockery above. OK - thats the first corner!

Now comes the doorway to the second storage area, toilet and into the conservatory - ut more of that later.

The other side of the door we come to a 12ft run of units. First a small unit, with cookware - baking trays, bread tins, roasting pans, etc.etc. Over that is a metal rod shelf for some pans, with hooks below fir kitchen utensils (lots of them). Next comes my cooker - 110 Leisure Rangemaster, with gas hob and gas double oven - 4 burners + griddle and warming plate, with gas grill under and with a glass lid on top which lifts into a splashback. I'm waiting for the black glass splashback to go between the tiles and the hood - I'm having to have that made. Above that, there's the extractor hood and fan, which vents outside. The cooker is "British Racing Green" with brass fittings that you can dry towels on. Next, another small unit, with pestles & mortars, balti dishes and overflow bakeware.

Then a double unit, with double porcelain sink & drainer, under the sink is the storage for washung up stuff, powders, cleaning materials etc.. Over that is a window, looking out onto the small area next to the garden shed where we grow some herbs.

Next comes a corner unit, with pots and pans under, plus rice cooker, slow cooker, mandoline, griddle pans etc.. On the work surface, there is the electric kettle, toaster, bread bin, tea, coffe and sugar jars and combination microwave/oven/grill. Over that another 8 power sockets. Round the corner under the wok surface are three wide drawer. Top drawer contains all the small utensils, then below two drawers full of pots, pans, cast iron casseroles, cast iron and other frying pans, tagine etc. Above, the top cupboards have, first "breakfast" stuff - tea, coffee, cereals, with cake tins over. The next cupboard has the breakfast mugs at the bottom, plus large wineglasses at the top. A corner cupboard next, with vases, jugs, and such like. Finally, another glass fronted cupboard with glassware.

Now comes a 9ft run of work surface for doing the baking, pasta making etc, with a wide window looking out onto the front garden. Under that is first the Dishwasher, then a space for kitchen steps and waste bins. Then a small cupboard for dishwasher and washing powders, liquids etc., and finally the washing machine.

That takes us right back to the side of the pantry, and completes tge kitchen tour.

But theres more smile

Through the door I mentioned before, on the right is the chest freezer, for long term storage - mainly meat and some bread. There is another window over the freezer. Straight ahead is the lobby into the toilet.

On the left is the coatrack, and then a six foot run of 8ft high cupboards. First has the wine rack at the bottom, with over that the drinks cupboard, with drop down flap. Then, two rows of bookshelves. At the very top is the storage for occasional items - Large bread bowl, port pourer, etc.

Next cupboard as a low open space at the bottom is for shoes. boots etc.. Over that is a large cupboard. From the bottom, flours, pastas and noodles. Next shelf up is baking and cake & dessert making supplies. Next is the sauces and liquids - mainly oriental, such as nam pla, soy, mirin, teriaki, anchovy, mushroom, plum, etc. etc. etc.. Next shelf the pickles and preserves. Above that the dry goods - beans, peas, other pulses, grains, couscous, etc. etc.. Then the final shelf has overflow and larger jars of spices, and such odds and ends as molasses and treacles.

The door of thus cupboard is rather special. It's on re-inforced hinges, and has seven shelves with fiddle rails for spice jars - 80 different spices here for immediate use!

Above another occasional cupboard for Mongolian steamboat, chinese steamers and such.

Next cupboard is a long one at the bottom for ironing board, vacuum cleaner, brushes etc.. Above there are two more bookshelves, and finally a top cupboard for Spanish cazuelas and tapas dishes.

Then, the archway into the conservatory, which is also our dining room. There is another coatrack on the other side of the archway.

And thats it for your exhaustive tour of the kitchen. If I get time tomorrow, I'll post some pictures.

Its not perfect - but it works, and I'll make any necessary changes as I go on.

What do you think?

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 19 Sep 07 2:55pm

itsmarie

Forum champ
From Surrey UK

Wow What a kitchen, it sounds amazing and you described it so well, it looks like you have a place and a space for everything and a dishwasher im jealous mrgreen

Likes (0)